Cruise Air booking Info Needed

rhcustoms

Hello to all

Just booked a cruise on Carnival out of Miami for 11/24/18, this will be our first cruise that we need to fly into the port. First thing I noticed was I could not check out or book airline tickets this far out, so how far out do airlines start booking flights, I've been told not to book to early because the price will be very high, but I don't want to wait to long as we will be flying the day after Thanksgiving and there might be no available seats. We have never flown over a holiday and I do not want to chance missing the ship, would it be better to fly on Thanksgiving, 2 days before the cruise to be safe, I really don't care as much coming back, we can spend an extra day or so if we got bumped by the airlines.

Thanks for any Information

RH

Thanksgiving day is somewhat less crowded in the airports than the days surrounding - by then people are pretty much where they want to be for the holiday. Since demand is lower on that day, air fares generally tend to be lower than on previous or following day. Just a factor to consider. I would recommend booking air as soon as you find a fare you are comfortable paying. There will be no "sales" during that time frame.

Whichever day you fly, do book your hotel as soon as you are committed to air. That weekend also has a high demand for hotels and a finite number of rooms available.

If you do fly in on Thanksgiving Day be sure to book a full service hotel and double check to see if the restaurant is open. We did this several years ago and booked a hotel never dreaming that every nearby restaurants would be closed in the evening.

Flying on Friday will be a better plan. By monitoring fares you could notice that fares could be lower on both Thursday and Friday. There's no way to predict fares now but I wouldn't wait for Southwest. From our home airport Southwest fares have been par or above the big three. Just a thought.....

Thanks for the info, I was worried November bad weather delays, but we are leaving from Palm Springs, transfer in most likely in Dallas, to Miami, not to much chance of snow.

Ooops. Common falacy. My weather is good. Destination weather is good. Connection city likely to be good.

However, what if the airplane you are supposed to fly in on comes from Chicago. Or New York. Or wherever. Doesn't matter if YOU have good weather, what about where the aircraft and crew come from. If the plane can't get from XYZ to Dallas, who cares if it's bright and sunny at PSP, DFW or MIA.

Thanksgiving day is somewhat less crowded in the airports than the days surrounding - by then people are pretty much where they want to be for the holiday. Since demand is lower on that day, air fares generally tend to be lower than on previous or following day. Just a factor to consider. I would recommend booking air as soon as you find a fare you are comfortable paying. There will be no "sales" during that time frame.

Whichever day you fly, do book your hotel as soon as you are committed to air. That weekend also has a high demand for hotels and a finite number of rooms available.

I agree. Except to add that I'd book hotels now and for as many nights as you will need maximum

Book the refundable rate and adjust if need be

Just call the reservation line to adjust the nights

Also another trick I use is since I only book refundable hotels...If I find a better price I just make a new booking and cancel the old one

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, will mark the calendar for 330 day out and start checking then.

And check between midnight and 6am for flash sales

They say Tuesday's and Wednesday's are the time for this but I wouldn't swear by it

We booked a flight at 10 pm one night and then something told me to check again just before dawn. It was $250 cheaper r/t

Btw you always have at least 24 hours from initial booking to cancel your flight regardless of your fare rate

We called the airline and the very pleasant rep quickly cancelled the flight and issued a refund, which we saw online immediately, she also said...." book your new flight...now and don't wait" not 5 minutes later we were rebooked via online reservation system and $250 richer.

Thanks to all, not doing this before it's great to get this information, because if each stage of the trip doesn't go right the least that happens is your inconvenienced, missing a meal or sleeping at the airport, at the worst you miss the Boat.

One other question, I was looking for hotels but it seem the reservation calendar only goes out 12 months, anyone know if I call can they book farther out?

Thanks to all, not doing this before it's great to get this information, because if each stage of the trip doesn't go right the least that happens is your inconvenienced, missing a meal or sleeping at the airport, at the worst you miss the Boat.

One other question, I was looking for hotels but it seem the reservation calendar only goes out 12 months, anyone know if I call can they book farther out?

Idk but I really don't think you need to book a room more than 12 months out

However if you do online research for hotel location/amenities/prices now you will know what you want when time comes to book

Also you can always book directly with the hotel if you want so no need to really go thru an online booking agency

Look for what you want now and book when you can

Don't overthink this because you will find what you want.

Thanks for the info, I was worried November bad weather delays, but we are leaving from Palm Springs, transfer in most likely in Dallas, to Miami, not to much chance of snow.

