Disappointed With Complimentary Drink List

MAGSMFC

We will be going on a cruise on the Journey later this year and I have been looking at the complimenary drink list and note Baileys is not included and I would have to pay nearly $22 per day to have a drink that I always drink. This is very annoying as Baileys is not expensive and feel aggrieved about it. The other drinks that I also drink is sherry and port and these are also drinks that you have to pay extra for.

Can anyone advise me if it will be cheaper to buy these drinks by the glass.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

You could take a bottle of each on board to have in your cabin - you can take any alcohol you like on board. If you take wine and want to drink it n the dining room, there is a corkage charge, but no charge to drink in your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The information on the website says

"GENERAL INFORMATION | AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES

If you wish to consume your spirit, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle is subject to a corkage fee of $10."

This is the link:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/search/google/Corkage

Can anyone advise me if it will be cheaper to buy these drinks by the glass.

Baileys $5.95 a glass per this recent thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52953918&postcount=3

There are probably photos of bar menus around if you search, as well.

It is impossible for Azamara to please everyone with their complimentary choices. Between what was available on the included list, what we brought on board for personal consumption in our cabin, and what we chose to purchase a la carte, we were very happy with the drinks on our Azamara cruise....

If you are going to drink 4 Baileys daily, then the premium package would make sense for you. Otherwise just buy them ala carte. I do agree that the complimentary list is a bit bare bones, but I don't think of Azamara as being in the same category as Regent or Crystal, which include a better range of spirits for (in my experience) quite a lot more cruise fare. You pay for it one way or the other.

I agree with the OP that it's disappointing not to have Baileys included and always make that comment on my feedback questionnaire. My solution was to take a bottle of Baileys onboard - OK it means a trip to the cabin to pour my after-dinner drink but the ships are hardly very big so it wasn't an issue..

I agree with the OP that it's disappointing not to have Baileys included and always make that comment on my feedback questionnaire. My solution was to take a bottle of Baileys onboard - OK it means a trip to the cabin to pour my after-dinner drink but the ships are hardly very big so it wasn't an issue..

I found it odd that you have to get the premium package to get Bailey's. We thought about buying one of the "More to Love" packages for the upgraded drinks, but decided it wasn't worth it after they changed both the drink packages and "More to Love" to "Experience More." Lost opportunity for Azamara to get more of our money :)

I agree with the previous poster that there should be an upgraded wine by the glass option in the beverage packages -- there's absolutely no incentive for wine drinkers to purchase a package. I guess they just assume we will purchase bottles but my husband and I often choose different wines so we like it by the glass. Also, I did find it disappointing that there is not a brandy or cognac option in the included drinks. For the Bailey's drinkers -- there were two included "after dinner" type drinks we liked on Azamara -- a White Russian (this seems somewhat like Bailey's as it's cream/milk based) and I also discovered a "Vodka Stinger" (vodka and crème de menthe) that was nice after dinner. What we did onboard is we looked at the list of included cocktails and googled the ones we didn't know to see what might appeal. It worked great and there were more choices than we expected. We were glad we didn't get a package because we ended up purchasing only one bottle of wine and maybe 5 drinks during the entire cruise and we are pretty big drinkers on vacation. Our entire bar bill for 11 days was under $100.

There is wine by the glass in the ultimate package. includes Domain Chandom Sparkling wine also.

List below from web site.

Wine

Martini & Rossi Asti, Domaine Chandon Brut Classic, Seaglass Sauvignon Blanc, DeLoach Chardonnay, Gabbiano Pinot Grigio, Beringer White Zinfandel, Trumpeter Cabernet Sauvignon, DeLoach Merlot, Callia Alta Malbec

We commented about the lack of a sparkling wine in the complimentary offerings on our comment card many times as obviously others did and finally and happily they added it last year.

Perhaps if enough people share your view Baileys will also be included at some point.

Bailey's is part of the Ultimate Package, not Premium. And yes, it's $5.95/drink on its own. We didn't want to think about what we were ordering so we did the Ultimate.

Thanks for the correction--I knew it was in the highest package but didn't pay attention to what I was writing, apparently :)

When we last cruised on Princess, which also allows pax to bring their own alcohol on board, we carried on a case of wine and a bottle of my husband's special tequila. Since wine was not included in the fare on Princess, about half those bottles were basic stuff that we drank on our balcony along with the apps we'd order from room service each evening. The other 6 bottles were special and a bit pricey, and we entrusted them to the restaurant captain on the first day. We happily paid the $10 corkage fee to enjoy those wines which would have been far out of our budget with the cruise line mark-up. On the last evening, our waiter told us that we'd been the envy of the dining room all week! (ps: there were 6 of us. We didn't drink it all ourselves. Not saying that we couldn't have, just that we didn't ;p)

With respect to the tequila, when DH wanted a margarita, he would go to the bar and ask for a glass of margarita mix on the rocks and mix his own. Yes, that meant he had to go back to the room but it was worth it to him. He contemplated carrying it in a take-away cup but I put my foot down.

There is wine by the glass in the ultimate package. includes Domain Chandom Sparkling wine also.

List below from web site.

Wine

Martini & Rossi Asti, Domaine Chandon Brut Classic, Seaglass Sauvignon Blanc, DeLoach Chardonnay, Gabbiano Pinot Grigio, Beringer White Zinfandel, Trumpeter Cabernet Sauvignon, DeLoach Merlot, Callia Alta Malbec

None of those wines is even remotely "premium," though. They are all under $15/bottle at our local store (the Berlinger White Zin is under $8 most of the time), so even allowing for a 2-3 markup for "restaurant" pricing, they aren't what I would expect for having to pay more. IMO, they aren't any better selections than what's served as the wine of the day (most days, anyway).

