Diabetic advice

Jo and Rob

We are sailing on Caribbean Princess with Rob who is now diabetic. This will be his first cruise on Princess since the diagnosis and I wondered what is always available and what has to be pre-ordered.

On P&O they have diabetic cakes always available for afternoon tea and diabetic ice cream in the MDR but you can pre-order any dessert the night before.

Edited by Jo and Rob

I am diabetic -and have been for over 20 years.

Princess has a number of sugar free desserts. They are also right sized portions (of course if you eat 3 or 4 of them...:().

One can do well by following the suggestions that he should have received from a nutritionist. By rising carbs with proteins and avoiding the sweeter sauces-eating green vegetables and avoiding the breakfast pastries he should do fine.

Avoid the Buffet as much as possible. It is much harder to eat the proper portion sizes there and there is a lot more temptation!

One final thing. If he makes a mistake one night and has too much of the wrong things, or, if he really really wants something on a particular night, he shouldn't be upset. Lapses happen and it is better to simply more on and do better the next time.

I have a passion for the depths apple pie, which they also serve with the Baked Alaska. I have ordered both....:D

Tell him to relax, you can cruise and eat well too-even with diabetes.

Edited by AKman2495

We are sailing on Caribbean Princess with Rob who is now diabetic. This will be his first cruise on Princess since the diagnosis and I wondered what is always available and what has to be pre-ordered.

On P&O they have diabetic cakes always available for afternoon tea and diabetic ice cream in the MDR but you can pre-order any dessert the night before.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years ago. I watch what I eat when sailing (after all, it's up to me to make my choices and not the cruise line's), eat protein and fresh veggies. I go easy on fruit but still enjoy it. I have my small ice cream or gelato once or twice, and I do take my blood sugar at least once a day and am faithful to my metformin. Am I perfect, not by a long shot. AKman's advice is pretty much what I would say, and right on target. I'd add that walking as much as possible and perhaps some light gym work or energetic dancing will add to a successful food trip. The portion sizes for everything are perfect for maintaining a healthy blood sugar level. Have a wonderful time!

Oh one other thing, you can pre-alert the ship that you are diabetic and they will present you with a special menu each evening to select for the next night. I haven't done this because I was told by someone (no idea if it's true) they they pretty much subsisted on fish, chicken and salads for 2 weeks. Your choice.

Maureen

Edited by jrzebird

Hi Rob..sorry about your new found life style. Gets easier.

Princess does offer some sugar free or no sugar added ice cream..usually pretty good. In Horizon court as well as dining room.

Sugar free cakes and desserts are a hit or miss..try something and leave if not happy.

I order cheesecake and eat one third and pass the rest.

If you don't see anything at the Horizon Court ask, sometimes more is in the kitchen.

They do have sugar pancake syrup. As well as sugar free salad dressing.

Luckily, the ice tea is fresh brewed and no sugar added.

Regarding a pre ordered dessert..like I said..eat one third cheesecake..baking sugar free tasty desserts is an art..

Always ask for sauces to be on the side. Always find the waiters to be so accommodating.

Good luck on your first trip living the new life...Traded Bahama Mamas and Slippery Monkeys for Bloody Mary's (less sugar).

Edited by BRANDEE

I also am a diabetic. What I usually have is:

Breakfast is oatmeal and some prunes and coffee. Sometimes I will have a different fruit from the buffet.

Lunch is a salad from the buffet. I will have one roll with it.

Dinner is meat, vegetable and salad.

I am not going to say that I stay away from the breads as that is my weakness. However, like life, everything in moderation. There is sugar free deserts as well.

I actually counteract the great food by exercising more. Seems to help. I don't drink soda. There really is a lot there for those on restricted diets. I think you will do just fine :)

Edited by greenie082756

I'm a Type 2 diabetic which I control totally by diet and never have a problem ordering from the regular menu.

He might want to discuss those "sugar free" desserts with his doctor/nutritionist ... not as good for diabetics as many think.

Basically, I eat ANYTHING I wish in limited quantities. :D

LuLu

Sorry to jump in here, but this brought something to mind.

Mrs. Grey had to begin using insulin recently. Are the room "refrigerators" sufficiently cold enough for her to store her supplies?

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

Mrs. Grey had to begin using insulin recently. Are the room "refrigerators" sufficiently cold enough for her to store her supplies?

Grey

Yes. I take both injectable Humatrope (HGH) and insulin. Refrigerator does just enough to keep them cold. My insulin I do not have to put in there as long as the room temp is not higher than 80 degrees.

I travel with a case that keeps refrigerated medicine cold. Love it!

I am diabetic -and have been for over 20 years.

Princess has a number of sugar free desserts. They are also right sized portions (of course if you eat 3 or 4 of them...:().

