SD1 sailing today

TrapperZimmy

Zimmy and I are getting ready to taxi over to the cruise terminal for a 4+7 on SD1, Barbados to Barbados to St. Martin. We arrived at the Barbados Hilton at 11:00 pm on New Year's Eve, just in time to enjoy the beach party from the comfort of our balcony. Fabulous fireworks show at midnight.

We have been total sloths since then, spending the days confined to lounge chairs at the pool, moving only for the hourly three-minute rain shower. A couple of nice dinners at The Tides and Lobster Alive, the latter of which we had not been to before.

Well, time to head down to get a taxi and start the real vacation. This was just the short subject before the main feature. One of us will follow up with reports from time to time, subject, of course, to the quality of communications on board.

Yes, Max's is definitely on the itinerary. We learned that last night's lobster was swimming at Bequia that morning. Great to be on board. Many new crew members since we were on in May, but nice to see Mikee, Rose, Brian and Frud. And, of course, Capt Bjarne.

I think there are about 93 passengers on this voyage, and haven't seen any we know yet. The 7-day is a full ship. Don't know how many will be doing the B2B.

Trapper

Sounds like great cruise(s) your going on. We've enjoyed SDI for the last 8 or 9 years straight

We have become real close to the awesome crew, we really enjoy boarding the boat to all there smiling faces

Just curious is Doramus aboard the ship for these cruises ?

Been trying to follow him on his face book page

Just wondering since he has become a father if he is still a member of the crew ?, we are cruising on SDI Feb4th-11th

Hope weather is great as always, let us know what Doramus is up to

A senior moment. Meant to mention Brenda, not Frud. And Tristan, too.

Don't expect to see Doramus on your trip, Cabosal. I recently emailed him, inquiring as to his status, but haven't heard back yet. Mikee leaves for holiday after the 4 day, and Rose will be following him the following week.

Lovely dinner on deck 4 last night. Terrific piece of turbot. Most of the deck was taken up by a large group. Still trying to figure out the language. German? Norweigian? Usually pretty good at that, but this time having a bit of difficulty. Give me another day or two.

Out for a snorkeling excursion this morning at Tobago Cay. A zodiac wet landing is planned.

Sorry that I have been off-line for a few days. There has been a serious energy shortage on SD1. Not the ship's - - - mine. A couple of hours in the sun and I can barely turn the pages on my Kindle. Went on a snorkeling excursion in Tobago Cay, but the current was pretty strong. In a calmer area, we did see a sea turtle, so all was not lost. Had our lobster pizza at Mac's in Bequia. Under new management since last summer. An ex-pat from San Diego. Hadn't been ther in a couple of years, but Gareth says it is better than before. Lots of lobster, and the owner is a nice guy to chat with. We may go back tomorrow.

Found out the large group was Danish, celebrating a birthday. Very nice folks, with well behaved kids. We did dinner on deck only once ou of the four nights. Took Jim's advice and did the degustation dinner in the DR. Very pleasant. Thursday night the dinner on deck was cancelled due to weather. Last night we were speeding back to Barbados, so it would have been too rough to eat out. Did the Splash at Mayreau yesterday. Don't know if it is a new practice or was because of the winds, but caviar and champagne were served on the beach instead of the surf.

Today is turnaround day in Barbados, with 22 of the 93 staying on board. Finally made the honor roll at the Club party, coming in 3rd with 103 nights, Second was a few more than us, but first was over 700. Don't think we'll ever make that mark.

Crew, as always, is excellent. Also on board are Adnan, Jose, Marko, Thomaslav (Md'), Peter (HotMan) and Toni (AD), to name a few. Brian will also be getting off soon, Cabosal, so you probably won't see him either.

And now the next travellers will be boarding. We will have to check them out.

Sounds like you had a great 4 day! Looking forward to the next report.

We will be doing a Barbados to Barbados on February 18 with Vandrefalk and DH.

Have done this one before so looking for new ideas. Let us know if you find some intriguing things to do.

Have not been to Mac's yet. Must go this trip. Glad to know it is even better!

I have heard great things about it!

Sounds like some of favorites will be on vacation, but I am sure the others will be great too.

Hoping you have another great voyage!

Lying at anchor off Bequia. Hasn't changed much since we were here last. But that was only a couple of days ago. This is the only port that is duplicated from the 4-day. A bit overcast today, but I eschew the sun so it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'll spend the day on my Deck 4 perch.

A lot of new people arrived yesterday. There seems to be one small group who all know someone else in the group from past sailings. And then there is a group of about 40 gathered by a TA for a special occasion. I gather they don't all know each other, either, with the TA being the common link. Folks all seem nice, though. Maybe a greater percentage of Americans this time. Last week we were 24 of 93. This week there are 103 souls aboard.

And now for a substitution. Robin is in for Jose in the dining room. Still trying to get my mind around the concept of going home for vacation. Doesn't that seem backwards? Welcome aboard, Robin. Good to see you again.

Sounds great, does a group slow things down. Any problem with dinner on the ship with a group?

See my answer on the large groups post. Don't know about dinner because we haven't been in the DR yet.

Stayed on board yesterday in Bequia (mussels and fries beat lobster pizza), and got off today in Saint Lucia just to pick up a couple of things at the marina store. And then back on deck. A very pleasant day of doing nothing. Agree with Ho Hum that the ship is nice when there are few people on board. So far they have moved dinner indoors yesterday and today because of iffy weather, but we will get a table on deck 4 regardless.

Food, of course, has been fantastic. I force myself to get on the treadmill every day. Well, almost every day.

Tonight is the Club party. About 2/3 of the passengers, so they have invited everyone. Made it to the top 3 last week. First time. Whee! We'll see where we stand on this segment.

Hey Jim. Roll Tide!!!

See my answer on the large groups post. Don't know about dinner because we haven't been in the DR yet.

Stayed on board yesterday in Bequia (mussels and fries beat lobster pizza), and got off today in Saint Lucia just to pick up a couple of things at the marina store. And then back on deck. A very pleasant day of doing nothing. Agree with Ho Hum that the ship is nice when there are few people on board. So far they have moved dinner indoors yesterday and today because of iffy weather, but we will get a table on deck 4 regardless.

Food, of course, has been fantastic. I force myself to get on the treadmill every day. Well, almost every day.

Tonight is the Club party. About 2/3 of the passengers, so they have invited everyone. Made it to the top 3 last week. First time. Whee! We'll see where we stand on this segment.

Hey Jim. Roll Tide!!!

Roll Tide back atcha!!!! Help pull us through.:D

Since Doramus, Brian, Mickee, etc will be gone do you have any info on the crew members that we will have on our forthcoming cruise on 2/4? (SDI). Who is the hospitality guy? Jeff? And who is captain? Hope you are having a great time and good weather. Thanks for any info you can give us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got off at St. Martin this morning and sitting in the exec lounge at the airport, so wifi is good. Here's the summary of the 7-day. Actually spent most of the time lying on deck. Went into port just to look around at several locations, and maybe pick up some necessities, like shaving cream, etc. The only port where we really spent some time was yesterday at St. Barth. I spent time, Zimmy's spending was of another nature. But we still made it back to the ship for lunch.

Beach party was FANTASTIC. We were at Coconut Grove on Nevis. Our first time there. Lounges were all set up on the beach, with umbrellas for every two chairs. Nice breeze off the ocean, although the water was kind of rough. Too rough, in fact, for a wet landing. We had to tender to Charlestown, and then went by van to the beach. Made it harder for the guys to transport everything, but they rise to the occasion every time. For lunch, some tables were set up on a patio, but most people ate in the open air restaurant that was ours for the day. Vans ran continuously back to the pier, and the regulars all agreed it was the best party ever.

Landing today was at Phillipsburg rather than Marigot because of choppy seas. So when we got off we got to see several of the bigguns. And some big ships, too. :eek:

As for the crew, Mikee got off to fly home to join Rose, who got off last Saturday to celebrate their daughter's 18th birthday. (Hard to believe they have an 18 year old child.) Remaining on board are, I assume, Adnan, Brian, Tristan, Robin, Juan III, Leo, Jonathan, Tomaslav (Md') Peter(HotMan) Andreij (Chef) Danny, Martin, Marko, Angelo, Francisco and more. Gareth is the Club Dir and Toni is the Activ Dir. And my best friend, Capt. Bjarne is at the helm.

The same high winds that caused us to dock on Dutch side of island affected flights out of SXM. Had to fly out with low fuel, and then stop at SJU to top off the tank. Just enough of a delay to make connections at CLT precarious. I hope our fellow passengers going on to PHX caught their flight. Alternative is an overnight in CLT. We might have made the tight connection to ORD, but decided to take the late flight. A couple of hours in the Admirals Club is better than being harried.