Correct, not much chance of snow in Palm Springs. But what if your aircraft started out the day before in Boston and they had snow there, that caused a tremendous delay? And your crew came in from Charlotte, where the remnants of a hurricane wreaked havoc on the entire day's departures? That beautiful sunny say in Palm Springs just experienced a weather delay. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Weather anywhere in the country can cause flight delays/cancellations anywhere else in the country.

Sounds exhausting. Does this happen on a regular basis?

Btw you always have at least 24 hours from initial booking to cancel your flight regardless of your fare rate

This just isn't true.

The assumption by the public that there will always be "sales" is amazing. A "sale" occurs when there is either insufficient demand for specific flights OR when an airline is engaging in aggressive pricing in a competitive market to increase share. Neither of those conditions is in play for travel during holiday periods. Also, there is a misconception that a "sale" will include all routes and dates of travel. Nope. You never will know if your travel dates and cities might in an announced "sale".

They say Tuesday's and Wednesday's are the time for this but I wouldn't swear by it
You left out the part about the full moon. Don't swear by it - it's the stuff that lazy travel writer fill articles with. OTOH, if you TRAVEL on those days, pricing is often better because of lesser demand. Just as Mondays and Fridays are heavier demand days of the week due to business travel.

We booked a flight at 10 pm one night and then something told me to check again just before dawn. It was $250 cheaper r/t
That was, in simple terms, an amazing longshot. Don't buy any lottery tickets, you've used up you lifetime supply of luck.

As mentioned, that is simply incorrect. Every airline has their own policy, as does every fare basis for tickets. Unless you read the specific airline rules, you are making a big assumption.

Sounds exhausting. Does this happen on a regular basis?

This just isn't true.

It was true in my case

Bought the tix around 10/11pm. Found the flash sale at around 6am

Made a call

Spoke to a human

She cancelled the tix

She refunded the tix

Booked same flight same seat with 10 minutes at a $250 savings

So it does happen

The posters here can debate with me all they want but I really dont have an issue with pressing a button on my iPad to check prices

Nor do I have a problem making a phone call

Nor do I have a problem watching prices and knowing when to buy

Nor do I have a problem booking a hotel directly versus through an online travel company

Next trip.....round trip Italy...high season...direct flight...under $750....major airline ...

The posters here like to think of themselves as savvy travelers...and that's great

But the best of those savvy travelers know how to get the best prices

Of course there will always be those who like to not concern themselves about prices but whatever....

And I've also been able to recognize that some people just don't like to be let into these little cost saving hints and tactics...again that fine by me....but I've come to realize that those people are only acting that way because they know they look a bit foolish when it's obvious they are not as savvy with prices and travel as they should be...or think they are anyway

Enjoy your search for airfare and pay whatever you want. Makes zero difference to me and I'm sorry I offered any cost savings hints at all.

All that matters is that I'm aware of them anyway. Lol

Edited by Crusin6

You would be surprised how many purchases that are technically non refundable are in fact refundable within a certain timeframe

But feel free to believe that isn't true

It's your dime not mine

Whatever...

Do what you want when you want and pay what you want and disparage good advice

Fwiw...I bet you will take this advice anyway...but never let it be told you took advice and couldn't figure it out yourself. Lol

Do what you want when you want and pay what you want and disparage good advice

If there was any good advice, I wouldn't disparage it. Your advice is flat out wrong. As Twickenham (IIRC) put in his signature "The plural of anecdote is not data".

Fwiw...I bet you will take this advice anyway

Nope. Because it is old wives tale crossed with urban legend.

...but never let it be told you took advice and couldn't figure it out yourself.
I can figure out plenty about getting the best air pricing, routings and equipment. Do you know what a YQ fee is, and how it affects your travel pricing? You hit a lucky jackpot which makes you an expert. Mix that with half-baked "truths" from some travel columns and voila -- the perfect way to always get the best prices.

But then, what is that saying about wrestling with a pig.

You hit a lucky jackpot which makes you an expert. Mix that with half-baked "truths" from some travel columns and voila -- the perfect way to always get the best prices.

Next we will be hearing that you should always book flights exactly X days ahead because a "study" showed that was when, on average, the lowest fare was available. And we'll get to have THAT explanation all over again, LOL. :')

Do you know what a YQ fee is, and how it affects your travel pricing?

Yes, and have visited many interesting places in the world, when the airline failed to add the YQ fee.

Don't waste your time, just eat the bacon?