Going back and forth on les choice for Alaska (Carnival) for a D750 and an N80?

m00dawg

For our trip coming up I'm planning on bringing my D750 and my N80 (the latter mostly for fun to try out film again, hopefully for some nice landscapes). I have a Nikon 28-80mm (the $50 Ken Rockwell special), 50mm, 60mm and a Tamron 70-300mm (the consumer version so it's pretty meh).

I've been reading a lot of reviews (and posted on reddit.com/r/photography) and it seems like zoom is all around a lot more useful, at least from the boat for both vistas and wildlife? The former I'm wanting to have a lot more (wildlife may be better enjoyed when I'm not trying to "get that shot"). For walking around at port carrying something like a Tamron 150-600 seems to be a lot of weight relative to how much I think I might use it? Thinking about taking my 50mm and putting it on the N80 and maybe using the 28-85mm on the D750 (or visa versa) for ports.

So I was thinking instead of going for a wide angle, like the Tokina 17-35 or 16-28. I read a few reports the former may not always work well with a D750. So I thought of a Nikon 20 though would prefer some multi-focal just for better framing. I also thought about the Nikon 24-120 or a Sigma 24-105 A (either of them probably used to keep the cost somewhat in check).

Unless I go with something like the old Nikon 20mm f/4 or a Sigma 17-35, I'm probably looking about only being able to buy 1 lens. So long story short, for landscapes, is a monster zoom still the best choice over a wide angle?

We will be doing the glacier and train excursions for an added bit of detail.

Given all that, any feedback for those that have been before?

For our trip coming up I'm planning on bringing my D750 and my N80 (the latter mostly for fun to try out film again, hopefully for some nice landscapes). I have a Nikon 28-80mm (the $50 Ken Rockwell special), 50mm, 60mm and a Tamron 70-300mm (the consumer version so it's pretty meh).

I've been reading a lot of reviews (and posted on reddit.com/r/photography) and it seems like zoom is all around a lot more useful, at least from the boat for both vistas and wildlife? The former I'm wanting to have a lot more (wildlife may be better enjoyed when I'm not trying to "get that shot"). For walking around at port carrying something like a Tamron 150-600 seems to be a lot of weight relative to how much I think I might use it? Thinking about taking my 50mm and putting it on the N80 and maybe using the 28-85mm on the D750 (or visa versa) for ports.

So I was thinking instead of going for a wide angle, like the Tokina 17-35 or 16-28. I read a few reports the former may not always work well with a D750. So I thought of a Nikon 20 though would prefer some multi-focal just for better framing. I also thought about the Nikon 24-120 or a Sigma 24-105 A (either of them probably used to keep the cost somewhat in check).

Unless I go with something like the old Nikon 20mm f/4 or a Sigma 17-35, I'm probably looking about only being able to buy 1 lens. So long story short, for landscapes, is a monster zoom still the best choice over a wide angle?

We will be doing the glacier and train excursions for an added bit of detail.

Given all that, any feedback for those that have been before?

I would post on the photography board.