3. At sea

4. Antigua

5. Barbados

6. St. Lucia

7. St. Kitts

8. St. Thomas

9. At sea

10. Princess cays

However, due to the amount of days and work, I have never made any reservation.

Looking for a cruise for the month of November, I came across HAL 8 day eastern itinerary, which is not as nice as Princess’ but it’s still extremely exciting, it’s also an 8 day and about $700 cheaper . Since the price was so good, I went ahead and booked it taking advantage of the great sale.

Everything was perfectly stable. We were already making tour reservations, began doing our cruise search and getting excited about our HAL cruise when my sister just surprised us with her pregnancy, and her due-date, which coincides with our HAL sailing date. Since my mom will be taking care of the house, my dogs and also my sister’s dogs during her labor, I do not want to take a cruise and leave my mom with so many responsibilities plus my sister’s.

So, I might have to cancel HAL itinerary, which is absolutely unique (because it won’t be repeated by the cruiseline).

Since my Bday is the month of October, I have googled all October Caribbean cruises and came across Princess’ original itinerary. I have 2 options, cancel HAL and go with Princess or leave everything as it is (since my payment with HAL is not until Sept 15)… if any of you were in my shoes, what would you do?

That's true. Have you asked your mother what she thinks?

Since we've had very difficult times this year, my mother does not want me to cancel our cruise. She thinks I should wait until my payment is due and sis' delivery date gets closer to see what happens. I do want to stay around for the birth, no doubt.

Thank you all taking your time and answering.

Since we've had very difficult times this year, my mother does not want me to cancel our cruise. She thinks I should wait until my payment is due and sis' delivery date gets closer to see what happens. I do want to stay around for the birth, no doubt.

Thats a good idea. Nothing wrong with getting some advice regardless of where it was from. Nothing said here means you have to heed it. :rolleyes:

If it were me, I'd put family first. There'll always be another cruise and possibly unique itinerary.

On the other hand, you can always book and pay for the cruise. With "cancel for any reason" Insurance, you can get a credit for the cost of the cruise minus the cost of insurance. Babies often surprise by arriving early. No way to know ahead of time.

The bottom line is: do what's right for you.

I'd go. "Family first" is a catchy little motto, but essentially it's meaningless since you have no role here. Unless you're actually delivering the baby, I don't see why you need to be present. The baby will still be there when you get back. In fact, I'd give it about 10 years because babies and toddlers are a total bore. Wait til it becomes a real person.

Babies are very unpredictable. We had a cruise booked with 2 sets of friends when both were told that their daughters were expecting babies. One said it was fine because the due date was 3 weeks before cruise and the other said it was fine because due date 1 week after cruise. Yes - you guessed it. Baby due before cruise arrived 2 weeks late (grandma had 1 week of cuddles before leaving) and baby due 1 week after cruise arrived 3 weeks early (grandparents had quick cuddle and then goodbye). Your cruise is for 8 days, so baby could arrive before you leave, while your away, or when you come home. It would be up to you to decide if you really need to be there or if 8 days away would not be a problem.

I'd say go on vacation as planned. There will be plenty of people around to help just as your sister gives birth (and there's no guarantee that the baby won't be early or late anyway). You can be around to help her when you get back.

Is this one of those occasions where Mother knows best?

More to the point, what do you really want to do? If I were you (but, I am not) I would do that. Just sayin'. :cool:

Have you talked to your sister to see what role she wants/ expects you to play in relation to the birth of the baby? I would talk with her, it may be that she is perfectly fine with you going on vacation as planned - in particular since babies rarely arrive as planned. :)

I'd go. "Family first" is a catchy little motto, but essentially it's meaningless since you have no role here. Unless you're actually delivering the baby, I don't see why you need to be present. The baby will still be there when you get back. In fact, I'd give it about 10 years because babies and toddlers are a total bore. Wait til it becomes a real person.

I think you'll hear about that one. LOL. If mom and your sister say go, then you should consider it, I think. They don't want to feel guilty for ruining what could be a great vacation for you. Get someone else to watch your dogs, and that will be one thing you don't need to worry about.

Only you know what is best for you and your family, but unless this is a high risk pregnancy or there are other factors you haven't mentioned, then I would do as others have suggested and hire someone to take care of your pets. The baby might arrive before or after your cruise and you've hinted that you really need this trip. I'm all for family, but there are times when you have to put yourself first and do what's best for you.

Here’s my story, and what would you do?

I have always wanted to book Princess’ 10 day Caribbean itinerary visiting

1. Ft. Lauderdale

2. 2. At Sea

3. At sea

4. Antigua

5. Barbados

6. St. Lucia

7. St. Kitts

8. St. Thomas

9. At sea

10. Princess cays

However, due to the amount of days and work, I have never made any reservation.

Looking for a cruise for the month of November, I came across HAL 8 day eastern itinerary, which is not as nice as Princess’ but it’s still extremely exciting, it’s also an 8 day and about $700 cheaper . Since the price was so good, I went ahead and booked it taking advantage of the great sale.

Everything was perfectly stable. We were already making tour reservations, began doing our cruise search and getting excited about our HAL cruise when my sister just surprised us with her pregnancy, and her due-date, which coincides with our HAL sailing date. Since my mom will be taking care of the house, my dogs and also my sister’s dogs during her labor, I do not want to take a cruise and leave my mom with so many responsibilities plus my sister’s.

So, I might have to cancel HAL itinerary, which is absolutely unique (because it won’t be repeated by the cruiseline).

Since my Bday is the month of October, I have googled all October Caribbean cruises and came across Princess’ original itinerary. I have 2 options, cancel HAL and go with Princess or leave everything as it is (since my payment with HAL is not until Sept 15)… if any of you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I would go ahead with your plans to cruise. Things have a way of working out.

I understand being torn. If I were in your shoes, I would ask myself how I would feel being so far away during the birth of my niece or nephew. Would I be distracted wondering how things are at home? Will I later regret not being there for the birth? I would want to ensure I would be at ease with whichever choice I made.

Yours is a tough decision, but I am sure if you give yourself the time you will realize what you really want to do; what feels right for you.

By the way, an early congratulations and Happy Birthday. :)

-Janine

Can you go in October? ALthough a bit different itinerary the Regal Princess does a 10 day repositioning from NYC to Aruba, Antigua, St. Thomas and then back to FLL. I know it's not all your ports but some of them, it's still 10 days and it's before baby (unless baby is early). Departs OCt 24th.