Please skip this Caribbean port

eyeeye

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

I always thought the main benefit of a cruise over a land-based resort was the ability to see many different places. I would think if someone just wanted to lounge by a pool or engage in the various entertainment activities perhaps a land-based resort might work better.

I avoided visiting Ochos Rios for seven Caribbean cruises in a row. I'd heard so many negative things. In January, our cruise on Freedom of the Seas stopped there. We LOVED it. Yes, I can see why some people dislike it. However, we really loved climbing the falls and Margarittaville's was a hoot. We went down the pool slide several times!

I would not advise cruise lines to skip any port. As another poster said, we all have different tastes and sometimes you may discover you enjoy a port far more (or less) than you expected. We found we were not that impressed by Aruba, but I know it's a favorite to many.

Seeing a wide variety of ports is one of the big benefits of cruising.

Some people go cruising because of the activities and amenities onboard that they don't find in a land based resort. Personally, I try to skip at least one port on every cruise so I can stay on the ship and enjoy the ship without crowds (I always travel during school breaks, so typically the ship is jam packed).

My DH and I really love Tortola:) We visited there when we sailed on Zuiderdam, did a tour of the island and coast and loved it, a beautiful island and would really like to go back there.

I would not advise cruise lines to skip any port. As another poster said, we all have different tastes and sometimes you may discover you enjoy a port far more (or less) than you expected. We found we were not that impressed by Aruba, but I know it's a favorite to many.

Seeing a wide variety of ports is one of the big benefits of cruising.

Glad to see someone other than myself was not impressed with Aruba. My DW loved it (we were cruising for her 50th birthday so it was a good thing ;) ) but I was not impressed at all. It seemed to me once you got away from the resort area, it was nothing but Aloe and cactus.

Tim

I wish the cruise lines would send a couple of ships to smaller islands instead of always going to the big ports that everyone has done a million times.
There are only so many islands equipped to handle the bigger ships and the number of people they disgorge. It may cost you a little more, but look at some of the lines with smaller ships if you want smaller, different islands.

Glad to see someone other than myself was not impressed with Aruba. My DW loved it (we were cruising for her 50th birthday so it was a good thing ;) ) but I was not impressed at all. It seemed to me once you got away from the resort area, it was nothing but Aloe and cactus.

Tim

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who wasn't that impressed with Aruba. It's not that I dislike it, I would go back, I just thought there would be more to see and do than there was. You're right - once you leave the tourist area it's all desert and barren.

I agree. Just returned from HAL Westerdam. We stopped in Aruba. Not much downtown. We hired a cab for $45 for an hour drive around the island. Not much to do but we managed. Wish we had more time to settle in at the island. ie. go to the Marriott for the Beach etc. Have been to a lot worse ports.

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

LOL....we are taking our next cruise so we CAN stop at Tortola! Guess we each have our likes and dislikes.

Just remember folks when you leave home you have to leave home home.:eek:

A co-worker of mine just returned from her first cruise.

In St. Kitts they stepped off the ship, looked around, and determined there is nothing to see or do there.:rolleyes:

I just never understand the "nothing to do" response.

All of the islands have a history most of us never learn anyting about. What they don't realize is their history is a part of our own, especially as far as Christopher Columbus and his voyages. Don't forget the impact of the slave trade, sugar cane and other plantation crops.

All most people do is get off the ship and either hire a cab or take a ships sponsored tour to a beach. It sounds crazy to me - I can do that without having to drive to Florida and pay for a ship.

If we have something planned - we tend to enjoy the port much more than just showing up and expecting to be entertained.

Edited by temple1

Tortola is my FAVORITE Caribbean port. I think The Baths are one of the most amazing things I have seen anywhere....and I have traveled all over the world. I think lack of research is one reason why all types of ports get overlooked. I find it difficult to think anyone would not be impressed by the Baths. It is GORGEOUS!!! Maybe it's not ON Tortola, but it is THEE thing to do there. I think it's crazy to have the idea that all you have to do is show up somewhere and activities are just going to greet you at the pier. DO YOUR research and find out what type of things interest you anywhere you go. There is so much information out there... and it's NOT the shore excursion brochure. OR you shouldn't limit it to just... (it's not the Cruise Critic either):D

I love Tortola!!! We love to go over to The Baths on Virgin Gorda, or to Cane Garden Bay beach there on Tortola. The Indians for snorkeling is also great. So many great options....this is one of our favorite ports.:)

The Baths on Virgin Gorda are not to be missed!

Depending on how long you have in port this is a trip that you can do easily on your own.

Check out this link - http://www.speedysbvi.com/specials.php

Edited by SmokinActuary

Grand Turk was one of my faves, been twice, very easy to step off the ship and proceed to the beach. Free beach, free chairs, zero cost for cab. For shopping, also easy -- all walkable from the ship. Very knowledgeable sales staff at one of the watch/jewelry places. They're building some water ride near the Margaritaville, too -- also walkable.

I'm actually planning not to get off at Samana (Dominican Republic) as I've heard the beaches are 30-45min cab ride through some rough roads, and no guarantee you'll catch one easily on the way back.

I don't think you can fairly judge a place enough to completely dislike it simply in a 8 hour stop; you can know enough that you really want to go back and explore it some more, but to say that you "hate it"? I don't think so.

I will not go back to Ocho Rios, but that's because I spent a week there and that was enough time for me to experience it. We're not really excursion people, so we usually just walk around the port area and get a drink and do some shopping. We know that's not what the country/island is really like. If we want to get to know a place, we go there for an extended stay. I love St. Martin, as I've stayed there a few times for a week. But when we stopped there on Liberty, we just walked around the Boardwalk. Totally different experience.