FYI: TSA not accepting some states driver's licenses-effective Jan.1, '18

nelblu

Unfortunately the Commonwealth of PA is still resistant and has made little progress in complying with the Real ID Act. As of Jan 2018 a PA driver's will not qualify as acceptable i.d. for airline passengers in this state.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/Pennsylvania-largest-state-federal-Real-ID-law-drivers-licenses.html

This has been delayed for some time to allow all the states to comply. I believe there are 5 states that have to do it, usually when your license is renewed.

Delaware was a mess. They would not accept my passport book as legal ID........What the ####?

Good luck folks.........it's up to the states to put that star on your license.

Right after 9/11 NJ legislation required digitized and photo upon renewal of your license. In order to get the new license, you need to produce documents totaling 6 points. I had my passport (4), real estate tax bill (1), and social security (1). Unfortunately, some documents had my middle initial & others did not. They would not accept my passport as I was told that it was so easy to forge.

I argued with the supervisor, that the law as written, was intended to prove oneself and the photo on my passport plus my other documents would confirm my identity. No go. Was told to go to Trenton and change my name to eliminate my middle initial to match my passport. I was dumbfounded and went home pissed & talking to myself.

When home, I called my local State Senator to intercede on my behalf as I told him that this entire episode was ridiculous. He did and when I went back, everything was all smiles.

Thank God I don't have to go thru this episode again. It was much easier getting the Global Entry card than renewing my DL from a non-photo to the current digital & photo one.

That argument has never made a lot of sense to me. Our information is already compiled on countless databases, both public and private, so what information could possibly be produced that isn't already out there? Why does the thought of (yet another) national database get people so riled up?

"States Rights" is a thing, and states have the right to wonder about such issues.

I have no doubt it will be delayed again. I have no issues with the delays. (Easy for me to say since I have a passport and Nexus, though)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

States rights pertain to matters that are within the limits of the state. The acceptability of identification for INTERstate travel is unequivocally within the purview of the federal government, exclusively. The states literally have no say in such matters as a matter of constitutional precept.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I live in Kansas and Kansas is good for Real ID licenses. I live on the border of Missouri, and though Missouri dragged their feet almost until the state Congress adjourned, they did pass a law to change to licenses with the Real ID chip required.

Since this won't be ready for a year or more, residents with licenses not Real ID ready can still check in with their current licenses, according to what I read. They give them a grace period once they pass the law.

I wonder how well this works at airports outside of Missouri, though.

Very interesting posts on some states do or don't accept certain forms of ID.

Can't beleive DE would not accept a passport as proof of ID, others saying documents not matching other forms of ID. :eek:

When applying for passports, everyone needs the same forms of documentation, why can't this DL be the same? This is pure idiotic nonsense that needs to be corrected and all states come together as one and everyone one on the same page!

We have passports, AZ does have the new enhanced DL, next time our DL comes up for renewal we will do the new DL.

Good luck to everyone needing to comply, we'll all be in the same boat once the TSA and homeland security gets their act together!

Let's be completely clear on what the article says:

...may be rejected ... some state driver’s licenses ... may need to use ... won't mean you can't fly ... present another ID ...

Note that it comes from AARP, not an official government agency.

Note that the "acceptable security standards" aren't defined.

Note that the article doesn't address whether they're talking about domestic or international travel.

This is a poorly written article with few actual facts; not a reason to worry.

What I know personally: My state, which is considered quite backwoods, just announced that as we renew our drivers' licenses, they'll now be Real IDs -- so this means that within X number of years, everyone's license will be "up to date". I think it makes sense to standardize licenses across states. When officials are responsible for only one type of ID, it'll be easier for them to spot fakes /spot criminals.

I suspect this is true for other states too: We are moving towards an ID that'll work better across state lines.

Just another reason to get a passport.
If you're going to travel internationally and actually need a passport, yes. Based upon this article alone, no.

True, but I believe the "enhanced" DL will take the place of the passport card so no reason to have two documents.
I think it would make sense for the Real ID to take the place of passports. Easier to carry in a wallet, no bulky book, useful in other areas of your life ... not just for international travel.

The Peoples Republic of Maryland allows illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses, so those are pretty much worthless for any form of identification.

Maryland Drivers licenses are Real ID compliant and have been for a while. ( I know you are really making an off topic political rant but I don't want people to be confused)

Unfortunately the TSA has stated that PA will not qualify for a further delay beyond January unless they show some progress in complying with the Real ID law. Up to the legislature now - a game of chicken where we all lose again.

Maryland Drivers licenses are Real ID compliant and have been for a while. ( I know you are really making an off topic political rant but I don't want people to be confused)

Not all are Real ID compliant. From the MVA website:

"Immigrants who do not have valid US Citizenship and Immigration documentation can apply for a non-compliant driver's license or ID card. Individuals with Maryland driver's licenses or ID cards who do not have a verified social security number, and have maintained licenses or ID card without expiring for more than one year, can receive a federally non-compliant driver's license or ID card when they renew."

