Crab legs

Kathie13

On our two Princess cruises, there were crab legs/claws on the Seafood Extravaganza offered in the buffet on the first night. This was several years ago, so I don't know if they still do this.

At one time that even offered lobster claws but last time they were eliminated.

Just curious. What type of crab legs did you have in December and on which ship? Thanks.

Harvey

Oasis, it was King Crab.

Not to get any hopes up. The legs were small and sectioned. They were not whole legs.

Sent from a mobile device

Is it true there are crab legs every day at Cabana's?

We were on a 4 day cruise and the crab and shrimp stations were there for sure on boarding day. That is the first place we went when we embarked and were greeted with multiple crab and shrimp stations. I think I saw them once more but we had lunch on excursions twice so I can't really say for sure. Always had dinners in MDR.

dp

• 3 months later...

We had the crab legs on our Oasis cruise in 2014. We had to purchase them from the seafood restaurant across from Johnny Rockets. Can't remember the name of the restaurant. They weren't very good, though.

I have never seen crab legs served on any mainline cruise line since my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983. That includes thirty plus cruises on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Holland America, and Norweigan.
Princess has them or should I say had them,

I have never seen crab legs served on any mainline cruise line since my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983. That includes thirty plus cruises on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Holland America, and Norweigan.

Had on Princess twice

We had the crab legs on our Oasis cruise in 2014. We had to purchase them from the seafood restaurant across from Johnny Rockets. Can't remember the name of the restaurant. They weren't very good, though.

The restaurant across from Johnny Rockets is Sabor, which is a mexican restaurant.

The restaurant across from Johnny Rockets is Sabor, which is a mexican restaurant.

It used to be The seafood shack before she entered in for dry dock and they changed it to Sabor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

SEAFOOD SHACK...My hubby and I loved the Seafood shack on Oasis...apparently we were in the minority as they took it out and replaced with Sabor Mexican.

Crab Legs!!!

You must be thinking of Disney Cruise lines. In the Buffet (Cabana's):p

quGTU-0OxgujyBtFzV0RT0qJ62dOP3Ciy1gOtiAzHgbjx5HNwBh_i93aghopUfFhQWDA4a2pywqT6cemttZ8vk5AkV_3c5WGuk1Cgq7_6nd2ixBLjDUJb3vPiIn3zhwtWqEn5AOJYnyzYSZUPZ8qNuFB0NN9vcnC4cGTrYvvgU7xsAzl--hmZmR6kBQdJNsdUYj9GGKgYqlfmdSHxOZz6qNVQGcBNYI2s1p9GHA3nj20pzyx2bbb7hjUZ3LzFIH9m5YR0BJxCpsYHlfg9o8kkxUU61g_4CuPFoE-sTBVAiXBoUhcSRNnNiZ_Qcf2dmbQFDi7b2ne9nI0EgQDXItlCH7iSn_piH_J8dFlpKiQsrYx89aYMbJPZMWH5LYffqUb5Yhbh5qPJy0pxOLx98PxBzWtA6vgEm_mAq6gfNlEyc9w42ryZxiF8I7xX7ik_klVuP7SgUkrTwaXH-Ad_WVwsDOq5Xkbvs_AL9VVYMBNA1ZQl3ZVyLtL2NSFDyC7w2OjsUQCIimolN75d1Ep6lf2dcRKgnnLZO0h8pZqgq5m-7Qw_RWvFr2L6xh1KnxrtDFnuGFQ_Sh9RKYkxiSiolkZs-96-ymqNzsjYqfCSF0SDUved2j4wgdx8IC680722AfgdQRcXYvYB_5rEe0ZnlLPG75sD4LUBZhyRVecLjzWx7tGbg=w1036-h691-no

For those looking at this thread, I'm just quoting myselt to update the link to the image that was in the original post since Photobucket puked

dp

Ya'll do realize that if you eat "crab legs" - King, Snow or other 'big legs' - you are eating a frozen product that comes from Alaska?

Looking for 'crab legs' in Florida or on a Carib' cruise is kinda silly, sort of like trying to buy fresh Stone Crab in Alaska. Even in Alaska most crab is frozen; if you don't see live crab around, the product you are eating is frozen.

Ever watch 'dangerous catch'? See how concerned they are about keeping the crab they catch alive until 'delivery'? This is 'cuz crab goes bad FAST once dead .... REAL FAST. So it is delivered to a processor alive and processed immediately. Processed means cleaned, COOKED and most is frozen ..... (unlike most 'fish' which dies and is iced. For example a swordfish or tuna caught, will be headed and gutted and the body packed in ice .... and may stay that way for a week or more b4 being delivered to shore to be sold as FRESH and then spend 2 more days before it gets to a store or market .....)