When we last cruised on Princess, which also allows pax to bring their own alcohol on board, we carried on a case of wine and a bottle of my husband's special tequila. Since wine was not included in the fare on Princess, about half those bottles were basic stuff that we drank on our balcony along with the apps we'd order from room service each evening. The other 6 bottles were special and a bit pricey, and we entrusted them to the restaurant captain on the first day. We happily paid the $10 corkage fee to enjoy those wines which would have been far out of our budget with the cruise line mark-up. On the last evening, our waiter told us that we'd been the envy of the dining room all week! (ps: there were 6 of us. We didn't drink it all ourselves. Not saying that we couldn't have, just that we didn't ;p)

With respect to the tequila, when DH wanted a margarita, he would go to the bar and ask for a glass of margarita mix on the rocks and mix his own. Yes, that meant he had to go back to the room but it was worth it to him. He contemplated carrying it in a take-away cup but I put my foot down.

Princess do not allow one to bring anything but wine onboard any more, and one pays $15/bottle corkage at boarding for anything over 2 bottles (and you'll pay the corkage if you drink those 2 bottles in a public venue). I agree that sometimes it makes more sense to BYOW, although on many bottles the markup is fair enough to offset the hassle of lugging extra bottles onboard. Back in the day, I remember a sailing where a group of 17 (not all of legal drinking age, as I recall) brought on 60 CASES of wine for a 9-night cruise. I have to think that's the kind of behavior that made them throttle back on allowing unlimited wine for free.

We may purchase a wine package on our upcoming trip but, since we are sailing from Italy, we are more likely to amass a collection of bottles and pay the corkage onboard. That's my plan, anyway, but we'll see how many bottles DH is willing to cart onboard, lol. My limit is 3.

Rather than start a new thread does the Quest have a Martini Cocktail menu, i.e. cocktail menus in the bars that offer cocktails over and above the complimentary cocktails I have seen listed on the website? For example, on holiday I love an after dinner Expresso Martini (which I think would be covered any way) but then I like to search for my new second favorite Martini!

Also I didn't see a Mojito on the complimentary cocktail list but see no reason why it shouldn't be as it is one of the more common/popular cocktails based on white rum.

Last one - Aperol - very popular in Italy but I don't see this on any of the drinks packages. How can you cruise around Italy and not have an Aperol Spritz! (That's my gift to you if you have never sampled one. You must try one when in an Italian port).

Cheers (or 'bottoms up' as we say in the UK) !!

Yes there is a cocktail menu which lists both included and non included cocktails though of course they will mix anything you want.

An Expresso Martini sounds rather nice, think I will try it on my upcoming cruise. But I disagree with you re Aperol Spritz ( which isn't included) I think it tastes like rather nasty cough medicine though my friend is rather keen on it.

Different strokes for different folks 😄 Cheers!

Slightly off topic, but yesterday we received a packet from our TA with our cruise information, like the ticket contract, itinerary, etc, printed out like they're from Azamara (the many-paged folios with our names emblazoned on the covers). I was quite surprised to discover while flipping through it that it listed the old drink packages. Made me realize what a better deal they seemed to be compared to the current offerings.

Perhaps someone at Azamara should look at the complementary drinks on the more mainstream lines like Norwegian and Thomson, and that may perhaps prompt Azamara to up their game. No Brandy, horrible Scotch, only white rum, rubbish beer, sparkling wine instead of even Prosecco, no Baileys etc. etc. Even the suite "freebies" are not as good as previously.

It really isn't good enough for a cruise line that aspires to be deluxe.

If that isn't enough have a good look at Seabourn, because Azamara prices are creeping towards them.

Remember that the customer always always has a choice, and there is lots of competition out there.

The costs would be nothing in the scale of things to keep us all on board!!

Perhaps someone at Azamara should look at the complementary drinks on the more mainstream lines like Norwegian and Thomson, and that may perhaps prompt Azamara to up their game. No Brandy, horrible Scotch, only white rum, rubbish beer, sparkling wine instead of even Prosecco, no Baileys etc. etc. Even the suite "freebies" are not as good as previously.

It really isn't good enough for a cruise line that aspires to be deluxe.

If that isn't enough have a good look at Seabourn, because Azamara prices are creeping towards them.

Remember that the customer always always has a choice, and there is lots of competition out there.

The costs would be nothing in the scale of things to keep us all on board!!

Well said totally agree, we've booked Crystal and Viking (including gratuities & silver spirits package) at a lower price point than an equivalent cruise on Azamara.

As you say there's a lot of competition out there!

Well said totally agree, we've booked Crystal and Viking (including gratuities & silver spirits package) at a lower price point than an equivalent cruise on Azamara.

As you say there's a lot of competition out there!

We don't usually buy a package when sailing with Azamara, just buy drinks as we go along if we want things not offered on the complimentary list.

Must say though when we sailed with Viking earlier this year found the silver spirits package exceptional value for money

We've seen Azamara cruise prices increase since the refit and yet people want prices to increase further to fund a better drinks package - it's always the consumer who pays. If you want what isn't complimentary, perhaps buy an upgrade package, which is incrementally priced, or pay as you go. This is what we do. Each cruise there are plenty of people happy to go with the complimentary drinks, despite the limited choices.