May 2 - 10% Early Booking Bonus

Stumblefoot

We did that a few weeks ago! Seems ages ago now

Darn it! Just missed you by a year! :rolleyes: This was our only so close to home cruise on Silversea and we missed the more international mix of passengers from our Med cruises.

Edited by Randyk47

We booked early for Singapore - Hong Kong February 2018 onboard Silver Whisper to get the 10% discount and "free" business class air fares. One of the reasons is the "Fare Guarantee Programme" I read about in their brochure. Perhaps I am interpreting it wrongly but it states:

"Silversea's Fare Guarantee Programme provides you with the peace of mind in knowing that when you plan ahead and book early, not only will you be able to reserve your desired suite, but you can also benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for your voyage, upon request"

So I thought that booking early was "risk-free" as far as any further reductions in price. Am I interpreting this wrongly?

This our first time with Silverseas so I am sailing uncharted seas (pun intended).

Edited by AVACTION
spelling

We booked early for Singapore - Hong Kong February 2018 onboard Silver Whisper to get the 10% discount and "free" business class air fares. One of the reasons is the "Fare Guarantee Programme" I read about in their brochure. Perhaps I am interpreting it wrongly but it states:

"Silversea's Fare Guarantee Programme provides you with the peace of mind in knowing that when you plan ahead and book early, not only will you be able to reserve your desired suite, but you can also benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for your voyage, upon request"

So I thought that booking early was "risk-free" as far as any further reductions in price. Am I interpreting this wrongly?

This our first time with Silverseas so I am sailing uncharted seas (pun intended).

We booked and paid for our November 2017 Amazon cruise (Barbados round-trip) in June last year in order to qualify for the 10% discount. Last month we noticed that the price had been reduced. We sent an email to Silversea referencing their Fare Guarantee Programme and requesting a refund of 5%. They replied saying that they were also running a two category upgrade promotion. We were able to keep the suite we originally booked for the price of one two categories lower. We received a refund of 25%.

Both the 10% discount and two category upgrade promotions have now been extended to 30th June, although the price has increased by 1%.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically you should be able to benefit from price reductions. Since the fare guarantee program went into effect we haven't had a cruise go down in price so personally we've never been impacted. Prior to that I'd have to say over our six cruises Silversea has been pretty good about extending reductions certainly before final payment and providing some other form of compensation, like an onboard credit, after final payment. We've only been cruising with Silversea since 2012 so others here may have had much more experience. I don't know if Silversea does this or not but other lines do and that's the fine print "only applies to new bookings" caveat which could be a potential dodge around the guarantee. I'd like to say this doesn't or won't happen with Silversea but can't for sure.

Ross,

It's my understanding the guarantee is strictly limited to an actual reduction in the fare. So, if SS adds promotions like suite upgrades or reduced air, an existing booking isn't eligible for these promotions.

Ross,

It's my understanding the guarantee is strictly limited to an actual reduction in the fare. So, if SS adds promotions like suite upgrades or reduced air, an existing booking isn't eligible for these promotions.

That's true. Will say that for our last cruise they added the suite upgrade incentive after final payment. Our TA contacted them and since we were already in Verandah 6s they gave us an onboard credit in compensation. They also seem to treat reduced air differently than free air. On a cruise a couple of years ago they threw in free air but we'd already booked and paid for our flights so again SS gave us an onboard credit. This upcoming cruise has reduced coach air fares but SS isn't offering any onboard credit as compensation for not taking their offer. Unfortunately they're not offering any reduced business/first class air. We asked and their quote was more than we could directly book ourselves.

That's true. Will say that for our last cruise they added the suite upgrade incentive after final payment. Our TA contacted them and since we were already in Verandah 6s they gave us an onboard credit in compensation. They also seem to treat reduced air differently than free air. On a cruise a couple of years ago they threw in free air but we'd already booked and paid for our flights so again SS gave us an onboard credit. This upcoming cruise has reduced coach air fares but SS isn't offering any onboard credit as compensation for not taking their offer. Unfortunately they're not offering any reduced business/first class air. We asked and their quote was more than we could directly book ourselves.
Good to know. Thanks Randy!

We got "free" business class fares included by booking direct with Silverseas (Australia), the online TA in the U.S.A., who I've used before, was not able to match the "direct" price or offer any add-ons.

I suppose it's best to keep an eye on the Silverseas website to see if there are any price reductions or other special offers and then contact them to see if any compensation is forthcoming?

We got "free" business class fares included by booking direct with Silverseas (Australia), the online TA in the U.S.A., who I've used before, was not able to match the "direct" price or offer any add-ons.

I suppose it's best to keep an eye on the Silverseas website to see if there are any price reductions or other special offers and then contact them to see if any compensation is forthcoming?

Sure all you can do is watch and check periodically. Even Silversea kind of bails and says in its fare guarantee program that reductions will be applied "upon request". That certainly implies to me that it's up to the customer/passenger or maybe a really attentive TA to monitor their fares. Other incentives like on board credits or free/reduced airfare offers are kind of a catch as catch can and you may or may not be able to take advantage of them or get some compensation in lieu of. It would be nice if Silversea was more proactive but I will say at least in the past they've been accommodating when asked.

Sure all you can do is watch and check periodically. Even Silversea kind of bails and says in its fare guarantee program that reductions will be applied "upon request". That certainly implies to me that it's up to the customer/passenger or maybe a really attentive TA to monitor their fares. Other incentives like on board credits or free/reduced airfare offers are kind of a catch as catch can and you may or may not be able to take advantage of them or get some compensation in lieu of. It would be nice if Silversea was more proactive but I will say at least in the past they've been accommodating when asked.

It most certainly is up to the customer to chase up the discount - and be quick about it too as if it goes, you've lost the chance. I was very very lucky on my last. Someone on my role-call not so lucky. It seems to be the start of the month they change things, so its worth making a note to check at the beginning of each month. I know mine isn't selling that great so am hopeful, but no problem if it doesn't happen.

It most certainly is up to the customer to chase up the discount - and be quick about it too as if it goes, you've lost the chance. I was very very lucky on my last. Someone on my role-call not so lucky. It seems to be the start of the month they change things, so its worth making a note to check at the beginning of each month. I know mine isn't selling that great so am hopeful, but no problem if it doesn't happen.

I actually check weekly but it does appear they more or less work on a 30-day cycle. I really haven't spent a lot time tracking our cruise in terms of trying to figure out whether or not it is selling well but only the very top cabin category is waitlisted for whatever that's worth. They did extend the initial early payment 10% discount that expires May 2 to June 30 but that and reduced coach airfare are the only incentives showing. Maybe they'll get more desperate. :)