5 weeks till sail date checklist ???

GordonFan24ever

I'm 5 weeks or from my first cruise. We are doing the 15 day Hawaiian cruise on the Miracle with Carnival.

I'm a planning /checklist nut to say the least and I am kinda freaking out a little here. I don't have a checklist and don't know what I'd put on it cause I've never been in a cruise.

Is there a checklist anywhere that says what you need? Or even u should do different things like printing the paper work (what paper work do I need? ). I need a timeline to get things done and I don't have one. Normally by this point on a trip I've got a checklist of my checklist.

Any help would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The only "checklist" I think you would need to worry about is to be sure you have the proper ID for any flights necessary and port check in for your itinerary. Your cruise line's website will be able to confirm this. (Passport or picture ID with birth certificate, etc.) They (or your travel agent if you used one) can also confirm what documents need to be printed out for check in as well.

Don't over think this. While it may be unique in that it is a cruise, it really is just like any other vacation. Whatever you prepare and do for a typical vacation is what you would do with a cruise as well. Make sure to include any medications, etc., that you would need during that time.

Except for gambling, on board the ships are cashless, so a credit card will need to be used on file for all on board expenses, or if you prefer you can set up a cash deposit on board. (Your room key card acts as your credit card and ID as well). Again, your TA or the cruise line can provide assistance with information on that.

The only other advice I would give is pack less than you think and take more cash. (You will have port of call expenses, etc.) Just relax and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This is some good advice. Keep it simple. Once you are packed. go back and take out 1/2. Seriously!! documents, Money and although will need to dress for a couple dinners, be comfortable a silk dress that weights nothing and is always fab for the gals and my husband has a seer sucker Jacket that looks great with Linen pants and Lacost (shoe sneakers). Think of less items with more functionality. fill in the blanks with the ample and fairly priced stores on ship and off. Not to dredge on , but you don't want to go on vacation to baby sit your stuff. And leave the crown jewels at home.

Less is more! be mobile and open to experiences not toys and wardrobe changes. Have a wonderful voyage. (and regardless of the added tips don't be afraid to throw some money(cash) at your steward. a little goes along way and they deserved it !!!

The only "checklist" I think you would need to worry about is to be sure you have the proper ID for any flights necessary and port check in for your itinerary. Your cruise line's website will be able to confirm this. (Passport or picture ID with birth certificate, etc.)

They (or your travel agent if you used one) can also confirm what documents need to be printed out for check in as well.

Don't over think this. While it may be unique in that it is a cruise, it really is just like any other vacation. Whatever you prepare and do for a typical vacation is what you would do with a cruise as well. Make sure to include any medications, etc., that you would need during that time.

Except for gambling, on board the ships are cashless, so a credit card will need to be used on file for all on board expenses, or if you prefer you can set up a cash deposit on board. (Your room key card acts as your credit card and ID as well). Again, your TA or the cruise line can provide assistance with information on that.

The only other advice I would give is pack less than you think and take more cash. (You will have port of call expenses, etc.) Just relax and enjoy your cruise!

This is merely a VACATION...so do whatever you'd do when you go on ANY vacation! You don't need to print out anything but your online checkin...and if you forget that, no matter! You don't really need it, but most like to have it.

All the same home preps...stopping mail and paper, resetting thermostats, shutting off water to the washing machine, or shutting it off to the house altogether...making sure bills are paid and perishable foods aren't sitting around molding!

All the same stuff to pack for any vacation to the climate you'll visit.

This isn't anything different than any other trip you take!

Edited by cb at sea

My wife and I are about to take our third cruise a month from now (also to Hawaii, but on Princess) so we're still sort of newbies. I do have my own personal checklist that I am still refining somewhat but it's really about what you need personally. I agree that it's good to stick to the essentials, but if you're a self-described planning and checklist nut you won't enjoy preparing for the trip without one. In fact, having a great checklist and checking things off as you pack can be deeply satisfying. I get it. Some people are just built to need checklists and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with the opinions expressed above. :)

Our first cruise was to Alaska and we are really looking forward to the fact that we will be taking a whole lot fewer layers (and clothes in general) to Hawaii! I personally will probably take clothes for about half the days and wash clothes once in the middle of the trip. It'll be nice that it'll be mostly t-shirts & shorts (and clothes for the three formal nights).

