Buying Trip Insurance

GMRPHRN

I am a firm believer in trip insurance. I am considering booking a cruise that is more than a year out with the reduced deposit. If I do not buy cruise insurance now, can I add it later? I looked for the answer on the Carnival website. Can I buy trip insurance from another source at a later date? I am asking because I am willing to lose the deposit by canceling before the balance due date but do not want to lose the additional cruise insurance amount (an additional $260).

If you need pre-existing condition coverage, you usually have to buy within 14-21 days of the initial deposit. Otherwise, pre-existing condition coverage can be pretty expensive. I always use insure my trip or, since we are military ,I often use USAA. My trip this summer has a total cost of $7700 with everything and insurance was $180. I think it would have been three to four times that through the cruise line for less coverage and doesn't cover those costs (like airfare, hotels, tours) not booked through the cruiseline.

You can buy Carnival's Policy at least up to Final Payment deadline and I believe if you cancel your cruise you can cancel it also up to Final Payment; however the Carnival Policy is generally more expensive and has very low Medical and marginal MedEVAC coverages.

You should be able to buy the 3rd party policies at least up to Final Payment date, but if you don't purchase w/in 14-21 days (depending on which insurer) of cruise booking you do not get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and you lose the opportunity to additionally purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

As mentioned above, USAA's TravelInsured policies are one of the better deals!

ken

Edited by Ken076

If you are a member of Triple A, you can also get good travel insurance. I recently purchased ours for a Bermuda trip in May. Carnival's cost was $129 per person, and AAA's was $148 TOTAL for better coverage. I think it was right before my final payment was due.

I also buy my trip insurance independently through the website recommended above. I usually buy at final payment time since that is when I will start losing serious money and when I book non-refundable flights.

You can buy Carnival's Policy at least up to Final Payment deadline and I believe if you cancel your cruise you can cancel it also up to Final Payment; however the Carnival Policy is generally more expensive and has very low Medical and marginal MedEVAC coverages.

You should be able to buy the 3rd party policies at least up to Final Payment date, but if you don't purchase w/in 14-21 days (depending on which insurer) of cruise booking you do not get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and you lose the opportunity to additionally purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

As mentioned above, USAA's TravelInsured policies are one of the better deals!

ken

TravelInsured is great: good policies and they *pay* their claims. (That's what really matters, after all.)

But IF you need the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions, and didn't get insurance within the 21 days, then try CSA.

(The biggest difference is that including CFAR from CSA does cost a lot extra. But by final payment, one is probably more sure of being able to go, except for an emergency that would be covered by the regular insurance.)

We get our insurance through http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com and they are great about answering questions and helping to sort through a variety o choices... and needs.

If you are a member of Triple A, you can also get good travel insurance. I recently purchased ours for a Bermuda trip in May. Carnival's cost was $129 per person, and AAA's was $148 TOTAL for better coverage. I think it was right before my final payment was due.

In order to purchase the travel insurance through AAA, must you book the cruise through AAA?

Also, if AAA books a cruise for you and you later cancel the cruise, does AAA charge you any cancellation fee?

TravelInsured is great: good policies and they *pay* their claims. (That's what really matters, after all.)

But IF you need the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions, and didn't get insurance within the 21 days, then try CSA.

(The biggest difference is that including CFAR from CSA does cost a lot extra. But by final payment, one is probably more sure of being able to go, except for an emergency that would be covered by the regular insurance.)

We get our insurance through www.TripInsuranceStore.com and they are great about answering questions and helping to sort through a variety o choices... and needs.

