Princess fine art no more !

curiouscat

I'm currently on the Emerald and found out that Princess fine art is being dissolved and they are going back to Park West:confused::eek:

The poor guy is going back to Canada as he refuses to work for them..he said no way is he having that co on his resume... And I can't believe with all the lawsuits they would contract with them !!!

If I don't reply its because I burn through the 250 mins and the email here is way slow as y'all know

CC

All of the art auctions should be taken off all ships. Takes up to much room and most of it is ugly anyway.

It only generates money because a lot of people like to have things to look at in their homes, like us. You don't have to buy anything you think is "ugly" and the prices for the prints are much better than in any gallery as I have compared them. Each to their own.;)

Over the years we have purchased art from Princess to decorate our house. They have dealt with integrity, including a complete refund in one case due to an issue.

We have kept track of prices, and found those offered by Princess (Global) Fine Arts to be favorable to what was available elsewhere.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. We find the art we've purchased to be quite beautiful, even after years on our walls. We've had professional decorators who have been struck dumb by the beauty and presentation.

I believe a move to Park West would be a mistake, as they do not have a reputation of integrity.

Over the years we have purchased art from Princess to decorate our house. They have dealt with integrity, including a complete refund in one case due to an issue.

We have kept track of prices, and found those offered by Princess (Global) Fine Arts to be favorable to what was available elsewhere.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. We find the art we've purchased to be quite beautiful, even after years on our walls. We've had professional decorators who have been struck dumb by the beauty and presentation.

I believe a move to Park West would be a mistake, as they do not have a reputation of integrity.

My point was not to discuss the pros/cons of the art auctions but the actual decision to go to Park West... the employee was willing to give up his job and go home rather than stay on with this co...

And Karen , I'm aware of multiple lawsuits against them..just google !

Well off to the spa.. it's been a nice cruise albeit a few hiccups but nothing tragic...:D

CC

It only generates money because a lot of people like to have things to look at in their homes, like us. You don't have to buy anything you think is "ugly" and the prices for the prints are much better than in any gallery as I have compared them. Each to their own.;)

On that we both can agree. Each to his own.

Edited by Potstech

It only generates money because a lot of people like to have things to look at in their homes, like us. You don't have to buy anything you think is "ugly" and the prices for the prints are much better than in any gallery as I have compared them. Each to their own.
If princess read every post on cruise critic, and removed every feature, show, program, amenity, etc. that someone said doesn't belong, they would not have a ship. Name any thing, and some one here has complained about it.

Its a very simple reason. If Princess runs the art program, they assume all risk (inventory, loss, staffing, etc). Outsourcing it transfers the risk/cost to another party, at the tradeoff of a lower but usually guaranteed income.

Park West will probably pay a 'rental' fee for the space and a cut of sales.

I don't think there are that many vendors out there besides Park West that can handle the volume and offshore staffing, other issues aside.

I don't think there are that many vendors out there besides Park West that can handle the volume and offshore staffing, other issues aside.

Or legal issues.

RCCL eliminated their relationship with Park West earlier this year.

From a Cruise Critic article earlier this year:

"On ships that offer art auctions, Park West Gallery still has a stronghold, with a presence aboard Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Line and Regent Seven Seas; West End Gallery does business aboard Disney Cruise Line ships; and British American Auctions holds court on Celebrity Cruises ships. Princess Cruises decided years ago that it could operate a more engaging auction presence aboard its ships than any mainstream gallery could, so it created the Princess Fine Arts Auction. Many Princess passengers appreciate knowing with exactly whom they're dealing when it comes to these purchases, and dealing with an in-house company gives them an increased sense of security when buying art onboard. Ten years ago, almost every major cruise ship offered auctions, but that's not the case now. Both Windstar Cruises and Oceania Cruises dropped auctions from their rosters in recent years, and Royal Caribbean ended a longtime relationship with Park West."

Edited by caribill

I'm really kinda surprised, because I always got the impression that it does pretty well for them. There's a couple of artists that are pretty big on the Princess ships that I'm guessing aren't going to be interested at all in dealing with PW, and some of them have some pretty long standing relationships with Princess.