Many of the checklists you'll find by searching this site and Google include way too much stuff that you won't use. This one doesn't seem too egregious: http://www.travelsmith.com/travelcenter/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PackingChecklist_2016v2.pdf

Also, there are some things you wouldn't necessarily think of (that are probably listed a million times on this site) but that I have found helpful: bring a highlighter to highlight the things in the daily newsletter you might want to do; bring a few binder clips to weight down the shower curtain so it doesn't cling to you; bring some magnets with clips (like you'd have on your fridge) because [at least on Princess] the walls are magnetic so you can put things up on the wall that you don't want to lose or you want to be able to see whenever you're in the cabin (maps, schedules, excursion tickets, etc.). That kind of stuff.

Mostly, though, enjoy your sea days and enjoy Hawaii!

I do not make a check list but the one thing I make sure I do is set up to pay any bills through my online banking. You can set the date in advance for the bills you would normally pay during the time you are going to be away. I assume you will be away from home for probably 16 or 17+ days so you might look into this to avoid penalty fees for late payment.

Other than that, some good advice has been given. Don't overthink it! You'll do great. :)

Okay, since there are no private messages on this board, I will go ahead and post a more generic version of my last checklist here. :)

Required

____ cruise documents

____ passports

____ wallet

____ driver's license

____ car insurance cards in case you're renting a car

____ medical insurance cards

____ credit cards - be sure to call credit card companies before traveling to alert them you are traveling outside your normal area [i seldom do this and haven't had a problem lately]

____ cash

____ Make 3 copies of cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home

____ contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards or traveler's checks

____ emergency phone numbers

____ watch

____ smallish carry-on bag (messenger bag)

Clothes: insert your normal clothes checklist here

Laundry supplies (this will help you pack fewer clothes)

____ plastic bag or laundry bag for dirty clothes

____ fabric softener

____ detergent pods in tupperware

____ tide stick

Sundries

____ prescription drugs and any other essential medications in carry on bag

____ small first aid kit (band aids, Q-tips, vaseline, antibiotic

ointment, bandages, dramamine, anti-diarrheal & anti-gas medication, pepto tablets, cortisone cream, gold bond cream, naproxen; your ingredients may vary)

____ sunblock [very important]

____ lip balm w/SPF [also very important]

____ germicidal hand cleaner [e.g. Purel, nice to have on shore]

____ bathroom wipes

____ clorox wipes

____ eye drops

Miscellaneous

____ clothes pins [or binder clips]

____ magnet clips/strong magnets

____ a few ziploc bags (varying sizes)

____ a length of duct tape wound around a Sharpie [surprisingly handy]

____ empty folding tote bag - for taking ashore

____ canvas tote(s) - great on the ship

____ hats/caps/visors

____ binoculars

____ spare glasses

____ sunglasses

____ highlighter

____ nice pen if you don't want to use the supplied pens

____ guidebooks and other port of call information [buy/check out in advance - nice on sea days!]

____ maps (stuff printed out at home about ports, or saved in advance on tablet or phone)

____ games magazines [if you like that sort of thing]

____ home addresses of friends/relatives back home for sending postcards

____ small flashlight

____ night light or battery-powered tea light (esp. in inside cabin)

____ Key multi-tool (checked luggage)

____ small umbrella

Photography & Electronic Equipment

____ Digital/video camera

____ Extra memory card

____ Extra batteries

____ Camera battery charger

____ Phone + headset

____ Phone charger

____ Other charger(s)

____ portable USB battery packs w/cords

Stuff I don't bring but some do

____ ear plugs (we don't use them)

____ sea bands [for us only as a joke/tradition, since luckily we don't get seasick]

____ bug spray wipes (we haven't ended up using them)

____ hand wipes [we didn't really end up using these because there's Purel all over the ship]

____ sewing kit and scissors [i have never brought this]

____ travel-size Woolite [i have never brought this, though it could be handy for formalwear]

!