One can do well by following the suggestions that he should have received from a nutritionist. By rising carbs with proteins and avoiding the sweeter sauces-eating green vegetables and avoiding the breakfast pastries he should do fine.

Avoid the Buffet as much as possible. It is much harder to eat the proper portion sizes there and there is a lot more temptation!

One final thing. If he makes a mistake one night and has too much of the wrong things, or, if he really really wants something on a particular night, he shouldn't be upset. Lapses happen and it is better to simply more on and do better the next time.

I have a passion for the depths apple pie, which they also serve with the Baked Alaska. I have ordered both....:D

Tell him to relax, you can cruise and eat well too-even with diabetes.

Our Roll Call members are absolutely correct. DH and I are both diabetic, and there are plenty of good choices, many you might not think of. We avoid concentrated sugars such as fruit juice. An apple, orange, berries or melon is a good alternative, many less calories-most of them sugar, more roughage et al.

Multi-grain bread or half toasted bagel vs loading up on white flour rolls and pastries. At least one sugar-free dessert each evening in the MDR. Low sugar pudding and Jello other options, if your husband can tolerate artificial sweeteners or alcohol sugars, (like manitol, xylitol).

Diabetics also need to be mindful of high fat foods, even those without sugar.

Lower fat dressings, skim milk, yogurt, frozen desserts are still satisfying. A light touch with butter and other sauces. Lean meats, chicken without skin, broiled fish, steamed/fresh veggies and salads all get high marks.

Alcohol = sugar, so a light beer or small glass of wine now and again is acceptable. As an RN, I tend to think of my sugars/carb as an allowance. So much per day; a goodly amount for a splurge dinner, means clear soup and salad for lunch and so on.

Egg white omelets in the morning with a wedge of fresh melon. Protein is key to helping you feel satisfied, with blood sugar levels on an even keel. A small protein snack in the evening before bedtime is also helpful.

You don't say if your husband is on pills or shots. Mine is on pills, and needs reminding to never take an oral hypoglycemic without eating a meal straightaway. Portion control was the other challenge, but once learned it is not cumbersome, even on vacation. BTW: In my own case this has become almost automatic, and I am thrilled to say my Type 2 diabetes is now wholly diet-controlled.

Lunch and dinner proteins should be about the size of a deck of cards. White flour items and white rice will quickly raise blood sugar, and portion size should be limited to half a cup. Many other choices for carbs, even on a cruise, and after just a year of revamping DH's portions and choices, (plain iced tea vs sugared high fructose sodas for example), weight is down by 60 pounds and he has been able to drop one diabetic medication completely with the blessings of his Doctor

The attitude of "I can have all these things" rather than the dwelling on "I can no longer have that" makes for a healthy mantra. The Maitre' d and Head Waiter can also be great resources once you are on board. Have a wonderful time!

RichardRamsfanwiththatJeffBridgesvibegoingonNov2014.jpg.2e6f166e9a5b243210db1a070f03ba23.jpg

Edited by kcfoxy

Yes. I take both injectable Humatrope (HGH) and insulin. Refrigerator does just enough to keep them cold. My insulin I do not have to put in there as long as the room temp is not higher than 80 degrees.

Another diabetic here. Insulin doesn't need to be kept cold, but it will only last 30 days before it looses it's "oomph". I use two different insulin so, one fast acting and onl longer acting. I get a 6-month supply at one time, 5 bottles go in the fridge and one bottle goes in my bedside night stand; this goes for both of my different insulins.

I pretty much eat what I want - in moderation. My meat is predominantly fish or chicken with occasionally a steak thrown in for balance. Breads are my weakness, so I have to be careful there. Of course one needs to be careful about the amount of certain veggies one eats. Corn, for example, is high in sugar, so I don't have a lot of that. - as much as I like it! Cruising for diabetics really isn't a problem.

Edited by Treven

Grey

Call special needs. They can advise you as to insulin storage and will arrange a sharps container for the room (can also be obtained once on board, just tell your cabin steward).

Another diabetic here. Insulin doesn't need to be kept cold, but it will only last 30 days before it looses it's "oomph". I use two different insulin so, one fast acting and onl longer acting. I get a 6-month supply at one time, 5 bottles go in the fridge and one bottle goes in my bedside night stand; this goes for both of my different insulins.

I pretty much eat what I want - in moderation. My meat is predominantly fish or chicken with occasionally a steak thrown in for balance. Breads are my weakness, so I have to be careful there. Of course one needs to be careful about the amount of certain veggies one eats. Corn, for example, is high in sugar, so I don't have a lot of that. - as much as I like it! Cruising for diabetics really isn't a problem.

Thanks to both of you for the input. Mrs. Grey also has the two different types of insulin. For some reason, I was under the impression that it required refrigeration, so it looks like we're in good shape.

