Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Yes. I get it.

In the early morning as dawn breaks and I take my ailing dog out, I look at the moon and stars and know they will endure ...

I know that people have seen them for centuries before me, I only hope people will endure to see them for centuries after me.

Absolutely horrendous news from Manchester which is just forty five minutes away from me...The Arena is a popular venue for many in our area including my offspring.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those families and the people of Manchester.

Jeff it's horrendous with some kids still missing and more in hospital with life threatening injuries......my heart breaks for those parents suffering right now......when my DD was a teen l would often take her up there to a concert and wait outside......it's unimaginable....

There is yet another pall over the world with this senseless attack on innocents. Parents everywhere are holding their children tighter. Thoughts and prayers for those affected and the world at large.

Another senseless tragedy. So very sad.

Senseless to us but, presumably, not to the perpetrator.

It's that gulf of complete mutual incomprehension that is the true tragedy; we'll never stop these attacks while we don't bridge that gap.

But don't ask me how, I haven't a clue. Sadly, nor do most of our so-called leaders.

I suppose the test of a civilised nation is that it will not bend to such evil nor will it allow the actions of the very few to become an excuse to persecute any part of society.

Actions such as took place last night can bring people together or drive them apart. Let's hope we are big enough to tend to the former rather than the latter.

Hi TTS,

It has certainly brought the British people together and there is a perceptible sense of solidarity.

It cannot be ignored however that there is a problem in that there is a significant and growing number who feel that the Muslim community are quieter than they might be. I fear that what is seen by many as a lack of engagement with this problem and a lack of integration. There is a feeling that not only do they not integrate, or wish to integrste but an alrming percentage have attitudes that are incompatible with the rest of British society.

The issue will not dissapear if it isn't confronted through a fear of political correctness.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey

Hello Jeff.

I think I completely agree with you, but your proper English verbiage does not present the point in the same manner that my Southeastern US redneck dialect would.

I agree there is a major problem not only in the fact that they are not interested in integrating into our society, but they insist upon maintaining attitudes that are incompatible not only with British society, but also the rest of the civilized world.

I definitely agree there is a lack of seriously needed confrontation and expressions of disgust by moderate Muslims. Without this I do not see how the civilized world will ever be able to correct the mindset of these "evil losers".

I support President Trump's "extreme vetting" initiative, but would probably go further in prohibiting anyone who will not denounce Sharia Law from entrance to our country.

Muslims have been in my view the only group of immigrants to the UK that not only seem unwilling to integrate but also demands that the host nation adjusts and compromises and changes to meet their requirements. It has gone too far.

The problem is the more non-Muslims criticise it seems the more it is used to increase the numbers attracted to radicalism. The less energetic the Muslims are the greater the vacuum in which the redicilism festers and increases. Added to this are it seems an increasing number attracted to recreational murder and torture.

Apart from violent response, the solutions all reside within the greater Muslim community and they do not appear to want to respond. It can only get worst, much much worst.

Hi TTS, It has certainly brought the British people together and there is a perceptible sense of solidarity. It cannot be ignored however that there is a problem in that there is a significant and growing number who feel that the Muslim community are quieter than they might be. I fear that what is seen by many as a lack of engagement with this problem and a lack of integration. There is a feeling that not only do they not integrate, or wish to integrste but an alrming percentage have attitudes that are incompatible with the rest of British society. The issue will not dissapear if it isn't confronted through a fear of political correctness.

Overall, this is very sad situation and the security levels/warnings have been up in the UK. Good luck for the coming weeks there. Appreciate this very impressive summary by Jeff on these many important issues and questions. It has always been a question about how the "integration" of a society/community can be achieved to be successful. How do we get all peoples to join together for the common benefit and help to make it happen?

The research cited and connected was interesting. Although I am generally more "conservative", when I dug deeper for the sponsoring group of this research, I saw the name of former UN Ambassador John R. Bolton as their Chairman. That raised a little of a "red flag" in my mind. The data sounded "realistic", but there are always questions in asking these types of question of an audience target group that has not always been as trusting in sharing their viewpoint.

Lots of smart, thoughtful questions to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,336 views for this posting.

Terry,

integration has been achieved by waves of different groups over time. Many groups have done so whilst preserving their culture and identity. There is only one imperative, and that is the desire to assimilate. integrate and fit in. Without that genuine desire, it is impossible.

You may remember I posted this some time,back .... Trevor Phillips was a person you would not expect to arrive on TV with these findings. It was a shocking set of results which supported the later survey.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry, integration has been achieved by waves of different groups over time. Many groups have done so whilst preserving their culture and identity. There is only one imperative, and that is the desire to assimilate. integrate and fit in. Without that genuine desire, it is impossible.

