RCCL Megaships and Symphony of the seas

Hi there

We are planning a family holiday with 6 adults and four early teens aged 11, 13, 13 and 15 in the Mediterranean in July next year. We are thinking of going on a cruise and it seems that the one that would fit in with our plans is Symphony of the Seas. I would really appreciate any comments regarding the following:

Should we get adjoining cabins for the kids? (Prefer ocean view balcony but any input would be appreciated)

Do you have to stand in line for dining, activities etc.

Do these ships feel as if there are thousands of people on them?

Is there an excessive amount of time in getting on and off at ports?

Are there areas that are quiet?

My son-in-law has never been on a cruise before and I am trying to convince him that he will enjoy it - but do have concerns about 5,000-6,000 passengers.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheryl

I've just come off the NCL Epic and enjoyed the mega ship feel though I won't go on the Epic again.

Really missed the promenade. The Epic just didn't flow well.

Looking at Symphony with it being in Europe and wanted to get some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some activities that typically have lines, such as the Flowrider and the Zipline.

With your size group, I suggest you opt for traditional (fixed) dining to avoid dining room lines.

Everyone is different.

We went on Anthem Of The Seas last year and absolutely loved it (2 adults, no children). It never felt too crowded to us, most of the time you would have no idea how many people were on board.

The only thing we queued for was to get into Windjammer after boarding the ship and small queues to get on/off on port days.

We are planning on booking a cruise for next year back on Anthem or Oasis :)

Hi there

Should we get adjoining cabins for the kids? (Prefer ocean view balcony but any input would be appreciated)

We usually get connecting rooms with our kids -- double everything (2 adults in one, 2 kids in the other). If you book the boardwalk balconies -- I think it comes with a soda package

Do you have to stand in line for dining, activities etc.

Dining -- depends if you have a set time or MyTime dining. In any case, the earlier you go, the less amount of waiting in line.

As or activities -- the more popular, the longer the wait. I'd try the Flowrider on the first day, as the line up is usually much less. And if you go during port days, again less people.

Do these ships feel as if there are thousands of people on them?

I've been on these mega ships a lot and find that there are certain times it's really crowded -- during parades, shows letting out, etc... but mostly I'm surprised that it's not as crowded as I thought it was -- you will be fine.

Is there an excessive amount of time in getting on and off at ports?

What's excessive? It's fine -- your on vacation -- no need to rush.

Are there areas that are quiet?

I find the solarium (adults only) and the central park areas nice.

My son-in-law has never been on a cruise before and I am trying to convince him that he will enjoy it - but do have concerns about 5,000-6,000 passengers.

He will have fun -- you are on vacation! And with a port intensive Med cruise -- it's like he's just sleeping on the ship and off the next day. Best of both worlds.

I hope this helps...

We had always avoided the big ships in the past. Decided to try Harmony and do a TA.

First day waiting to board it was busy. Once on board the crowd just seemed to disappear. Never seemed crowded and found lots of quiet places. Central Park and the Park Café and the Trellis bar and the Solarium Bistro was great.

We have booked the Symphony TA as we liked it so much.

Ports;

Palma is walkable, but they had a shuttle bus for Harmony. Also a public bus leaves from the port into town.

Marseilles is also within walking distance and is a nice stroll round the shops and marina.

La Spezia is a hour and a half train ride from Florence. Cinque Terre is a better option. Take a ferry to the last port and get the train back stopping at some on the way.

Rome is about a hour and a quarter train ride. A shuttle bus wi9ll drop you off in Civitavecchia. Get a train for 5 Euros into Rome. Get off at San Pietro and the Basilica will be in front of you.

Naples is within reach of what you want to do. Vesuvius, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.

Beware though. This will become very addictive.

There are hardly any quiet places on an Oasis-class ship!

Pool-deck is very crowded on Oasis-class compared to other class ships because of the cut outs for central-park and boardwalk.

I dis-agree. We did the Allure TA in 2015.

5,500 people on board and we had the whole of Vintages to ourselves for lunch one day. Another day we had the inconvenience of another couple in at lunch time.

Deck 5 running track had some streamer chairs right at the back, overlooking the wake. Got a seat every time we went there.

A bit busier, but the solarium always had space.

Now the pool deck is another story, but so is every cruise ship.

We just got off a B2B on Harmony last week. We had a great cruise but didn't really like some things about ship. Of course, the things we didn't like might be what someone else likes best.

The ship if very large and there are a lot of people at times. Most of the time you don't notice, but after shows or events or at dinner there are a lot more people out.

The sales in on the Promenade make it almost impossible to pass by. There are a lot of people that really want $10 T-shirts and watches.

There is nowhere to go on the ship (except maybe in your cabin) where it's quiet. You can hear three different sources of music at times (sometimes different genres) while on the Promenade. It's wasn't even quiet in our room often because the people next door kept having parties at all hours and the walls are pretty thin. One night someone must have had enough because we heard security knock on their door and ask them to stop.

There is nowhere to go on the ship (except maybe in your cabin) where it's air conditioned, but you can still see the ocean. The Windjammer is closed when not providing food and even the Diamond Club is windowless. The only place to see the ocean is outside. We like how on many ships you can sit in a bar and look out the window. Even if you are in your cabin and have a balcony there's nowhere to sit that is comfortable. The bed is rock hard and the couch is ... um... also rock hard. I think they don't want you being comfortable in the room because they want you out spending $$$ in the common areas.

There is almost no ocean motion. I know some people will love this, but we like a little movement to know we are sailing.

The ship is pretty amazing really and there are lots of things to do, but we like ships like Quantum, Freedom, or Radiance better. The cruise staff on the Harmony were wonderful. The food was good. But, at times, it was like just being in a hotel (not a ship).

Tom

Good morning!!! You will get a different answer for as many people who take the time to respond and mine will be no different. I have sailed 3 Oasis Class ships. (Allure, Harmony & Oasis) I too plan to sail Symphony of the Seas next June 2018. I cruise mostly with family in a group of 12 or more. By choosing this class ship there are activities that appeal to all of us. Our age range has been 6 months to 60 and never a dull moment for anyone. I prefer the quieter areas like Central Park especially at night and others in our group prefer the Boardwalk and Pool Decks. A little more noise, but easier access to food and children's camp. We are always amazed at how "NOT CROWED" it feels for the number of passengers who are on board. I enjoy sitting on my balcony at night watching the stars and feeling the breeze sooooo soothing and watching the sunrise with a cup of coffee to start my day. I do find Central Park quiet at night and enjoy sitting there as well. We have never done a Med cruise and look forward to being on Symphony port intensive or not and having the time of our lives. I hope you enjoy her equally...HAPPY SAILING :-)

The trick to dealing with the crowds is to be flexible. If the crowds are waiting for an elevator, walk down the deck you are on.... explore. Yes, pool deck is crowded, but then it has been on any ship we've been on. If you MUST have a chair next to the pool, it may be tough. But, if you aren't too picky, you'll be fine.

We were on the Vision and felt the shows in their Centrum (or whatever it is called), were very difficult to enjoy, since you had to have a front row to see anything on the decks below.

Cruising is about a state of mind.... relax, go with the flow or go a different way from the flow. But, don't worry, don't let a line dictate and don't let little things get you upset and affect an otherwise great vacation.