Was Captain of a CG cutter that monitored the fisheries in Alaska ... learned a good bit about fishing and fish processing as a result..... working in Alaska we had crab legs weekly. We bought 'em frozen .....

If you wanna get 'em cuz you are on vacation and willing to splurge, or want to know a place that serves 'em, I understand. I just want you help you be aware that the huge markup on the item in a restaurant is for virtually NOTHING prep wize .... they rapid steam the frozen product and toss it on a plate .... You will get a better meal if you go and buy a box at the grocery or big box store and prepare them at home .... at least you know the defrosted product wasn't sitting around for a while b4 it was served. (crab on a buffet .... Danger Will Robinson ... Danger!)

an article I saved:

In most cases, the king crab you purchase has already been cooked by the processor. The majority of Alaska's crab is cooked and blast frozen to secure it's prized taste. Preparing king crab is usually just a matter of using your preferred reheating method.

If buying frozen crab legs, thawing them is the first thing you need to do. We recommend thawing king crab overnight in your refrigerator. If you're in a big hurry, king crab can be thawed under cold running water to speed this up. Try bending the crab legs at their joints or slightly squeezing the middle of the merus section to make sure the king crab legs have thawed.

As you might have guessed, there are a variety of ways to reheat king crab. Steaming, boiling and baking are among the most common. With these methods, king crab only takes only 4 to 8 minutes to reheat. Keep in mind that unless you have purchased a live king crab, the crab legs in front of you have already been cooked. Be careful not to overcook your king crab as it will reduce the prized texture and taste.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Ya'll do realize that if you eat "crab legs" - King, Snow or other 'big legs' - you are eating a frozen product that comes from Alaska?

Looking for 'crab legs' in Florida or on a Carib' cruise is kinda silly, sort of like trying to buy fresh Stone Crab in Alaska. Even in Alaska most crab is frozen; if you don't see live crab around, the product you are eating is frozen.

Ever watch 'dangerous catch'? See how concerned they are about keeping the crab they catch alive until 'delivery'? This is 'cuz crab goes bad FAST once dead .... REAL FAST. So it is delivered to a processor alive and processed immediately. Processed means cleaned, COOKED and most is frozen .....

If you wanna get 'em cuz you are on vacation and willing to splurge, or want to know a place that serves 'em, I understand. I just want you help you be aware that the huge markup on the item in a restaurant is for virtually NOTHING prep wize .... they rapid steam the frozen product and toss it on a plate .... You will get a better meal if you go and buy a box at the grocery or big box store and prepare them at home .... at least you know the defrosted product wasn't sitting around for a while b4 it was served. (crab on a buffet .... Danger Will Robinson ... Danger!)

Was Captain of a CG cutter that monitored the fisheries in Alaska ... learned a good bit about fishing and fish processing as a result..... working in Alaska we had crab legs weekly. We bought 'em frozen .....

an article I saved:

In most cases, the king crab you purchase has already been cooked by the processor. The majority of Alaska's crab is cooked and blast frozen to secure it's prized taste. Preparing king crab is usually just a matter of using your preferred reheating method.

If buying frozen crab legs, thawing them is the first thing you need to do. We recommend thawing king crab overnight in your refrigerator. If you're in a big hurry, king crab can be thawed under cold running water to speed this up. Try bending the crab legs at their joints or slightly squeezing the middle of the merus section to make sure the king crab legs have thawed.

As you might have guessed, there are a variety of ways to reheat king crab. Steaming, boiling and baking are among the most common. With these methods, king crab only takes only 4 to 8 minutes to reheat. Keep in mind that unless you have purchased a live king crab, the crab legs in front of you have already been cooked. Be careful not to overcook your king crab as it will reduce the prized texture and taste.

All crab is frozen unless you are at the dock and can buy there

Any great crab spots local to Port Canaveral?

When Oasis was in Ft. Lauderdale, you could just hit up Rustic Inn the night before and get your fix :)

In PC, go to Grills and have Lion Fish

they only serve it fresh .. meaning they may have none when you go. But if they do .... yummmm

enhance

Buy them at home (grocery stores carry them)..thaw them a bit and pop them in a HOT oven for about 15 mins....melt butter while you wait. Delicious! Seafood is about the easiest thing in the world to cook/prepare. Cooks fast (and all crab legs are fully cooked before they're frozen...and they are ALL frozen!)... RCI is not into crab legs...so don't hold your breath waiting for them.

Thank You Capt Bob. You know you just crushed some people worlds right. :cool: I have a great friend who always talks about how she gets crab legs on vacation in Florida and how much better they taste "fresh from Florida" When I told her she the fresh from the freezer truth she almost cried. To soften the blow I invited her over for one of my crab boils. Easiest thing ever.