Floridian in Alaska - glove recommendations?

tampadonna

Yes I am a Floridian, and no I don't have a lot of cold weather gear. Everyone says we need hat and gloves (especially for the ship days at the glaciers, but what does that mean? Can anyone provide a recommendation. I think I read a suggestion for glove liners. But will that be enough? I have some knit gloves but not sure if that will work. DH's hands and feet get cold easily. Any recommendations for these warm weather cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

I’m on my second pair of these and have used them for several years. They’re light weight and work well with phones or camera equipment. Perfect for glacier days without being bulky. I’ve used liners before but they don’t provide the insulation these do.

https://www.amazon.com/Head-Multi-Sport-Running-Gloves-SENSATEC/dp/B01LX7ZB43/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492055347&sr=8-5&keywords=head+digital+touch+running+gloves

I’m on my second pair of these and have used them for several years. They’re light weight and work well with phones or camera equipment. Perfect for glacier days without being bulky. I’ve used liners before but they don’t provide the insulation these do.

https://www.amazon.com/Head-Multi-Sport-Running-Gloves-SENSATEC/dp/B01LX7ZB43/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492055347&sr=8-5&keywords=head+digital+touch+running+gloves

These look great, These are only xs, how do I know if they fit - I'm a female about 109 lbs and 5'1 - I would think I need a small - sorry I know my wt and ht may not matter - did you get an xs or small? Thanks for the help - so these gloves kept you warm too?

I always bring ear protection as opposed to a scarf. It is a piece of fleece material that covers both ears. Sorry - don't have a picture. I like these better than ear muffs.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Fur-Double-Layer-Chelonia-Headband/dp/B003ST724M/ref=pd_sim_468_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003ST724M&pd_rd_r=VHCD4F0JTF4M3CAP7RZ7&pd_rd_w=jzA8U&pd_rd_wg=Y5GQH&psc=1&refRID=VHCD4F0JTF4M3CAP7RZ7

These look great, These are only xs, how do I know if they fit - I'm a female about 109 lbs and 5'1 - I would think I need a small - sorry I know my wt and ht may not matter - did you get an xs or small? Thanks for the help - so these gloves kept you warm too?

This link was just an example although there are other sizes by just searching the name without the size.

I am also a Floridian traveling to Alaska for the first time, and am extremely interested in these gloves. Although I am a bit larger than the OP, I have very small hands. I was trying to research sizing and have not come to a conclusion yet. I think I need a women's small, which may be smaller than a unisex XS, but not 100% sure.

I think this link is to a similar pair by Head in Women's sizes. https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Digital-Sport-Running-Glove/dp/B01M25YRIK/ref=pd_sim_193_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M25YRIK&pd_rd_r=7KRTP36MFT4J01QPRP4X&pd_rd_w=jQPYL&pd_rd_wg=r7dy0&psc=1&refRID=7KRTP36MFT4J01QPRP4X

You've never needed gloves in Florida in winter? We've experienced below-freezing temps on vacation in Orlando, and average Tampa winter lows of 50-55F compare quite realistically with a cool Alaskan summer day (e.g. near a glacier). If simple knit gloves work for you at home, they'll still work in AK unless you're cruising very early or late in the season when you might expect real feels closer to freezing between wind chill and glacier proximity.

The small stretch gloves are fine. Just be sure to put them in the pockets of your jacket when you pack so you will have them whenever you put on the jacket - no hunting around needed. Floridians do need gloves.

I live in Minnesota and mostly all I wear are the knit, stretch gloves. I picked up several pairs at Walmart a couple of weeks ago...25 cents for a 2 pack! I also splurged and bought a pair that work with the touch screen on my iPhone...they were 50 cents!

I take something like these - fishing gloves made from neoprene (wet suit material). Waterproof but flexible enough to operate a camera or binoculars. Got them for Fall fishing on Lake of the Woods in MN/Ontario but perfect on cruise ship deck in Alaska when raining. Wet knit gloves are COLD! :eek:

I've lived in Florida all my life, and definitely have found a need for gloves! The last few winters been have been mild, but we have had some doozies in the past (I'm talking about mornings where I had to scrape the ice off my windshield before I could drive to work). I have some cashmere-lined leather gloves that are wonderful. They are tight fitting, and good for driving and other general use. I brought them with me on a trip up to New England last fall, and they came in handy. I bought them so long ago, that I don't have the purchase information anymore, but I would recommend something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL, this thread made me chuckle. I moved to Florida from Michigan in 1982 and have never used gloved here or in Alaska.

I do like to have a nice fleece jacket with a hood and deep pockets though - over plenty of layers. I need to be able to use the camera and binoculars and then I just tuck my hands back in my pockets....

Lots of good suggestions here though and if your first stop is Ketchikan the stores have great selections at reasonable prices :D

I ordered a pair in Women's Size S from Amazon and just received them. They are a bit too big for me, but will work. Since I have very small hands, it is difficult to find adult-sized gloves that fit. I am a livelong Floridian and wear gloves regularly in the winter, especially when walking. These gloves have the bonus of allowing me to use my phone, whereas the one pair that I own that fits does not.

I'm from Florida too. The cheap knitted, 2 pair for one price from Walmart or Walgreens are perfect. I wore a knitted hat or pulled up my jacket hood. I would also recommend waterproof spray on your shoes if in the rainy season. We go again in 31 days!:hearteyes:

We are from Naples, FL. ...44 year Florida residents. Sounds like our cruise on May 14 will require hats and gloves, correct? The warmest hat I have is made of straw....and my gloves are for the garden....Yikes! Glad I stumbled on this thread.

North Fort Myers, FL Girl here going to Alaska May26 cruising on May 31st. Love reading all the comments on what to pack. I always overpack I'd rather have what I need if I need it. So excited for this Alaska Cruise we have talked about it for years. Dog Sledding is on our List of things to do.

You shouldn't need any individual item that is Eskimo heavy during the cruise season but you will appreciate covering any exposed skin during windy days, early in the morning, or on the deck of a ship moving through glaciers. I didn't have gloves or a stocking cap last trip but I will on this one. I didn't freeze to death but there were a times were I couldn't be on the open decks very long.

We're from Kansas and I'll be taking a water repellent wind breaker, a fleece jacket, stocking cap, gloves, and scarf. I don't expect to use them very much each day but there will be times I will be glad I have time. I'm also packing a few disposable rain ponchos in case of soaking rains.

Wear layers and carry a small backpack or sling pack to shed everything into.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all your input. We have purchased some gloves that will work with phones/cameras - and a neighbor had stocking caps (toucks) from his company that he gave us (YEAH!) We have layers planned and are pulling things to get it all together right now. We leave in a week and are super excited. Thanks for the input all.