You may remember I posted this some time,back .... Trevor Phillips was a person you would not expect to arrive on TV with these findings. It was a shocking set of results which supported the later survey.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

Hope that I do not ruin Jeff's image by agreeing with him again. Yes, more excellent points about the history, needs and relevance for "assimilation" when coming into another country. Appreciate this added link and polling/research data. More has been in the news today, including the wider and closer links to the terror groups in Libya, etc.

Very sad situation, especially with the security levels being at the highest point for the UK right now.

It is just two weeks and a day till we leave for Lisbon/Portugal. We are purposely avoiding the larger cities such as Paris. My wife is fairly calm about these issues and traveling to Europe at this time. BUT, some other friends have shifted off of plans to do a fall trip to Europe as a results of this terror attack in Manchester.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 50,993 views for these postings.

G'Day Coolers.....

Still reeling from the Manchester attack as more victims are named.....so much heartbreak but am proud to have observed the one minute silence this morning in the peacefulness of my little garden haven.

Jeff, l really don't know what the answer is to these barbaric happenings.....l was a great supporter of Enoch Powell....

Pleased that Terry is now on serious cruise countdown...l currently have friends on the Spirit who are having a wonderful time and all is perfect.

It's currently 28 here with no wind so very warm....l started in the garden at 7am to work whilst it was cool....as this weekend is a bank holiday it's lovely to look forward to sunshine as opposed to our normal wet ones!

Happy Day

S 😊

Hi Soapy,

yes the scenes at 11am in Manchester was moving and it was good that the Queen visited.

There are no easy answers but what must happen but isn't is that all Muslim leaders must keep repeating .... and by that I mean they must shout .... that Islamism is NOT and has nothing to do with Islam. They must explain to their own young and communities that Islamism is abhorrent to all genuine Muslims and that they sully the name of Muhhamad when they pass their brand of extremism as his teachings which it is not.

The challenge is that they spend as much time hating different brands of Islam and there is no clear leader as say a Chief Rabbi or Pope. But that doesn't excuse every community Iman and Muslim leader of all sects from repeating that on this topic there is solidarity and repeating the mantra that Islamism is not Islam. They must teach their children and young to love and not hate their neighbours and that they must preserve their religion within the context of assimilation into their host countries.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Greetings Coolers! Another soggy day here. Apparently our summer weather forecast is all over the map. Hot then cold then hot then cold. Another El Nino is developing in the Pacific Ocean and that always plays havoc with North America weather patterns.

Miss S.....so very glad that you can enjoy your piece of heaven! Soothes the soul!

J......I have never been able to wrap my mind around the depth of hate that people demonstrate. We don't come into the world with our focus on death and destruction. What happens to generate that kind of evil? Where do the boundaries of human-ness get trampled to such a degree that human life means nothing? I just cannot fathom it!

On that sorry note, I wish all Coolers peace and contentment today!

Good afternoon Coolers ..... and boy could we do with some Cooling. I should have got the AC plugged in and didn't and now regret it. We got up to 35 today.

Coolers from overseas, or indeed perhaps even UK may not be aware of a loose organisation and publication called The Idler which is devoted to the profession of Idling. It is not really tongue in cheek but quite seriously postulates the importance and place of idling. Tom sent out a news letter today which I thought I'd share.

Idlers, it seems, are busy little bees. “His most startling characteristic is that he is always intensely busy,” wrote one of the patron saints of idling, the great Jerome K Jerome, about what he called the “genuine idler”, in “On Being Idle". That wonderful essay is in his collection Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (1886), which I recommend you seek out.

Being idle, of course, is not about doing nothing so much as doing things that you choose to do. Work could be defined as something you don’t want to do, whereas idling is the opposite. Idling is not the same as the deadly sin of sloth, or in Greek, acedia, which was all about giving up on life. Idling might involve periods of doing nothing, of contemplation, because doing nothing is very enjoyable and very good for your health. But it might also involve building fires, throwing a party or learning the foxtrot. Idling is about freedom.

Of course the things that you do want to do are not always easy: there is a lot of pain and worry involved in putting on events, producing a magazine or creating an online course. But finally you are creating something and the process of creation makes you feel alive.

If people wish to dip in and perhaps even subscribe .... and as you'd expect I'm a member ..... perhaps this would make a good present for someone who has just had a significant change in their lives from "work" to "not work" .... anyway hope people enjoy a look ....

http://idler.co.uk/join/?utm_source=All+idlers&utm_campaign=b6cd7b5e0d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4a89e5ba3a-b6cd7b5e0d-6731534

I visited the website you posted J. It is a very interesting place! Melds nicely with Epicurus. :) And I am loving the book!

Glad you are enjoying Epicurus .... and the "travels" and the Idler. I wish I was one of those Greek coffee drinkers with their friends and tavli. Sadly one thing we don't really appear to be taught or coached in is how to actually live and that's why I think some of those Greeks have an awful lot to teach us. Myster would benefit from Idler.