Can you buy insurance for this reason...help

lbendick

We are sailing in May. Final payment is 3/6. My grandmother is on hospice. She is currently ok at this time, they have just stopped chemo treatment as it was not working. What we want to be covered for is if something was to happen while we were away or the week we were leaving to cover our costs.

Thanks on advance.

Please accept my condolences. I just went through this with losing both my parents within 36 hours of each other.

I don't think you will be able to purchase insurance for this kind of coverage. With your grandmother in hospice and only being provided with comfort care, her passing is no longer considered to be an unforeseen event.

My parents passed before we had to make a hard decision about cancelling. However, we would have probably gone anyway. I know for a fact that they would have been extremely disappointed if we held off on our plans because of them. They were very proud people and enjoyed travel themselves.

People enter hospice when their life expectancy is six months or less. This is a known risk. It would be like calling your insurance agent while your house was on fire and trying to purchase a fire insurance policy.

I don't know any company that will cover this.

You just have to decide if you want to cancel while you can get a refund, and book for a later date, or if you would be o.k. with going.

You do have options. CSA Freestyle does not apply Pre-Existing conditions exclusions to non-traveling family members. Please call a knowledgeable broker to explain your needs and make sure you purchase an appropriate policy. I suggest Steve and Trip Insurance Store. This is one case where you want a discussion before you purchase, do not do this online.