Gold Coast cruise ship terminal, yes or no?

Hey guys I am a definate YES would love to see a cruise ship terminal on the Gold Coast! To me its a no brainer, the GC being one of the most exciting tourist destinations in Australia, with a stunning skyscraper background on beautiful beaches with beautiful weather, how exciting and beautiful would it be to dock on the GC.

The Mayor is currently fighting the state and federal government to try his version of an offshore terminal off the ground, but ill post below a facebook site for a guy whos looked into an offshore terminal for years and I believe has the right design. The Mayors version is way too simplistic.

What do you people think? In favour?

https://www.facebook.com/gcoffshoreterminal/

Hey guys I am a definate YES would love to see a cruise ship terminal on the Gold Coast! To me its a no brainer, the GC being one of the most exciting tourist destinations in Australia, with a stunning skyscraper background on beautiful beaches with beautiful weather, how exciting and beautiful would it be to dock on the GC.

The Mayor is currently fighting the state and federal government to try his version of an offshore terminal off the ground, but ill post below a facebook site for a guy whos looked into an offshore terminal for years and I believe has the right design. The Mayors version is way too simplistic.

The big question is would it raise enough money to pay for it.

I guess I'm not one of those people who finds skyscrapers stunning.

I vote NO.

I guess I'm not one of those people who finds skyscrapers stunning.

I vote NO.

well I guess you would be the minority OzKiwi, the Gold Coast skylines is one of the most iconic and photographed skylines in Australia. I love taking photographs of it from Burleigh or flying over it. I guess New York would be a no for you too, it has sky scrapers.

I'm a NO.

Definitely should be Brisbane that way more central to everything on offer [emoji4]

And no i dont live in Brisbane [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

The current Qld Premier has the same view BUT I have the view that both Brisbane and the GC can work alongside each other as successful ports. Look at Mediterranean cruises, ports are not that far apart and boats cruise overnight then stop at ports each day. Also Sydney and Newcastle are not far apart and there are cruises that stop at both ports. Any package of Australia would be mad not to include GC if you were doing the east coast of Australia. Brisbane is just another city, the GC is beaches, sun and fun.

well I guess you would be the minority OzKiwi, the Gold Coast skylines is one of the most iconic and photographed skylines in Australia. I love taking photographs of it from Burleigh or flying over it. I guess New York would be a no for you too, it has sky scrapers.

It may be iconic but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it. I prefer beach resorts like Port Douglas where the beaches are only overhung by trees.

I guess I'll find out about New York next year, but there are plenty of other things that are attractive about New York than its skyscrapers.

No.

My thoughts on the matter are mostly unprintable. This idea really needs to die the death.

Where else in the world do you see offshore terminals into unprotected open ocean? Not just any ocean, but one that is subject to frequent extreme storm conditions. The Coast is overdue a major cyclone, what do we think would happen to a 1km structure that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean when a cyclone hits?

The geography and geology of the Gold Coast does not lend itself to any kind of port. The things that make the Gold Coast what it is are the sand and the beaches. If you put a large structure offshore it will stand in the way of the natural flow of sand north along the coast. This obviously involves silting around the port, but is also likely to have effects further along the coast.

If the Gold Coast Council is willing to spend millions of ratepayer dollars on this, then I can say how happy I am at no longer being a Gold Coast ratepayer. Just so long as they don't expect to get their hands on state money for this idiocy.

No.

My thoughts on the matter are mostly unprintable. This idea really needs to die the death.

Where else in the world do you see offshore terminals into unprotected open ocean? Not just any ocean, but one that is subject to frequent extreme storm conditions. The Coast is overdue a major cyclone, what do we think would happen to a 1km structure that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean when a cyclone hits?

The geography and geology of the Gold Coast does not lend itself to any kind of port. The things that make the Gold Coast what it is are the sand and the beaches. If you put a large structure offshore it will stand in the way of the natural flow of sand north along the coast. This obviously involves silting around the port, but is also likely to have effects further along the coast.

If the Gold Coast Council is willing to spend millions of ratepayer dollars on this, then I can say how happy I am at no longer being a Gold Coast ratepayer. Just so long as they don't expect to get their hands on state money for this idiocy.

I think if you took the view that natural disasters could destroy something nothing would ever be built, thats just a risk for any structure that a natural disaster may damage or ruin it. The fact that there is a $2 billion dollar cruise ship industry continually bypassing the largest tourist spot in Australia, who's business owners would love the business, is crazy to me....

It has been suggested by Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate that there is a precedence set for such an offshore terminal in Costa Maya, Mexico, which berths 139 cruise ships a year, ill reference the article below........... I do believe the GC may have more active surf and the model proposed on the offshore GC terminal facebook page I referenced in my original post would be much better in providing protection for ships than the Costa Mayer design..... Do a google image search on Costa Maya cruise ship terminal Mexico.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/gold-coast-to-consider-three-locations-for-cruise-ship-terminal-20160607-gpdtbh.html

To me its a no brainer, the GC being one of the most exciting tourist destinations in Australia, with a stunning skyscraper background on beautiful beaches with beautiful weather, how exciting and beautiful would it be to dock on the GC.

I assume numerous surveys have been done asking cruiseship passengers their thoughts.

Both those from Australia and overseas.

I'd be keen to see the questions and responses.

Personally, I really enjoy my cruise visits to Brisbane, but I have little interest in the GC.

I think before a cruise terminal is built on the Gold Coast, and the new Brisbane terminal will assist in locating cruise passengers to the GC, the Queensland Government should look at improving the facilities in cairns for the larger ships. The tendering at Yorkeys Knob is an absolute joke.