Hi, I bought insurance through Travel Safe. Just came back from a 2 week trip to the Canary Islands, and this is the first time from over 13 cruises that my husband needed medical care. He developed the flu and ended up going to the ship doctor. Costing us over $650.00 (plus what we paid for insurance)

Well, come to find out, which I should have read the fine print previously, is that this trip insurance is a supplemental to the health insurance we already have. I highly doubt any insurance company is going to cover you while you are sick on the ship. I have to turn it in to my insurance first before they will even consider paying anything out.. Nonsense. I don't think I will ever get trip insurance again. If I do, I will do more research. The Trip Insurance store is actually where I got my insurance, who got me Travel Safe. They are one of the 9 companies they sell insurance for.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Susan

Hi, I bought insurance through Travel Safe. Just came back from a 2 week trip to the Canary Islands, and this is the first time from over 13 cruises that my husband needed medical care. He developed the flu and ended up going to the ship doctor. Costing us over $650.00 (plus what we paid for insurance)

Well, come to find out, which I should have read the fine print previously, is that this trip insurance is a supplemental to the health insurance we already have. I highly doubt any insurance company is going to cover you while you are sick on the ship. I have to turn it in to my insurance first before they will even consider paying anything out.. Nonsense. I don't think I will ever get trip insurance again. If I do, I will do more research. The Trip Insurance store is actually where I got my insurance, who got me Travel Safe. They are one of the 9 companies they sell insurance for.

I'm not sure what input you want.

You already know that you should read the fine print in advance.

Why do you doubt that *any* insurance company is going to cover you while on the ship. That's exactly what trip insurance is for.

And there are many regular insurance companies with policies that DO include coverage overseas and/or on ships.

It's important to know what *your* regular insurance does or doesn't cover.

Any yes, one should ALWAYS (as in *always*!) check all the details of coverage (or any contract one signs).

No one else can read your mind or know all the details of your other policies, etc.

You apparently selected "secondary" coverage, which only pays what primary insurance does not pay (which could vary from all to nothing).

That might save some money on the travel insurance, so many people prefer that.

But for those who prefer not to bother with the paperwork of what might be two submissions - and the delay waiting for the decision from the "regular" insurer - then "primary" travel insurance is better.

Then it doesn't matter whether another insurance "might have paid or not".

I think it is TravelInsured who charge $25 to make their medical coverage "primary"; otherwise it's secondary (or at least some of their policies in the past have been like this).

You will still get paid, it will just take a little longer.

Are you sure it is TravelSafe? I buy TravelSafe Classic because it is primary medical, not secondary. The Trip Insurance Store website very clearly lays out which travel insurance plans are primary coverage and which are secondary. Even if your plan is secondary, you will still get reimbursed for any expenses your primary insurance doesn't cover. Your location says you are in the USA, so this should be the correct info:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travelsafe-travel-insurance-details/

The Classic and Plus plans have $100,000 Primary Emergency Medical coverage

This link is also good information on the difference between primary and secondary medical coverage: https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

Edited by Mistizoom

What input do you really need? You will get paid. You just need to wait for your own insurance to send a denial letter and then send that denial letter to Travel Safe. It might take some time but eventually your claim will be paid. Why would you not get trip insurance again....because you have to wait? If you didnt have trip insurance here, you would be totally out $650.

I was told by a reputable insurance broker, that even if your medical coverage shows primary, if you mark the box on the form that asks if you have other insurance and you say yes, the travel insurance is automatically processed as secondary.

So you have to turn in your bills to your regular insurance company and maybe fill and some paperwork and then have to wait until you get turned down before you file with your trip insurance company. In the end, they will pay you. So what is the big deal about doing a bit of paperwork and then waiting a bit.

Me thinks that thou protests to much.

DON

So you have to turn in your bills to your regular insurance company and maybe fill and some paperwork and then have to wait until you get turned down before you file with your trip insurance company. In the end, they will pay you. So what is the big deal about doing a bit of paperwork and then waiting a bit.

Me thinks that thou protests to much.

DON

I can understand why people get upset and worried. Until everything is settled, the insured has no idea idea how much they will be reimbursed. In the meantime they are on the hook for possibly a few thousand until then.

I was told by a reputable insurance broker, that even if your medical coverage shows primary, if you mark the box on the form that asks if you have other insurance and you say yes, the travel insurance is automatically processed as secondary.