Best wishes to the OP for an enjoyable cruise!

Grey

Call special needs. They can advise you as to insulin storage and will arrange a sharps container for the room (can also be obtained once on board, just tell your cabin steward).

Thanks for that info, will do.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

If you stick to the diet your physician gave you there should be no problem. On board there numerous food item to pick from. Stay away from sugar free desserts and diet drinks as they are not good for a diabetic. It causes the metabolism to get messed up. Regarding insulin, I use FRIO bean containers to travel with. You soak in cold water and it keeps my insulin pens cool until I can get to a fridge or when getting off the ship and the temp is more than 80. They come in 2 or 4 slots for the pens. These are for my extra pens. The one you are currently using will last 30 days without being in the fridge. I can't comment on vial usage as I have not had any experience with them. Sharp containers are available if needed, just ask. Hope this helps.

Ok, first of all, if your wife is using the insulin pens- they don't need to stay in a refrdigerator as long as cabin is room temperature. Depending on what pen is used, one pen could be fine for 28 days, another for less, depending on the one used. If using the IMHO archaic bottles tht is another story.

I just came back from a cruise- just made sure that my insulin pens would be active for the 2 weeks away from home. Also, I just put the used stuff in a plastic baggie and at end of cruise, dropped off at the medical office for disposal.

What many people don't understand is that all people should follow a "diabetic diet" basically weight watchers. On cruises, avoid as many starches as possible,

if a desert is just too tempting- share it- and just try to behave yourself at next meal. I was bad on the cruise: Had 4 strawberry daquaries in 7 days- my blood sugar was awful. But I have been behaving myself since returning. (Celebrity was a bad cruise for me, do to having alcoholic beverages included- otherwise I would have been better behaved! ) Normally, I do not drink anything accept water, occasional decaf diet soda, iced tea and crystal light stuff. I bring on board low sodium v8 juice in the little cans for my morning juice. If wife is working with a dietition, it really shouldn't be any different on board ship than at home: small portions of meat, fish, etc, leafy vegetables, salads with no or as little dressing as possible- and try to limit fruits and breads (my nemesis) as much as possible.

Edited by Jetswdo

Exercise along with eating a lo carb diet are beneficial in maintaining a good blood sugar. Sometimes those sugar-free desserts are worse than eating the real thing. You can make good choices eating at the buffet. Stick to the meat and vegetables. Eat a large salad before partaking of the buffet. Take a nice walk around the Promenade deck. I do this after breakfast every morning. Take the stairs whenever possible. DH and I never take the elevator. Keep moving.

My brother in law was on a special diet. On the first night in the dining room he mentioned it to the maître and each night the maître would bring him the next nights menu for him to choose his next night meal. When he sat down at the table, he would tell the waiter he had a special meal ordered and he would go and get it.

Maybe you can do this.

If you stick to the diet your physician gave you there should be no problem. On board there numerous food item to pick from. Stay away from sugar free desserts and diet drinks as they are not good for a diabetic. It causes the metabolism to get messed up. Regarding insulin, I use FRIO bean containers to travel with. You soak in cold water and it keeps my insulin pens cool until I can get to a fridge or when getting off the ship and the temp is more than 80. They come in 2 or 4 slots for the pens. These are for my extra pens. The one you are currently using will last 30 days without being in the fridge. I can't comment on vial usage as I have not had any experience with them. Sharp containers are available if needed, just ask. Hope this helps.

I have both the vial, long term, and pen, quick acting; neither needs refrigeration for short term usage, one month. I do keep my long term supplies in the fridge.

... For some reason, I was under the impression that it required refrigeration, so it looks like we're in good shape.

Best wishes to the OP for an enjoyable cruise!

Grey

I would imagine that when insulins were "in their infancy", they probably did require constant refrigeration. Over the years when they got more refined and became more stable, the "keep cold" requirement dropped off.

Edited by Treven

Sugar free is not necessarily diabetic friendly.

Hopefully your doctor has set you up with a nutritionist who can explain food choices and trade-offs; and help with menu planing.

I am type 2, so my diet does not need very tight control. I generally try to stay away from sweets of any kind. (Sugar free items often contain fruit juices which are sugar by another name. When they do not, some sort of artificial sweetener is often used. My preference is to avoid artificially constructed foodstuffs if possible.) I do on occasion take a regular dessert. When I anticipate doing so, I will usually try to adjust other courses.

Vegetable portions tend to be small to insignificant. A tip I learned from this board some time ago is one can ask for a side of green vegetable.

If you're checking your blood sugars with lancets, giving insulin with syringes or pen needles . . . just contact Princess ahead of your cruise and they'll have a sharps container ready for you in your bathroom. Protects their staff and you don't have to worry about bringing a container. :D