When I pack for my normal vacation it is jeans, t-shirts, sun block, and hearing protection. Our only vacations are to the race tracks (NASCAR fans).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree with the above poster about making copies of passport, etc but would NOT suggest leaving one in checked luggage. We leave one at home, and one in the room safe...we take a picture of our passport and DL and keep it on our phone since it's locked. Too many hands touching checked bags...would make me nervous.

Thanks for sharing the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by widallas

Had to smile at the posted checklist. Having spent well over 1,000 days (and nights) on cruise ships..there is no way that DW takes laundry stuff on a cruise :). She would tell you that its a vacation (we are retired so every day is a vacation) and no way is she doing laundry :). On short cruises (perhaps up to about 14 days) we usually manage OK without doing laundry....although we might send out one bag (to the ship's laundry). On long cruises (we have done 60 day plus) we totally rely on the cruise ship's commercial laundry (in the spirit of full disclosure we do now get free laundry on several cruise lines). We do certainly take more then our share of medical supplies (be prepared), sunscreen, etc.

Hank

That posted list above had laundry detergent pods and fabric softener on it. If your ship has a self-serve laundry, you should only use the ship's supplied detergent, which is as non-polluting as is currently possible. Some laundry systems on ships even go so far as to have auto-dispensed detergents with no way to add your own. Please be kind to the ocean.

I too am a planner. I use those plastic sheet protectors. I have one for each day, so I only have to have one out at a time. I put all my tickets, etc for that day in each sheet protector. After I am done for the day, I toss whatever was in there and now I have a safe place for anything I want to bring home, such as the daily patters, etc.

I would second a magnetic clip for cabin organization.

Also, if you are planning on doing any snorkeling excursions in Hawaii, I would suggest ordering a coral safe sunscreen prior to your trip. I am not an environmental nut or anything, but do like to protect the coral and sea-life.

Enjoy your cruise and have a blast. If you get anxious waiting for your trip, just start planning your next to get your mind off it.

Here's my checklist, although it's not as extensive as the one above, it's bit different.

*Scan passport, cruise documents, all confirmations (excursions, pre/post cruise hotel, airline, ID, credit cards (both sides) and e-mail copies to myself. That way, should anything get lost or stolen, I can get a copy, but I'm not carrying it around in paper form.

*Confirm with Hotel 3 days before leaving.

*Notify bank and credit card companies about your travel plans so they won't put a false fraud stop on your cash or credit cards. Ask about your daily ATM limit and have them increase it if you think you might need more cash at one of the ports.

*Check on your phone plan if you plan to use it in ports. Switch to an international plan to cut the costs. You can change it back after you return.

*2 Prior - Confirm any reservations for you pet. Confirm their Vet records.

* Put an sheet with your itinerary and phone number on top of your clothes in your suitcase in case it gets separated from you.

* Carry the standard over the counter meds with you. While they sell them onboard and in ports, nothing is worse than a headache, sick stomach or cold than being at sea, at night when the shops are closed and you have NO MEDICINE cabinet in your cabin. I put travel size of Advil, Tums, Dayquil capsules, Benadryl, neosporin, band-aids in a zip lock in my carry-on, along with any prescription drugs.

* I include a few clothes pins for clipping a wet swimsuit up to dry and a small post it notepad and pin to leave a note in the cabin if I need to let the steward know I need something or to let someone know where I am.

*I make a list for every day and put an outfit beside it, then I check them off as I pack. I try to carry no more than 3 pairs of shoes. 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of flip flops at the most.

*I carry a sweater or a wrap that can be worn to dinner or at shows where the a/c is chilly or late at night on deck where it could be windy or chilly. I wear it on the flight to cut down on the luggage.

*I carry my own shampoo and conditioner in a travel size container.