2017 Grandeur Refurbishment

niceneasy

Does anyone have an idea of what period of time that the Grandeur will go into drydock for refurbishment in 2017?

Will another RCCL ship be coming to Baltimore during that time?

There is also rumor of the Baltimore port in a new location to accommodate the larger ships. What have you heard?

Does anyone have an idea of what period of time that the Grandeur will go into drydock for refurbishment in 2017?

There is also rumor of the Baltimore port in a new location to accommodate the larger ships. What have you heard?

All the other ships have their itineraries set so there will not be a replacement.

I asked that question 2 weeks ago at the "Captain's Corner". He said 2 weeks for the dry dock, but, didn't know what was going to be done. Hotel Director, Michael Landry, said someone would be coming on board in about 2weeks to determine what needs to be done. That two weeks should be about now....

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I asked that question 2 weeks ago at the "Captain's Corner". He said 2 weeks for the dry dock, but, didn't know what was going to be done. Hotel Director, Michael Landry, said someone would be coming on board in about 2weeks to determine what needs to be done. That two weeks should be about now....

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Cruzinlady, You live in my home town! Small world!!

Anyone know if the suites will be part of the dry dock upgrade? I heard whispers but not sure how much truth is in them.

We did here that the new scrubber has a issue. So in dry dock they are cutting a big section of deck 7-10 just behind the solarium back. And replacing it. New outdoor screen, speakers, carpets. Furniture in the public areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The scrubber doesn't surprise me. In May, we were in an aft RFS and we had diesel fumes coming through our vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No plans at all to replace the existing cruise terminal. It would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a new terminal to accommodate bigger vessels.

• 3 months later...

The problem is not the port, but with the bridges that the Granduer must sail under to get thru the bay. The Granduer only clears those brides by less than 10 feet, so, unless they build new bridges, or lower the sea level, taller ships can't get to Baltimore.

The problem is not the port, but with the bridges that the Granduer must sail under to get thru the bay. The Granduer only clears those brides by less than 10 feet, so, unless they build new bridges, or lower the sea level, taller ships can't get to Baltimore.

Radiance Class ships can't fit under those bridges?

Unfortunately no.

Really? I thought the Radiance class is about the same size as the spirit class (Carnival Pride) which goes out of Baltimore. They only differ by 2000 gross tons and have the same number of passenger decks.

I've also read snippets around that it DOES fit under the bridges.

Really. It's been discussed for several years that Radiance Class vessels are too tall to get into Port of Baltimore. The issue is the a Key Bridge. There was much hope when Enchantment came after being lengthened and then moving back to Florida routes. (Ultimately, that's when Grandeur returned for year round sailings) They've had great success filling the Vision class ships and are probably confident they could fill a Radiance class ship....if only they could get one into the port. There has even been discussion (I heard during both a Captains Corner and C&A event) of ideas like retractable stacks/masts that might make it possible. These were just ideas, none of which have cone to fruition to my knowledge. It's most likely simple economics....it would not be cost effective to build or modify 1 ship to accommodate a specific port.

Jay

Richard Fain, also a top exec at RCI, has been quoted as saying Radiance class will fit in Baltimore. Radiance class ships have continually sailed under the bridge in Tampa and that bridge may be just a tad lower than the Key Bridge in Baltimore.

Would love to sea any Radiance class ship come to Baltimore.

Rick and Deirdra

Really? I thought the Radiance class is about the same size as the spirit class (Carnival Pride) which goes out of Baltimore. They only differ by 2000 gross tons and have the same number of passenger decks.

I've also read snippets around that it DOES fit under the bridges.

Not to say it won' fit but Gross Tons: Gross tonnage (often abbreviated as GT, G.T. or gt) is a nonlinear measure of a ship's overall internal volume.

Richard Fain, also a top exec at RCI, has been quoted as saying Radiance class will fit in Baltimore. Radiance class ships have continually sailed under the bridge in Tampa and that bridge may be just a tad lower than the Key Bridge in Baltimore.

Would love to sea any Radiance class ship come to Baltimore.

Rick and Deirdra

We have also been told multiple times at Captains Corners that a Radiance class would fit. When we relocated the Vision to Tampa from Fll we were told that the Sunshine Skyway is approx 4 feet lower (181 feet vs 185 feet for the Key Bridge)