Would you walk to The Boatyard?

cdl324

My fiance & I are coming to Barbados in early November on our first cruise for our honeymoon. I am just wondering if it is safe to walk from the cruise port to the Boatyard? We don't mind walking at all but want to know it's easy and safe! Thanks!

During our last visit to Barbados, my wife and I walked from the cruise port to the Boatyard (actually to the beach area at Lobster Alive which is just past the Boatyard) without any problem or concern for our safety.

Do you recall how long it took to walk it?

During our last visit to Barbados, my wife and I walked from the cruise port to the Boatyard (actually to the beach area at Lobster Alive which is just past the Boatyard) without any problem or concern for our safety.

Yes I would love to know how long it took you as well! :)

Walk out of the port, turn right and keep the sea on your right - the walk should take about 20 or so minutes. :cool:

Looked safe enough to me as the road skirted the edge of downtown (? :confused:) and we saw a few cruisers from our ship jogging that way.

We were happy to pay $5 each for the cab ride and let the Boatyard take care of the cab back to the ship. ;)

Walk out of the port, turn right and keep the sea on your right - the walk should take about 20 or so minutes. :cool:

Looked safe enough to me as the road skirted the edge of downtown (? :confused:) and we saw a few cruisers from our ship jogging that way.

We were happy to pay $5 each for the cab ride and let the Boatyard take care of the cab back to the ship. ;)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
My fiance & I are coming to Barbados in early November on our first cruise for our honeymoon. I am just wondering if it is safe to walk from the cruise port to the Boatyard? We don't mind walking at all but want to know it's easy and safe! Thanks!

I have twice walked to the Boatyard and on my last visit I took a cab. The walk is easy and safe, always keep the water on your right. Leaving from the cruise port, there will be very few pedestrians except for fellow cruisers. Once you get to the downtown area then you will see locals. 20-25 minute walk. The cab ride is $5 (US), the cab (actually a van) would not leave until all the seats were taken. I once got to the Boatyard after noon on a Sunday and while they were charging an admittance fee, they could not guarantee loungers. If you are going earlier in the am, that should not be an issue.

• 1 month later...

The walk is not bad. And yea, you can take a cab but you see and feel more when you walk. It's not the money it's getting out and seeing the sites.

I did a run when I was there and saw quite a few people out walking. Completely safe from what I saw.

If you aren't in a hurry walk it. You see so much more.

• 1 month later...

We walked it last time I was there. Made a pit stop at a local restaurant for lunch and a Banks beer. I will say that a taxi driver (located outside of port) followed us for about a quarter mile trying to talk us into catching a ride for $5 USD. We opted not to since DH had been there before and knew we were going to stop for lunch. We had a 4 year old with us. I never felt unsafe.

Have walked it a number of times. Easy, safe, a good way to get some exercise and see a little something of Barbados. As others have mentioned.....just exit the port and keep right with the water on your right. You will come right up to the boatyard after 20 minutes.

We walked it last time I was there. Made a pit stop at a local restaurant for lunch and a Banks beer. I will say that a taxi driver (located outside of port) followed us for about a quarter mile trying to talk us into catching a ride for $5 USD. We opted not to since DH had been there before and knew we were going to stop for lunch. We had a 4 year old with us. I never felt unsafe.

I have an active 4 year old and I am debating bringing the umbrella stroller. He almost never gets in and I'm left pushing an empty cart. But as we mothers know the minute we don't have it they will become sleepy and "tired". Did you have your 4 year old in a stroller?