Man overboard from Golden Princess

There has been some discussion about the incident on FB. I'm not sure how accurate it is though. Apparently he was last seen on the 1st May, when the ship was leaving Lautoka for a three day run back to Sydney. His absence was discovered the night before the ship docked in Sydney.

Story was on Ch9 news Sydney last night. Some things didn't match, typical of mainstream media, but seems he was not on-board when the ship reached Sydney from Noumea (that was what was reported).

My SIL & BIL boarded yesterday & they were contacted in the morning to advise delayed departure (from 4:30 to 6:30) - not sure if that was related to the missing passenger.

I wish the media would get it right. It is impossible for anyone to simply fall of a ship. There are three options when it comes to people going over the side. 1 - It is reckless disregard for rules and safety, 2 - it is murder or 3 - it is suicide. There are no other ways you can end up over the side no matter which way you put it the situation will always fit into the above three categories.

We were on this cruise and it's such a very sad story. The gentleman was traveling alone and the last confirmed sighting of the gentleman was in fact on the 1st May. We were informed of this by the Captain on the evening of the 3rd May when his luggage was not placed outside his cabin. I can only imagine his room steward thought he was in another cabin. A thorough search of the ship failed to locate him. Unfortunately we then had a medical emergency (someone in severe shock), I'm uncertain if the two were related, so we continued at full speed into Sydney. Our Captain also informed us that he joined the ship in Noumea, our first port of call. We had two messages from our Captain, around 10.00pm and 10.30pm, he was very professional and compassionate, he also said he would not comment on the situation further. So very sad and we have never had this happen on any of our cruises. My thoughts are with his family at this very sad time. Vicki.

We were also on this cruise. In fact, we were in the cabin next to this person. The cabin steward had been apparently trying to get into the cabin but the do not disturb sign was always on the door. We spoke to the cabin steward the morning of disembarkation and he was very very upset.

He tried everything was allowed to do, it was a very distressing time and we felt for the cabin steward who was going home that day. We were happy to leave the ship. It wasn't our best Princess cruise but this made it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow! I've always wondered how it might feel if this happened while I was onboard. Depressing for the entire ship for sure. And I'm sure the rumour mill just goes wild too.

I was on the same cruise and this was a first for me as well. I did notice the captain say that he was traveling alone and didn't want to be disturbed, whether this relates to the "do not disturb, relaxation in progress" or he actually mentioned that he didn't want to be disturbed? I don't know. Either way, our cabin steward checked under both of our beds the morning after while I was asleep and no doubt did the same ship wide. Poor guy

We were also on this cruise. In fact, we were in the cabin next to this person. The cabin steward had been apparently trying to get into the cabin but the do not disturb sign was always on the door. We spoke to the cabin steward the morning of disembarkation and he was very very upset.

He tried everything was allowed to do, it was a very distressing time and we felt for the cabin steward who was going home that day. We were happy to leave the ship. It wasn't our best Princess cruise but this made it worse.

One would have thought the steward would have alerted his/her Hotel Supervisor and with ship's security officer, done a forcible entry even. Should be some protocols there for such incidents...'concern for welfare.'

One would have thought the steward would have alerted his/her Hotel Supervisor and with ship's security officer, done a forcible entry even. Should be some protocols there for such incidents...'concern for welfare.'

The cabin steward has access for cleaning so the room should be accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cabin steward has access for cleaning so the room should be accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a guest has the no disturbing sign out, they shouldn't enter though. perhaps a phone call to the room would have been more appropriate if there was concern.

If a guest has the no disturbing sign out, they shouldn't enter though. perhaps a phone call to the room would have been more appropriate if there was concern.

Doesn't help though if the passenger doesn't answer, as in this case.

If they don't answer, then entering the room would have been appropriate. Most likely too late in this case though.

It'd still open them to complaints e.g. some may have been in the bathroom/shower and not heard. Or some may have not want to have been disturbed, hence the sign, and deliberately not answered the call...

I once asked a steward on Princess about how long they take before entering a room with a supervisor if the sign is on the door continuously. I can't remember exactly but it was over 24 hours might have been 48 hours, then they check.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bet a lot would complain of they started ringing when there was no answer though.

It'd still open them to complaints e.g. some may have been in the bathroom/shower and not heard. Or some may have not want to have been disturbed, hence the sign, and deliberately not answered the call...

Which is why you have security come and do it with the room steward as a Security/Safety issue.

Bet a lot would complain of they started ringing when there was no answer though.

people complain about all sorts of things but a do not disturb sign for more than 24 hours is suss and may become a security/health and safety issue.

On our 2013 NZ cruise on Radiance, the people in the room next door to our travelling companions refused to let the steward enter the room. Whether they were in the room or not, the DND card was always on the door.

They would answer the door, but not allow the steward to enter. He was bemused by all this, & told our friends he had never seen this before.

Apparently after a few days, security visited and insisted they be allowed to enter the room. Seems there was no problem, they just wanted their privacy, and didn't want the steward servicing the room. It was an inside cabin. When it was explained that they must give access for cleaning etc, the lady insisted on doing all the cleaning herself, only allowing fresh sheets, towels etc to be provided, and putting the used stuff outside the door.

I hope they tipped well :)

In this instance the room steward did report it to his supervisor. Not sure of the outcome though. I did feel so sorry for the room steward he was extremely distressed and also as it was his last cruise before going home.

We also had someone travelling alone close by to us also who kept his do not disturb sign on the door also most of the time, but also kept the door slightly ajar. Bit of a worry actually and the steward was also concerned but all was ok.[emoji848][emoji848]