More discrimination

Yesterday put a hold on a princess cruise, on Sea.

Because I was working I had to use an agent.

No worries, I gave detailed instructions. I asked if she could try and snag an accessible cabin, because two years out I have no idea if I'll be back in a wheelchair or still out.

The agent contacted me and said Sea has no disabled balcony cabins so she'd put a hold on a standard balcony and quoted me a price (turns out it was a GREAT price).

So when I got time I jumped on the Princess page to see if she had got me a deal or not (as I said, she has), but while checking that clicked I wanted an accessible balcony. The site came up with a message that as there weren't any they'd upgrade me to an accessible mini at balcony price.

Sounds great, but when I try to confirm it gives a message that based on my records I'm not eligible and the price jumps to mini suite price (near on $10,000 difference) so I give the agent a ring. That offer is only good for Americans.

Now it's not a big deal, but it stinks. They have no accessible balcony cabins on the ship, so why is there one deal for Americans but not for Australians, Yet Again.

That is a shame. I can imagination your disappointment.

You will find something better will come up.

I've booked the Balcony, and can probably make it work, I can cancel up to next December if I don't think I can get by, just really disappointed that they treat us Australians like 2nd class citizens, and hey $10,000 more than an American would pay, all because they don't have any accessible balcony cabins on the ship (I don't mean none available, they don't exist on Sea at all).

How annoying! I'm an American married to a Brit living on the continent. We have addresses in several countries and accounts in various currencies and I'm regularly shocked at the deals available on US bookings vs. those in the UK or EU. Fortunately, we're able to take advantage of those deals, but it doesn't seem right.

P.S. I know you're not in Europe, but the same sentiment applies.

Given that the only ships that don't have accessible balcony cabins are the Sun Class ships, and they are based in Australia, it definitely stinks.

Double post, was editing but posted twice some how

Given that the only ships that don't have accessible balcony cabins are the Sun Class ships, and they are based in Australia, it definitely stinks.

That's my big gripe, they are based here, yet Americans get preferential treatment.

Although as you say you have booked a balcony at a good price, I would still make a few pertinent comments on the Princess FB page, just to make a point. I agree the differential pricing stinks; though there are some TAs in the US who will book non-US cruisers and it might be worth chasing them up to see.

IMO it's the principle of the thing when bookings are done online; where you live should make no difference on your final cost. Yet another example of Australia being treated as second class.

Although as you say you have booked a balcony at a good price, I would still make a few pertinent comments on the Princess FB page, just to make a point. I agree the differential pricing stinks; though there are some TAs in the US who will book non-US cruisers and it might be worth chasing them up to see.

IMO it's the principle of the thing when bookings are done online; where you live should make no difference on your final cost. Yet another example of Australia being treated as second class.

I've posted there.

Well response so far

We sincerely apologize for your frustration. We have different promotions, offers, and pricing for all regions inside and outside of the U.S. We will pass along your feedback to our Customer Liaison Department. One of our team members will contact your Travel Agent to address your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Ive pointed out that it's not mentioned anywhere on the offer that it's US only and provided them screenshots.

Seems mute point anyway as all Accessible Minis, I think there's only one, look sold.

Ive pointed out that it's not mentioned anywhere on the offer that it's US only and provided them screenshots.

Seems mute point anyway as all Accessible Minis, I think there's only one, look sold.

Maybe on that cruise, but if you squeak loudly enough they may change the policy for our region which will be helpful for future cruises.

It is interesting to read Princess T&Cs as applied to other countries. Very generous conditions in Europe and USA regarding deposit % of cruise cost, and cancellation days prior to cruising. Once again discrimination toward Australian cruisers as their conditions are quiet harsh when compared.

We can cancel for full refund on Princess cruises I think 90 days out.

Yes, booking direct on Princess, like we do as well. Through an agent like Mr Gut has, I bet the agent would charge a cancellation fee, as they do.:evilsmile:

That is an improvement, as we used to loose our deposits on some cruise lines. I stopped booking a long time ahead because of that, and when they started changing/cancelling cruises. Like most Aussies, I always had land content connected to overseas cruises and discount airfares, so I could no longer take the risk.

$10,000 difference in balcony v mini suite? Is that for one or two pax? Must be a big trip old son, tell us more.:eek:

That is an improvement, as we used to loose our deposits on some cruise lines. I stopped booking a long time ahead because of that, and when they started changing/cancelling cruises. Like most Aussies, I always had land content connected to overseas cruises and discount airfares, so I could no longer take the risk.

With P&O UK, deposit is 10% non refundable. As you say with overseas cruises, there is land content, airfares etc, so one has little choice but to book a year ahead to secure it all.:evilsmile: Like I have to do for next year, 5 weeks on Adonia B2B, and 3 weeks travelling in UK, doing various things.

If the cruise is over 30 days cancellation for a deposit refund is 181 days. In the USA it is 109 days.

Has anyone asked why?

I personally think they have shot themselves in the foot, as the only thing I now book ahead for overseas travel is flights. I have plan A, B and C for last minute cruise specials and pay less in the end, as a result. I have no trouble getting land content, as I travel off peak, now that I don't travel in school holidays.

Maybe on that cruise, but if you squeak loudly enough they may change the policy for our region which will be helpful for future cruises.

That's what I'm hoping.

I've long thought that the situation with accessible cabins is wrong, for example if you need one you can't get the lower price that goes with a guarantee, ie generally a guarantee you pay the lowest rate, but most accessible cabins are in higher cost locations, ie one cruise we looked at a guarantee was about $4000 but the one accessible balconies were mid ship, great for me, but about $1200 more.

They snuck in a change a year or so ago. It's now:

Sailings 5 nights and less

60 nights or more

Full refund

59-45 nights

Deposit amount^*

44-29 nights

50% of Total Fare^

28-15 nights

75% of Total Fare^

14 nights or less

100% of Total Fare

Cruises between 6 to 29 nights (including World Cruise Segments)

181 nights or more

Full refund

180-75 nights

Deposit amount^*

74-43 nights

25% of Total Fare^

42-15 nights

50% of Total Fare^

14 nights or less

100% of Total Fare

Cruises 30 nights or more (incl. Full World cruise and World Cruise segments)

181 nights or more

Full refund

180-90 nights

Deposit amount^*

89-64 nights

50% of Total Fare^

63-43 nights

75% of Total Fare^

42 nights or less

100% of Total Fare

And FCDs are now treated as money so you lose it if you cancel once the cancellation penalties start.