Security

Lorrainbow

Can anyone tell me what the security procedures r for p and o in particular Britania? Just slightly concerned going on a giant ship with a Union Jack flag on it may be a possible target. (I do have an irrational fear of terrorism which is why I'm not flying on holiday this year) just need to stem my fear but reassurance there is a robust system in place. I take it they scan well when u get back on ship at each port etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The security procedures are the same for all the ships. Luggage is scanned before being loaded on board. Your photo is taken for your cruise card and you have to show your cruise card every time you disembark/embark the ship. The card will be scanned and they do a visual check that you correspond to the person on the card. Any handbags/beach bags/shopping bags, etc. etc that you are carrying have to be put through the security scanners when getting back on board. If you are wearing sunglasses/a hat when you pass through security you will be asked to remove them. Children are not allowed to get on and off the ship without parents and they will not even let the children go through security unless there is a parent immediately in front or behind (my son has a habit of charging ahead and is always annoyed that he gets stopped and has to wait for one of us - he's in his mid teens). I have never known them to be anything but thorough.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the terrible events in Manchester. I used to live there and know the city well, I still have family in the area and they often go to concerts at the Arena.

Please don't worry, P&O take security seriously.

Security is as good as at an airport. All people and baggage go through a security process on embarkation.

Bags are scanned going back onto the ship, sometimes via the port facilities and sometimes via the ships own systems. There are also security arcs.

The area around the ships are secured as well.

All pax have a card scanned on the way out and on the way back onboard so staff can check the pictures of those getting back onboard to ensure that no one can get onboard who is not supposed to be there. You often get checked twice, once at the port gate and again getting onto the ship.

Ships are a lot more secure than your local shopping centre or train station. Go and have a wonderful holiday.

It's just so awful and hope all ur family and friends are safe xxx

Thank you Lorrainbow, they are. The children aren't old enough yet to go to concerts, the adults wouldn't be likely to go to Ariana Grande, more like AC/DC and Beyoncé. :D

Have to say that we find security on the ships to be excellent. Compare it with a land based hotel and it is far tighter.

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Manchester tonight

Absolutely presto2.

It seams I'm the only one mildly concerned lol I'll get over it xx

No you're not - I have say I was relieved that we are not flying this weekend but sailing -- which is unfair as security at Manchester Airport is superb. (Recently we met someone who complained that Manchester was the worst airport they had ever used as the security took so long!)

Its only natural to pause and think

Safe journey and I hope that let gets better soon !

Can anyone tell me what the security procedures r for p and o in particular Britania? Just slightly concerned going on a giant ship with a Union Jack flag on it may be a possible target. (I do have an irrational fear of terrorism which is why I'm not flying on holiday this year) just need to stem my fear but reassurance there is a robust system in place. I take it they scan well when u get back on ship at each port etc

We've always found P&O security to be thorough, from arrival at the terminal to disembarkation. The security staff getting on/off the ship have always looked to be alert and doing their jobs perfectly - I have no doubt that they hold their security standards as high as they can and we've never had a worrying experience :)

Thoughts going out to everyone affected in Manchester - it's a really scary, awful world we live in at the moment.

Dan

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected but, if we all start changing our plans, the terrorists will have won. Sadly it can happen anywhere. We just have to live our lives as best we can.

Can anyone tell me what the security procedures r for p and o in particular Britania?

No they can't.

People can tell you about the visible security passengers encounter (bags scanned, metal detectors, etc).

What they cannot tell you about are the (probably more important) security arrangements​ for the aspects of ship operations that go unseen by passengers; cargo, ships stores, port operations, etc.

However it is not something to worry about. Aside from the fact there is nothing you can do about it, if you are concerned about security​, P&O are twice as concerned and they can do something about it.

No they can't.

People can tell you about the visible security passengers encounter (bags scanned, metal detectors, etc).

What they cannot tell you about are the (probably more important) security arrangements​ for the aspects of ship operations that go unseen by passengers; cargo, ships stores, port operations, etc.

However it is not something to worry about. Aside from the fact there is nothing you can do about it, if you are concerned about security​, P&O are twice as concerned and they can do something about it.

Agree with you completely. As passengers all we see is the tip of the iceberg and even that is fairly impressive in terms of security.

I am sure there is much more going on in the background that we don't know about.

You need to keep your fears in perspective as well. There is still way more of a likely hood that you could be in a road accident than in a terrorist attack. I know that is easier said than accepted, but it is a fact of life and bad things can happen everywhere.

Not an easy situation though and I do not mean to make light of the problem or show disrespect to people who were directly affected by the attack and their friends and relatives.