What is replacing the ships leaving Thomson?

Hi, we have always checked out Thomson Cruises and posted on here a number of times. Due to the age of the ships and lack of balcony cabins however, we have never booked with Thomson and preferred to stick to P&O and / or Celebrity.

We are looking ahead and have read that 2 of the older ships are leaving the fleet and are wondering if anyone knows what will be replacing them. We would be tempted to try the new Discovery ships that have come over from RCI, but we've noticed that these ships seem to do the Western Med and we would want the Eastern Med.

Thanks for any help :)

Hi, we have always checked out Thomson Cruises and posted on here a number of times. Due to the age of the ships and lack of balcony cabins however, we have never booked with Thomson and preferred to stick to P&O and / or Celebrity.

We are looking ahead and have read that 2 of the older ships are leaving the fleet and are wondering if anyone knows what will be replacing them. We would be tempted to try the new Discovery ships that have come over from RCI, but we've noticed that these ships seem to do the Western Med and we would want the Eastern Med.

Majesty and Spirit are being replaced by Discovery (ex Splendour of the Seas) and Discovery 2 (ex Legend of the Seas)

TUI Explorer (ex Celebrity Galaxy) is also joining the fleet in 2018.

We're ex P&O fans and having been on Discovery twice we much prefer the all round package to P&O. There is a good choice of balcony cabins as well.

Discovery 2 will be based in Corfu in Summer 2018 for eastern Med itineraries.

Details are available on the Thomson cruise website.

Thanks - that is really interesting. Think I am right in saying that they were former Celebrity ships ?

Don't laugh, but we are now thinking 2019 as it is our 25th anniversary and I want to see now what is available a year out to give us some idea of what is available and prices. I keep checking land holidays but something draws me back to a ship !

Our first cruise was OV2 from Crete - a stay and cruise. Loved every second of it

I suppose it seems years away to 2019, but planning is half the fun :-)

I think I am going to be spending more time over here now !

Splendour and Legend were both Royal Caribbean ships.

We went on Legend some years back and were very impressed with the ship, and Thomson have done a great job in updating the sister ship Splendour. I'm sure Discovery 2 will be as good

We've just had a big anniversary and celebrated it on Discovery in the Caribbean. We booked a Blessing on Board which was really professionally done. Just a thought for you...........!

Thanks - that is really interesting. Think I am right in saying that they were former Celebrity ships ?

Don't laugh, but we are now thinking 2019 as it is our 25th anniversary and I want to see now what is available a year out to give us some idea of what is available and prices. I keep checking land holidays but something draws me back to a ship !

Our first cruise was OV2 from Crete - a stay and cruise. Loved every second of it

I suppose it seems years away to 2019, but planning is half the fun :-)

I think I am going to be spending more time over here now !

It's not that strange to look ahead. We are waiting for the winter cruise's to be published as we want to go to the Caribbean November next year. We also need to plan and save.

Hi Presto, I booked my 65th birthday with Fred nearly two years ahead ;) And we got upgraded free to a suite :)

I doubt we'll get an upgrade as we go in the school holidays and I imagine that the ships are full well in advance. One day when retirement beckons we will enjoy just going when we see an offer :p

Does anyone know when Mein Shiff 1 joins Thomson? I ask because she has been in dry dock in Valetta Malta since 23rd April obviously having work done Which is strange as she'll have an overhaul when she joins the TUI (Thomson) fleet as Explorer

Does anyone know when Mein Shiff 1 joins Thomson? I ask because she has been in dry dock in Valetta Malta since 23rd April obviously having work done Which is strange as she'll have an overhaul when she joins the TUI (Thomson) fleet as Explorer

Probably scheduled engineering work. She is not due to sail as TUI Explorer until May 2018 so probably go in for refurbishment next March.

Hi Pensioncruiser hope you had a great cruise and lovely weather followed you on Marine Traffic and that's when I saw Mein Schiff 1 in dry dock? Did you walk round the harbour for a good look?

If you go to this link you'll find a live webcam of her now in Malta :D Not sure what time she sails out but you'll get a fab view of her from a number of web cams on this site below

http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/malta/malta/floriana/senglea-boatyard.html

Hi all yes it was another great cruise on Dream:ship: she may be old but we still love her. Nice bottle of real Champagne:champagne-toast: waiting for us on arrival in our favorite cabin. It was also good to catch up with some of the old crew, although we didn't like the new uniforms, just how Naval, our wine waiter from two years ago can remember our drinks and names is beyond me. Weather first day was very wet but after that it cleared up but we had a cold wind when out of the sun, food excellent but no BA parade. Entertainment all out favourites, 2Intence, Heart & Soul, Top Men and Keith on piano cant better that line up, unfortunately the show team had just arrived and were not up to the normal standard. Great day in Malta as it was May 1st and do they celebrate:cocktail: one massive street party. Did not go round to see Mein Schiff as it was the other side of the dock, that web cam now shows it in our birth!

Not so good:( noticed a lot of passengers doubled booked in cabins, major problem with IT onboard, started to check in about 1600 hrs, most of the flights had been delayed back in the UK then again in Malaga (going round a few times) I felt it was worked to keep us off the boat. Thomson have implemented a new check in system at Corfu which went live for our return flight but airport staff could not operate it:confused:

All in all another fantastic, but tiring, cruise.

Bring on September.

PS anyone flying from BHX be aware that they have closed the drop off/collect car area and its absolute chaos:eek:

According to the port timetables the Mein Schiff 1 leaves at about 10pm their time, so 9pm our time.

It is a great site to watch the ships and lots of the other camera points on this site show the ships at different points as they leave the harbour. Brilliant!

Presto2 thanks a lot for that fabulous webcam link for Valetta ����

If you scroll down from the main image you will find about another 5 webcams covering that area - you can watch the ship move from where she is berthed right out to sea.