I am not sure what broker you are using or what plan that is, but TripInsuranceStore.com is a VERY reputable broker and they only sell plans they trust. They also have a blog where they give very detailed info about trip insurance and this is not mentioned as a possibility for any travel insurance in their blog post I linked to above: https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/ If you read the blog post, you will see that there are times (especially if medical coverage is fairly low) that secondary medical coverage is actually better and times when secondary medical actually acts like primary medical.

But again, the poster above (sunbird54) says they TravelSafe insurance and according to the "location" information she resides in Mesa, AZ. Even if you buy directly from TravelSafe rather than through a broker, all of the regular travel travel insurance I find: TravelSafe Basic, Classic, and Classic Plus or TravelSafe Explorer Silver, Gold, or Platnium have primary medical coverage. They do have a long-term medical only plan that is primary coverage after a variable deductible. The only plan they have that I can't tell if it is primary or secondary is a group travel plan. Sunbird54 says she bought from TripInsuranceStore.com and for TravelSafe they only sell Classic and ClassicPlus. So either she is wrong about the coverage she has, or wrong about the plan she has. Sunbird54 should call TripInsuranceStore.com for assistance as they have great customer service and can help figure out the issue.

Edited by Mistizoom

According to Trip Insurance Store their website list TravelSafe as "primary" insurance which if I understand correctly means you do not have to submit claim to your insurance first. I may be wrong and would suggest calling Trip Insurance Store.

Edited by Happy2cruise

I spoke with Steve at Trip Insurance Store. He was the one who told me that if you mark the box on the claim form asking if you have other insurance coverage, your primary travel medical insurance is then processed as secondary. We were talking about TravelSafe.

I am not sure what broker you are using or what plan that is, but TripInsuranceStore.com is a VERY reputable broker and they only sell plans they trust. They also have a blog where they give very detailed info about trip insurance and this is not mentioned as a possibility for any travel insurance in their blog post I linked to above: https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/ If you read the blog post, you will see that there are times (especially if medical coverage is fairly low) that secondary medical coverage is actually better and times when secondary medical actually acts like primary medical.

But again, the poster above (sunbird54) says they TravelSafe insurance and according to the "location" information she resides in Mesa, AZ. Even if you buy directly from TravelSafe rather than through a broker, all of the regular travel travel insurance I find: TravelSafe Basic, Classic, and Classic Plus or TravelSafe Explorer Silver, Gold, or Platnium have primary medical coverage. They do have a long-term medical only plan that is primary coverage after a variable deductible. The only plan they have that I can't tell if it is primary or secondary is a group travel plan. Sunbird54 says she bought from TripInsuranceStore.com and for TravelSafe they only sell Classic and ClassicPlus. So either she is wrong about the coverage she has, or wrong about the plan she has. Sunbird54 should call TripInsuranceStore.com for assistance as they have great customer service and can help figure out the issue.

The link you provided

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

to TripInsuranceStore.com's page on coverage is where is actually does state what iuki mentioned.

I wasn't aware of that, and I'm going to ask Steve about it, because I'd feel uncomfortable stating on a claim that there was no other insurance if in fact there was...

But as mentioned above, that would only affect the order of payment processing EXCEPT for the IMPORTANT part about deductibles and co-pays for one's regular health insurance IF that covered any travel costs!

The link you provided

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

to TripInsuranceStore.com's page on coverage is where is actually does state what iuki mentioned.

I wasn't aware of that, and I'm going to ask Steve about it, because I'd feel uncomfortable stating on a claim that there was no other insurance if in fact there was...

But as mentioned above, that would only affect the order of payment processing EXCEPT for the IMPORTANT part about deductibles and co-pays for one's regular health insurance IF that covered any travel costs!

Interesting, I did miss that part so thanks for pointing it out. I does seem like that minimizes the difference between primary and secondary even further. I agree I would like to know from Steve if you are obligated to disclose other insurance when submitting a claim for a primary medical travel insurance plan. My employer self-insures so large claims in one year could affect what I pay for health insurance the next year. So I have bought primary medical to avoid taxing my own health insurance plan if I do indeed need to make a claim. But maybe there really is no difference

• 11 months later...

Not true. I had AIG. Ran up $2500.00 in medical costs from the ship. Paid every penny and promptly