So what are your tricks for hand washing in your cabin and getting your clothes dry?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:01 AM.
Sydney, Australia
6,965 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by NMLady
We wring them in a towel and hang them on the line that is provided in the shower. If they are not dry enough in the morning I use the hair dryer on them.

That is for the few items that we do not send to the ship's laundry, using bag special.
Unfortunately some cruise ships, like Celebrity Solstice, don't have lines in the shower so it can be a challenge finding somewhere to dry things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney

Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Coral Springs,Florida
1,767 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Some great information here! We just started taking longer cruises on Celebrity and they don't have self serve laundry so this information is great.
Exactly where I want to be
6,455 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
Unfortunately some cruise ships, like Celebrity Solstice, don't have lines in the shower so it can be a challenge finding somewhere to dry things.
That is where having your own travel clothesline comes in handy. It's a cheap, easy fix.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Every trip is different, and I am different on every trip."
My opinion is my own and not reflective of any company I may work for who may or may not have a presence on this website.
Avatar photo: taken by me from my hot air balloon on the Masai Mara
Fishersville VA, USA
2,306 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Ocean Dancer
You don't have to do that anymore! Just wash your clothes in the Flo Rider then dry in the I-FLY. They are open each day between 8 and 9 for this very purpose. Don't you read your Compass?
Great minds here in CC! Love this!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grandeur 27 Jun 2004/Explorer 16 Jun 2006/Empress 21 Jul 2007/Carnival Glory 10 Jul 2010/
Anthem 16 Jun 2016/Brilliance June 30 2017...Retired US Navy Radioman/Information Systems Technician (1980-2000)......johnxjen at gee mail dot com
Florida
3,760 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I use the shampoo provided by the ship, use towel to wrap and squeeze out water, then onto plastic hangers with laundry clips. Mine are from Germany and Hong Kong, but they should be available in North America as well. There is always some place to hang them in the cabin over night. Drying is faster in the cabin than in the bathroom.
I have cotton t-shirts, but I only take the ones that dry relatively fast and put them on blow-up hangers to separate the front and back.
Whatever can't be washed by hand, must be sturdy and colorfast enough to go to laundry service. So far, everything came out fine. Our cruises tend to be 4 weeks, no chance to bring enough clothes for that long.
197 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
To make your own Wrinkle Release spray use one teaspoon fabric softener in 1 cup water. Put in spray bottle and shake. I take an empty spray bottle and a couple of ounces of fabric softener in a separate disposable container and mix as needed. Works great.
Sydney, Australia
6,965 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by slidergirl
That is where having your own travel clothesline comes in handy. It's a cheap, easy fix.
Except when you can't find any way to attach it securely. I tried everything on Celebrity Solstice but with a bed-by-balcony cabin there was nowhere I could attach it where it wouldn't block access to the bathroom.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Delaware
1,070 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Except when you can't find any way to attach it securely. I tried everything on Celebrity Solstice but with a bed-by-balcony cabin there was nowhere I could attach it where it wouldn't block access to the bathroom.
You can use magnetic hooks on the metal walls of your cabin. Then stretch your travel clothesline (lots of options when you google it) wherever you want in your cabin. Granted there is not a lot of room, but it is definitely possible.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

Next Adventures -
November 2017 Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand
October 2018 Silver Galapagos
11,193 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We travel with carry on only, 20 inch roller each. We do this for a one week trip or a two-three month trip. Since retirement fours years ago when we decided to go for six months. It has been a bit of a learning curve.

We now buy clothing with a view to travel. Heavy cotton items stay home. Easy dry, light, no wrinkle fabrics are the rule. We dress in layers and all of the clothes in our bag are complementary colors. We often do not know specifically that we are taking a cruise. We sometimes shop for last minute cruise offers while we are doing independent land travel.