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/faqs/driver-licensing-questions.htm

Legislators in the People's Republic of Maryland didn't want to upset the Illegal Immigrant Community and lose their votes, so the MVA still issues driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Not a rant, just the unvarnished and inconvenient truth.

Not all are Real ID compliant. From the MVA website:

"Immigrants who do not have valid US Citizenship and Immigration documentation can apply for a non-compliant driver's license or ID card. Individuals with Maryland driver's licenses or ID cards who do not have a verified social security number, and have maintained licenses or ID card without expiring for more than one year, can receive a federally non-compliant driver's license or ID card when they renew."

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/faqs/driver-licensing-questions.htm

Legislators in the People's Republic of Maryland didn't want to upset the Illegal Immigrant Community and lose their votes, so the MVA still issues driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Not a rant, just the unvarnished and inconvenient truth.

Any state can issue non compliant licenses. That is allowed by the federal law. The point is that Maryland is compliant with the Real Id law. And has been for years. My drivers license is compliant and has the Star on it indicating that.

Maryland will issue undocumented immigrants drivers licenses to regulate their driving. I agree with that policy. Otherwise they will drive unregulated. It has nothing to do with immigrants votes. The legislators want to get the votes of citizens who don't want unlicensed drivers on the roads.

As for your calling Maryland a "People's Republic" that is just name calling.

Unfortunately the Commonwealth of PA is still resistant and has made little progress in complying with the Real ID Act. As of Jan 2018 a PA driver's will not qualify as acceptable i.d. for airline passengers in this state.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/Pennsylvania-largest-state-federal-Real-ID-law-drivers-licenses.html

Yea unfortunately this state doesn't move too fast on any issues including fixing roads. Another reason to get out and head south.

I just did a little googling and as of now Pennsylvania is the only state left of the nine that would not have been compliant in 2018 that has not passed a law to issue Real ID compliant drivers licenses. The other eight states that were not compliant for the 2018 deadline passed laws the last few months. They will probably get extensions. The date for full compliance is 2020. So I expect they will lose this game of chicken. The deadline likely won't be extended again beyond January 22, 2018 if it will only effect the residents of one state. Pennsylvania will either give in or their licenses won't be accepted.

I just did a little googling and as of now Pennsylvania is the only state left of the nine that would not have been compliant in 2018 that has not passed a law to issue Real ID compliant drivers licenses. The other eight states that were not compliant for the 2018 deadline passed laws the last few months. They will probably get extensions. The date for full compliance is 2020. So I expect they will lose this game of chicken. The deadline likely won't be extended again beyond January 22, 2018 if it will only effect the residents of one state. Pennsylvania will either give in or their licenses won't be accepted.

Tell Congressman Shuster that the PA Real ID-compliant license will be called the "Shuster Memorial License." That will guarantee it will get done quickly!!! Ever drive through Blair/Bedford counties - the Bud Shuster Memorial interchange, the Bud Shuster Memorial Bypass"... The son took over his dad's seat in Congress. The family is legendary for getting self-serving pork.

Although Connecticut drivers licenses are not listed in the states that are not yet compliant, you must bring a lot of documentation when you renew your license to get a compliant, "enhanced" license. If you show up without all the documentation you have the option of returning at a later date with it all to receive a compliant license or just receive a non-compliant license.

Those that only travel by air once in a while will most likely miss this upcoming requirement and be in for a rude awakening when they do after this is implemented. Hopefully the airlines will have a notice/reminder when this starts.

Although Connecticut drivers licenses are not listed in the states that are not yet compliant, you must bring a lot of documentation when you renew your license to get a compliant, "enhanced" license. If you show up without all the documentation you have the option of returning at a later date with it all to receive a compliant license or just receive a non-compliant license.

Those that only travel by air once in a while will most likely miss this upcoming requirement and be in for a rude awakening when they do after this is implemented. Hopefully the airlines will have a notice/reminder when this starts.

That is true but don't call it an "Enhanced" license. It is a Real ID license. An Enhanced license is something else that can be used for land or sea border crossings instead of a Passport or Passport Card. A Real ID card can't be used instead of those. The rude awakening for those who don't get a Real ID license will be when they try to travel by air in October 2020 unless that deadline is extended.

The requirements is not only for air flights but for entry into military facilities , federal court houses, and other federal facilities requiring Real ID photo identification. Just think about Ma and Pa Kettle that never fly, but drive up to Fort Mosquito to see Private Jr Kettle. No RealID, no entrance to the Fort! Someone will have to drop off Jr out at the front gate.

Tell Congressman Shuster that the PA Real ID-compliant license will be called the "Shuster Memorial License." That will guarantee it will get done quickly!!! Ever drive through Blair/Bedford counties - the Bud Shuster Memorial interchange, the Bud Shuster Memorial Bypass"... The son took over his dad's seat in Congress. The family is legendary for getting self-serving pork.

Good idea to write to or email our state legislators on this. There are a lot of people that do not have passports. The occasional traveler that takes a flight out of PA after Jan 22nd will likely have no idea until they get to the airport and have their driver's license refused as id. Then there will be a lot of screaming across the state. So unnecessary! Politicians should just do their jobs! I know it is too much to ask.