Interstate 45 Shutdown 5 - 8 May, 2017!!!

Unbelievable total shutdown of Interstate 45 northbound and southbound between Houston and Galveston starting 9pm Fri May 5 through 5am Mon May 8. Plan accordingly!

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Gulf-Freeway-to-shut-down-this-weekend-11114631.php

Northbound

The Texas Department of Transportation will shut down all northbound lanes of the Gulf Freeway from NASA Parkway to Scarsdale Boulevard on Friday, May 5 at 9 p.m.

The road reopens on Monday, May 8 at 5 a.m.

All traffic will be diverted to the northbound feeder road, where drivers will sit at traffic lights at NASA, Bay Area, El Dorado, Dixie Farm and Scarsdale before re-entering the freeway.

Southbound

All southbound lanes of the Gulf Freeway will shut down beginning south of League City on Friday at 9 p.m. and will stay closed until Monday at 5 a.m.

All traffic will detour to the southbound feeder road and will need to travel through traffic lights at League City Parkway, FM 646 and FM 517 before re-entering the freeway.

Unbelievable total shutdown of Interstate 45 northbound and southbound between Houston and Galveston starting 9pm Fri May 5 through 5am Mon May 8. Plan accordingly!

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Gulf-Freeway-to-shut-down-this-weekend-11114631.php

Northbound

The Texas Department of Transportation will shut down all northbound lanes of the Gulf Freeway from NASA Parkway to Scarsdale Boulevard on Friday, May 5 at 9 p.m.

The road reopens on Monday, May 8 at 5 a.m.

All traffic will be diverted to the northbound feeder road, where drivers will sit at traffic lights at NASA, Bay Area, El Dorado, Dixie Farm and Scarsdale before re-entering the freeway.

Southbound

All southbound lanes of the Gulf Freeway will shut down beginning south of League City on Friday at 9 p.m. and will stay closed until Monday at 5 a.m.

All traffic will detour to the southbound feeder road and will need to travel through traffic lights at League City Parkway, FM 646 and FM 517 before re-entering the freeway.

Use the feeders on HW I45 OR HW3 parallel to 45 , HW146, HW288 to HW6, HW6, HW35 parallel to 45 to 6

Edited by ssb

Any idea why? We are not going until next weekend, just wondering if this is something that could carryover.

Construction work.

Rumor is same northbound section between NASA Pkwy and Scarsdale may be scheduled for closure next weekend as well. No mention of another southbound section closure for next weekend that I have seen. Suggest checking this link next week to confirm:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report_media.aspx?report=shortlist

I did receive an email from Carnival today advising Breeze guests of the construction work this weekend. Maybe they will do the same next week if needed.

Any idea why? We are not going until next weekend, just wondering if this is something that could carryover.

Widening the highway. It has been a long process but well worth it.

Houston area has 6 million plus residents, Galveston hosts 6.5 + million visitors annually. Hwy expansion is critically important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As of 9am TXDOT announced it will be a lane at a time closure, not total freeway shutdown.

For those recommending Hwy 3 it's a crowded mess most Saturdays.

As long as you have one of the three Texas toll tags take the Beltway. 21 miles of the beltway system are toll only, no cash. You still have time to register a vehicle for EZ Tag Express online.

As of 9am TXDOT announced it will be a lane at a time closure, not total freeway shutdown.

For those recommending Hwy 3 it's a crowded mess most Saturdays.

As long as you have one of the three Texas toll tags take the Beltway. 21 miles of the beltway system are toll only, no cash. You still have time to register a vehicle for EZ Tag Express online.

Trying to Connect to I45 at beltway 8 intersect will not avoid construction location. Construction is south of Beltway 8 .

Use northbound from Galveston

146 to 225 or BW 8 up north

6 to 288 59 or 35

3 to BW8 but will be busy

ferry

Or vice versa southbound

See maps in above post

And construction has been revised as to what's closed. The freeway is diverted to the access road where no traffic lights are involved.

It will be slowed (went through a few min ago and saw the barricades) but not as bad as planned.

I'd use 146 if early, but it gets crowded after noon.

Are Hwys 288 and 6 decent roadways? Good alternative in the event of lane closures again this coming weekend (Saturday May 13) or even when leaving Galveston after cruise (Sunday May 21) ??

Are Hwys 288 and 6 decent roadways? Good alternative in the event of lane closures again this coming weekend (Saturday May 13) or even when leaving Galveston after cruise (Sunday May 21) ??

More than decent !

boring as heck, but other than that it is a fine way to get to Toxic City.

Thanks for all the info. Looking for good alternative in the event there are lane closures down to Galveston again this weekend. We will be stopping in mid Houston for a quick visit with friends and 288/6 looks pretty good if necessary.