Second best Mediterranean Cruises

We are exploring the possibility of taking a Silversea Mediterranean Cruise for 11 days in September but have been dismayed at the very high cost. I understand that Silversea is the best Mediterranean Cruise Line, (I have never cruised before). Which Cruise Line would then be considered the second best?

Do you know where in the Med you want to go? You can find some much cheaper cruises than Silversea which will hit the same destinations at maybe half price or less. Oceania line is very good, excellent food, calm ambience. Norwegian Cruise Lines are fun ships. Pretty much every line goes to the Med.

What other priorities do you have? Drinks package? Wide range of dining venues? Or are you celebrating a birthday or anniversary and, excuse the pun, wanting to push the boat out?

Our first Med cruise was on a Thompson ship about 20 years ago. The food was mediocre, rude table companions, but we loved every destination and just thought of the ship as a transport system. Have never gone with them again!

In conclusion I think Oceania are great, but they are more expensive than many other cruise lines doing the same routes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You ask about second best? Well, there's a bit of gap between the top, the middle and the others. How much do you think is a fair amount to pay per day? and what do you expect to get for that money? Transport between the ports definitely but what standard of food and drink? and do you want it all included?

Welcome to cruise critic. :)

As this is your first cruise and getting to particular ports would be most likely be of high importance, I suggest you pick your cruise on the itinerary and timing and then filter for cruise line. Most Mediterranean cruises are usually very port intensive so there is not that much time spent on the ship.

I would think Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Royal, NCL, Costa, and MSC would be a good start and if you want something a bit fancier perhaps Oceania, Azamara and Viking.

Good luck choosing.

Best is always subjective, and then there are different grades of cabin and other aspects onboard that mean one person's experience will not be the same as the others.

Unless you want to sail specifically for the 'recognition' of sailing on the second best cruise line, it's a bit like choosing a hotel, or a car rental agency because they're second best... Usually there are other criteria that would be more important to your holiday experience than that. I'd suggest using those criteria first - and then choosing a cruise line from the short list from those other criteria.

I have cruised the Mediterranean on both Celebrity and Oceania. Both were excellent but Oceania was much more relaxed and they didn't have all the crazy photos taken throughout the ship etc. You could also take your own alcohol on board which was lovely and saved a lot of money! We would still buy drinks onboard but it was nice to have our own wine in our room.

One other major consideration besides ports you want to visit is the time at the port. Some cruise lines have short port times, you want as long as possible to be able to do a tour with ease. We did nearly all private tours that were arranged prior here with others on the roll call.

We are exploring the possibility of taking a Silversea Mediterranean Cruise for 11 days in September but have been dismayed at the very high cost. I understand that Silversea is the best Mediterranean Cruise Line, (I have never cruised before). Which Cruise Line would then be considered the second best?

The cost of a cruise and the standard of luxury on a cruise is entirely subjective. What may appear expensive to some , could represent, excellent value for what you get, to others.

There is a section on Cruise Critic especially for the pro's and con's of luxury cruising...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444

I have enjoyed the all inclusive luxury of Regent Seven Seas for 2 cruises and found them excellent.

I would suggest you get a list of the destinations you want to go to and then check out which cruise lines cruise to those ports and the go from there. Am pretty sure Silversea is not the number one - there are cruise lines out there - that would rate themselves higher than Silvesea. My experience is that demographics of a particular cruise line and destination - followed by price are all something you should look at. I have cruised with various lines and have enjoyed them all in varying different ways - so keep this in mind - and everyone you speak to will have a different opinion - best you decide your budget and destination and then go from there...Happy cruising - but if you are like the rest of us - one cruise and you will be hooked.....cheers V.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on Silversea in the Med..it was a long time ago (2005) and, as we had never cruised before, we wanted the best we could afford. We did have a wonderful cruise but, unfortunately, our second cruise with them two years later (Caribbean) was such a disappointment that we never returned.

Since then we have found Azamara which we would recommend for the friendliness of the officers & crew, the service and the time spent in port.

As they are smaller ships they can dock nearer to the ports and also provide shuttles to the town in most ports. They also have the AzAmazing Evenings..a lovely event where the guests enjoy a special event onshore once during each cruise..a concert or a performance in a venue not normally accessible.