New Orleans - What to do

cfmoore76

Parking is god-awful miserable. There are parking lots but they are expensive. Look up the streetcar and take the streetcar line in.

That's what I thought. Maybe we'll just take Uber from hotel. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I thought. Maybe we'll just take Uber from hotel. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you have something to compare to your Uber cost, if you can find metered parking I believe that is $3/hr. Here are rates for a parking lot that's a block or two from cafe du monde.

https://www.premiumparking.com/P401

Another option is parking at the riverwalk mall and walking or taking a streetcar. They give you an $8 discount if you spend $20 in the mall. Easy to do if you eat lunch or get a drink. There's also a cafe du monde in there.

Customer parking is available in the Center-adjacent "Whale" Surface Lot and the Hilton World Trade Center Garage, operated by Riverside Parking (Hilton Hotel).

The Outlet Collection at Riverwalk offers a validation program provided by the lot operators. Center guests who spend a minimum of $20.00 during their visit will receive the following $8.00 discounted rate:

0 - 1 hour: $3.00

1 - 2 hours: $5.00

2 - 4 hours: $7.00

4 - 6 hours: $11.00

6 - 12 hours: $20.00

12 - 24 hours: $39.00

In order to receive the parking validation, shoppers should bring their purchase receipt(s) totaling at least $20.00 to one of the Parking Ambassadors located at the Julia Street and Spanish Plaza entrances.

The Whale Lot is a cashless property. Credit cards only accepted.

https://www.riverwalkneworleans.com/contact-us.html

Edited by Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...
So you have something to compare to your Uber cost, if you can find metered parking I believe that is $3/hr. Here are rates for a parking lot that's a block or two from cafe du monde.

https://www.premiumparking.com/P401

Another option is parking at the riverwalk mall and walking or taking a streetcar. They give you an $8 discount if you spend $20 in the mall. Easy to do if you eat lunch or get a drink. There's also a cafe du monde in there.

Customer parking is available in the Center-adjacent "Whale" Surface Lot and the Hilton World Trade Center Garage, operated by Riverside Parking (Hilton Hotel).

The Outlet Collection at Riverwalk offers a validation program provided by the lot operators. Center guests who spend a minimum of $20.00 during their visit will receive the following $8.00 discounted rate:

0 - 1 hour: $3.00

1 - 2 hours: $5.00

2 - 4 hours: $7.00

4 - 6 hours: $11.00

6 - 12 hours: $20.00

12 - 24 hours: $39.00

In order to receive the parking validation, shoppers should bring their purchase receipt(s) totaling at least $20.00 to one of the Parking Ambassadors located at the Julia Street and Spanish Plaza entrances.

The Whale Lot is a cashless property. Credit cards only accepted.

https://www.riverwalkneworleans.com/contact-us.html

Thanks for the info and links! I guess we'll just wait and see how comfortable I am driving around the area. Uber is nice as we can just have them come to wherever we are when finished and not worry about back-tracking on foot. But at those rates for parking, that would definitely be the cheaper option.

• 2 months later...
Thanks all!! Is Bourbon Street scary at night lol?

It's a site to see but there have been a lot of violence going on down there. Always be aware of who's around you. Pat o briens piano bar is a good place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a site to see but there have been a lot of violence going on down there. Always be aware of who's around you. Pat o briens piano bar is a good place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is the occasional act of violence but to say there's a lot of violence is just incorrect

Thanks for the info and links! I guess we'll just wait and see how comfortable I am driving around the area. Uber is nice as we can just have them come to wherever we are when finished and not worry about back-tracking on foot. But at those rates for parking, that would definitely be the cheaper option.

The roads are paved so the driving is just fine

Like geeko said there is occasional violence but it's not something that happens everyday. A couple of people were attacked from behind about a month ago. There's video. It's probably on YouTube.

I walk all over down there. My suggestion would be travel on the busier streets. Bourbon,Royal/St. Charles,Canal,Poydras. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't turn down any dark alleys. If nobody else is there, you probably shouldn't be there either.

I'm sure it's no different than any other biggish city when it comes to this stuff. I've been there 100 times and outside of a couple of drunks trying to fight each other, I've never seen any violence