Please skip this Caribbean port

eyeeye

We don't care for any port in Jamaica so we stayed on the ship last time. I also wish Royal would stop going to Nassau. That's a waste of time. Funny the Captain told the op to avoid Grand Turk. We rented a dune buggy there and had a great time. That ranked as one of our favorite excursions in the Caribbean.

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

Why would you title your post Please skip this port? Your a half wit!!

Post #500 YAAAY!

I've enjoyed all of the Caribbean ports I've been to. BUT, as costa rican myself, I feel ashamed of Puerto Limon. The port is industrial, the town is run-down, no duty free shops, no cultural nor historic attractions, and too far from the beautiful beaches of Costa Rica's Caribbean coast.

The government should build a dock at Puerto Viejo, with shops and restaurants, just like the one in Falmouth.

I thought that you had some reason for "skipping" a Caribbean port. You don't like Tortola?

So what? Others do. I do. I like BVI ports better than some others.

I wanted to add my opinion, because I can....but I think the cruise line doesn't visit Tortola often enough. There are other ports that *I* dislike, but I don't try to persuade the cruise line or others from visiting.

DISCLAIMER: Anytime I say "you", it is a generic "you" not directed at the poster I am quoting.

There is a lot of truth in this statement. Some people are not up for the unfamiliar. That said, one of the main reasons we like cruising is that it is great vacation for our family to be together. However, we can all partake in what we wish. My parents never disembark at any of the private island stops- Coco Cay or Labadee. They aren't fans of sunbathing on the beach. They enjoy the quiet ship.

I don't care for Ocho Rios or Falmouth, but some people enjoy them. The "port" is seldom in the most scenic part of any island. If you want to enjoy the local flavor, you sometimes have to go a bit beyond the downtown.

Also, please remember that these islands are someone else's home. Someone has a business there. Someone goes to school there. Someone works there. They don't just push a button to pop these islands up for the ships to come in on port days and then retract them at the end of the day.

I live in a tourist destination town, and people really seem to think that the town just sort of mystically appears when they step off the ship and the entire population is there solely to entertain them. I don't know what they think happens when they leave, but life goes on.

Don't be insulting and act so entitled- as though these folks are here solely your amusement.

Excellent comments.

Also living in a tourist destination - your statement can apply to both sides.

Residents complain about tourists, but they are what drives the economy.

It doesn't cost anything to be nice applies to all.

But we are beach people so all about great beaches - in Tortola - Cane Garden Bay is amazing. And we LOVE the beach in Grand Turk. We are booking a 5 night on Princess next Nov ONLY because it goes to Grand Turk

I am with you on that. We love Cane Garden Bay and GT has the MOST amazing beaches.

We've discovered that at any port, it's what you make it. We used to pick and choose which port we would do an excursion or get off the ship, due to criticism we would see. Now, we get off the ship at EVERY port. We have discovered that, while Nassau has it's problems, Blue Lagoon is amazing and they have some pretty interesting history. Jamaica has some of the most pushy, obnoxious vendors ever, but Dunn's River Falls is spectacular. Grand Cayman is one of our favorites because there are so many things to do, from the turtle farms to the submarines to the sting rays and Hell. We love everything about Key West, from the frozen key lime pies and conch fritters to Mel Fisher's museum to the bars. We discovered snorkeling on Roatan from a catamaran was the best. We discovered that every waterfall is not the same. We would have missed SO many amazing things by staying on the ship. We have another "newbie" going with us on our next cruise, traveling with my Grandson. We are SO excited to visit ports we have already seen and get to do it with someone seeing them for the first time. You just have to get out there and find out what's on the islands and give it a try.