We don't bring any hooks, detergent, fabric softener, whatever. We just use what is available...hand soap, shampoo, etc. We do the laundry bag thing on ships but if we wash something out we will dry it/them on the balcony...in the sun. For shirts and blouses two hours or less does it on a sunny day. On land trips we do the same, use laundrys or laundry mats. The latter it great since we invariably meet up with other travellers (often Ozzies) and get travel tips.
Washington
5,772 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Porta...clothes+washer

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Laundr...A2996C75Y77H1P

https://www.amazon.com/Clothesline-Y...thesline&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Wom...avel+underwear

BTW, we usually just send our laundry to the ship's laundry and have had no problems ever.
Fredericksburg, va. USA
81,462 Posts
Joined May 2001
I wouldn't cruise for a LONG cruise on a ship without a self-laundry. The sinks are tiny, and what a pain hand-washing is! But..if I HAVE to rinse something, get as much water out as possible and hang it on a hanger from the AC vent...the air blowing on the garment dries it fast. I don't like putting stuff on the balcony, because of the salt in the air...I don't like how it makes the clothes feel!
minnesota
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Yes, Solstice Class staterooms are a little harder as they don't have the retractable clotheslines in the shower. A couple ideas for you:
When you know you'll be out all day, like a port day, do the wash and string the clotheslines from the handhold bar or soap dish/basket in the shower to something in the sink area, ie the crossbars on the shelves, the faucet, or anything securely attached. The Nite Ize twist ties come in handy for such installations. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ize+twist+ties
You can also string one from the soap dish in the shower to the shower head bracket. Not ideal, but it works and doesn't restrict use of the facilities.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Port MSP
2007 Celebrity Millenium- E. Caribbean
2008 NCL Dawn- E. Caribbean
2009 RCCL Adventure OTS S. Caribbean; HAL Westerdam- Alaska
2010 HAL Eurodam - E. Caribbean
2011 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
2012 Celebrity Equinox - W. Caribbean
2013 Celebrity Summit - S. Caribbean
2014 Celebrity Summit - S. Caribbean; HAL Oosterdam- Alaska
2015 Celebrity Reflection - E. Caribbean
2016 Celebrity Reflection - W. Caribbean; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
2017 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam- E. Caribbean
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,619 Posts
Joined May 2000
Interesting thread. We have now spent far more then 1000 days on various cruises and can honestly say that we have never washed out any clothes in our sink (or cabin). We consider a cruise to be a vacation and the last thing that DW wants to do on a vacation is laundry . Cruise ship laundries have served us well. We do know some light packers that are always washing-out their underwear and some clothes....but that is not our style. We simply bring along enough clothes so that we only need to send out laundry once or twice a week.

Hank
11,193 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
The challenge is that when we are travelling for anywhere from 6-14 weeks it becomes impossible to pack and not do laundry. We decide to pack for a max of 6-7 days no matter what. It has worked for us so far.

We most often send it out. If we are on land we will also use a laudromat from time to time. We don't however sit there and watch. Last time it was speaking with the locals in Palermo. The owner spent 25 years in Boston in the fishery and moved back to Sicily to retire. Very interesting guy. Prior to that it was a laundromat in Riomaggiore. Bung the load in and then sit opposite in sidewalk cafe drinking beer and swapping stories with some well travelled Australians while the laundry went round and round. They were doing the same as us.

We originally got the idea to travel light from a couple that we met at a laundomat in Florence. They each had less luggage than either my son or me. He, a recently retired bank VP, and his wife were travelling through Europe by train with no particular itinerary. They were just about finished their second 30 day rail pass and we going to buy a third. One carry on bag each. For practice, they told us they took Amtrak from Seattle to LA. They quickly realized that they could not, and did not want to, handle so much luggage. So, they went native. They both seemed thrilled with the result. Very happy campers. We figured if they could do and be so happy about it so could we.
Ohio USA
599 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Woolite (or generic delicate wash) makes fewer suds and is easy to rinse. Dump a capful into a zip-top bag with a folded washcloth to travel. That way, no leaks. Use the damp cloth to pre-treat stains, then either swish in the sink or toss in the washer with your laundry. Seems to make my luggage smell fresh, too.
Microfiber undies and unpadded bras dry faster, and won't get misshapen when rolled in a towel and squished.
Look in your local dollar store for curved close-pins (the cheap version of the Boca clips to keep your towel on your beach chair). They're perfect over the towel bars in the bathroom, and for keeping curtains closed.
Sydney, Australia
6,965 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by SuiteTraveler
Woolworths/Coles various stores might carry these or just shop online for them.
Thanks, I'm hoping Bunnings might have some. Woollies and Coles don't have much in that line of stuff, just very basic things.

Our next Solstice cruise isn't until 2019 so plenty of time to find some. Actually we'll be in the US before that cruise so I might even get some from Walmart.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature