Canceling ship insurance

buchman67

My cruise is in 9 months and back when I booked it, almost a year ago I went ahead and selected it.

After reading and doing research I would like to purchase ins. Outside of NCL.

I have already paid for my cruise in full, do any of you know if I can cancel and will I get a refund or an on board credit?

Just want some feedback before I call so that I go into the call somewhat informed.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think it may depend on exactly when you paid for the insurance.

Most policies have a 10-14 day 'review' period where you have 10-14 days from the date you paid for the policy to decide if you want to keep it or cancel it. Once that 'preview' period ends, you've purchased the policy...and may not be eligible for any refund of the premium.

Your best bet is to call and ask.

Thanks!

Our understanding from NCL experience (note: this is NOT definitive) is that as long as one is prior to any cancellation penalty, one can cancel the insurance and get the money back.

Presumably the reason is that you have not yet had any "insured exposure", because if you cancel the trip, you just get your deposit back. No insurance claim would be used.

However, you should also check with someone like Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

to make SURE that whatever other policy you want will "work" if purchased this much later after first payment.

That would depend in part on what types of coverage you need.

So probably don't cancel NCL (unless you verify you could purchase it again, given advance timing) before being certain that you are able to get coverage you want elsewhere.

Our understanding from NCL experience (note: this is NOT definitive) is that as long as one is prior to any cancellation penalty, one can cancel the insurance and get the money back.

Presumably the reason is that you have not yet had any "insured exposure", because if you cancel the trip, you just get your deposit back. No insurance claim would be used.

However, you should also check with someone like Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

to make SURE that whatever other policy you want will "work" if purchased this much later after first payment.

That would depend in part on what types of coverage you need.

So probably don't cancel NCL (unless you verify you could purchase it again, given advance timing) before being certain that you are able to get coverage you want elsewhere.

Great advice. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

On the subject of the time you have to cancel, be aware of how they count the days. For example, let's say you have ten days to cancel. Let's say you booked your cruise and bought your insurance on February 24. Are you within the 10-day period if you cancel on the 6th of March?

The cruise agency (if you bought through them) or the insurance company may (likely will?) count the 24th, the day of booking & purchase, as day 1. Feb 28 would be day five. So, to fall within the ten day period you must cancel no later than March 5.

Seems to me that the counting should be in 24-hour increments. That is to say that in this hypothetical, Feb 25 would be day one (02/24 to 02/25 is one day), Feb 28 would be day four, and March 6 would be day ten.

Unfortunately, my experience is that the company says the day of booking, 02/24 is day 1 and cancelling on March 6 is day 11, one day outside the ten-day cancellation period.

Lesson: if you are thinking of cancelling the insurance don't wait until the last minute.