As long as there is a viable / suitable rail link from the Brisbane cruise terminal then the GC will be adequately serviced from there. Currently on big ships because they have to berth at the grain terminal which has no public transport the only way of getting to the GC is via an expensive ships excursion

The proposed new terminal at Luggage Point (northside) is much closer to the airport. Both regional and Brisbane area cruisers should be happy with that location. I heard it was due for completion in 2019 (well maybe that's a bit optimistic :rolleyes:)

I think if you took the view that natural disasters could destroy something nothing would ever be built, thats just a risk for any structure that a natural disaster may damage or ruin it. The fact that there is a $2 billion dollar cruise ship industry continually bypassing the largest tourist spot in Australia, who's business owners would love the business, is crazy to me....

It has been suggested by Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate that there is a precedence set for such an offshore terminal in Costa Maya, Mexico, which berths 139 cruise ships a year, ill reference the article below........... I do believe the GC may have more active surf and the model proposed on the offshore GC terminal facebook page I referenced in my original post would be much better in providing protection for ships than the Costa Mayer design..... Do a google image search on Costa Maya cruise ship terminal Mexico.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/gold-coast-to-consider-three-locations-for-cruise-ship-terminal-20160607-gpdtbh.html

The Costa Maya Cruise Terminal looks to be around half the length of the proposed Gold Coast terminal, plus it is protected by a 40km+ collection of offshore reefs and islands called the Banco Cinchorro. The equivalent here would be to build an offshore cruise terminal in Hervey Bay. I would still maintain that there is no such structure in the world as the proposed Gold Coast Cruise Terminal for a very good reason.

The idea is still ridiculous. The fact is that you don't build houses in a flood zone even if you can, because the risks are too great. You don't build 1km structures into an unprotected part of the Pacific Ocean for obvious reasons. That's before we even get to the environmental concerns.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

The current Qld Premier has the same view BUT I have the view that both Brisbane and the GC can work alongside each other as successful ports. Look at Mediterranean cruises, ports are not that far apart and boats cruise overnight then stop at ports each day. Also Sydney and Newcastle are not far apart and there are cruises that stop at both ports. Any package of Australia would be mad not to include GC if you were doing the east coast of Australia. Brisbane is just another city, the GC is beaches, sun and fun.

It should be in Brisbane. QLD isn't the Mediterranean and we have far fewer visitors and ships here and it's very unlikely we will get to the same level of visitors. There really is no comparison.

I assume numerous surveys have been done asking cruiseship passengers their thoughts.

Personally, I really enjoy my cruise visits to Brisbane, but I have little interest in the GC.

Thanks for the laugh. I'd be keen to see the questions and responses from cruiseshiip passengers also.

I am currently drowning in public consultation responses to proposed developments of the Spit, which is the only public space, with Broadwater and Ocean frontage, on the northern part of the Gold Coast and the closest to Brisbane. Once this precious resource is lost it will be lost forever. It is unique public land available for everyone to enjoy.

Current proposals, however not the first by a long shot -

• High rise towers (current level three stories)
  • parkland "enhancement" ?
  • cruise terminal next to Marina Mirage, with connection across the beautiful Main Beach for ships to berth (Federal Government rejected Lord Mayor's current submission)
  • light rail through Main Beach to the Spit (4 proposals).

A big yes from me (not sure on the plan though). Gold Coast always looks better on the itinerary than Brisbane- and I live in Brisbane. I think there is room enough for terminals in Brisbane and GC. As seen with Royal Carribean this week, we don't have enough room now with the growing market

No No No. the proposal is for a mega pier which would necessitate transport options for the older cruisers. It would also desecrate a protected part of the Gold Coast. Only an hour from Brisbane, build it there,

As seen with Royal Carribean this week, we don't have enough room now with the growing market

That's just lobbying speak from RCL. There is enough room; they just want more facilities and ease to book. Hence why they already operated 4 ships out of Sydney and have now reduced to 3.

A lot of the time there is spare capacity and that would only increase with terminals at both Brisbane and the GC.

Why are passenger cruise ship surveys have to be done, the Gold Coast is hands down already the number one family friendly and fun tourist destination and cruise companys have already indicated they would stop there in a heart beat if it was built.

What you personally enjoy is neither here nor there, its the what the majority of people want to do and what people like, and people like the Gold Coast. World's best beaches, rainforest in the background, stunning skyline, river, theme parks, always beautiful weather, recent refurbishment of Pacific Square to world class shopping centre, the attractions suit a lot of people. What does the brisbane offer but for some bus tours to lookouts over the city that retirees may potter on and like? Brisbane is just another city, boring.

I think before a cruise terminal is built on the Gold Coast, and the new Brisbane terminal will assist in locating cruise passengers to the GC, the Queensland Government should look at improving the facilities in cairns for the larger ships. The tendering at Yorkeys Knob is an absolute joke.

As long as there is a viable / suitable rail link from the Brisbane cruise terminal then the GC will be adequately serviced from there. Currently on big ships because they have to berth at the grain terminal which has no public transport the only way of getting to the GC is via an expensive ships excursion

Id have to say no don't agree at all, theres no way people want to get on a train or bus and travel over an hour to get to the Gold Coast and what happens to people who want to check out both Brisbane and the Gold coast? Shouldn't they be given the option of stopping at both? The new RCI intineraries will include a 6 night Hobart cruise stopping at Newcastle, Wollongong and Hobart, meaning it will head north to Newcastle then south again past Sydney to Wollongong before heading to Hobart. How much does this tell you that close ports work and people want to see that variety of ports and stop in a variety of ports and I think the Gold Coast would be one of the most stunning ports in the world to stop at!!!

Re Cairns, it already has a port, the GC has none at all so a start on one is important straight away. I think international people would be scratching their head thinking why has a country got a huge tourist destination with an ocean next to it and a booming cruise industry with no stop there, its utter madness.