Just back from Amasonata Rhine River cruise with 4 days post-cruise in Switzerland.

Shepsue

• 2 weeks later...

I so appreciate you offering to answer questions! Here goes......

What was the normal dress for dinner?

Did you use the laundry service? Pricey?

How active would you say the "active" level excursions were?

We are doing pre cruise in Zurich/Lucerne. Did you find that you needed Swiss Francs or were Euros accepted?

Your answers may trigger more questions.....

Dinner dress was very casual, men wore khaki's and similar slacks. I did see a few blazers and sport coats during the Captain's Dinner, but that was the exception, not the rule. Women wore everything from slacks to dresses. Overall, a very comfortable, casual environment.

I did use the laundry service for underwear, tee-shirts and socks. My wife did not use it at all. I found the pricing to be reasonable for the prompt efficient service. As I remember it, the pricing was less than for similar services provided by Celebrity on ocean cruises. Two things of note; one) the laundry came back the same day and two) my tee-shirts came back on hangers. I thought that was a nice touch!!

As to the activity levels on excursions, my wife and I are both 58 and in reasonable shape, at least for walking purposes. I never found the pace to be grueling in any way. The only differences between the more gentle tours and the more active ones is that since you covered the same sights, only quicker, the more active tours, left you with more free time at the end to explore.

We did use Swiss Francs in Switzerland. I have heard anecdotally, that some places will accept Euros, but I do not know from personal experience.

Hope this helps. I'll be glad to provide any clarifications or answers to any other questions.

Shep

Edited by Shepsue
forgot to answer a question

I know this is subjective, but what was your favorite port/excursion?

Also, how was the weather (especially at night)? I heard that especially in Switzerland, it gets pretty cold, even this time of year. Did you need a heavy jacket?

Thanks!

Yes, ports are quite subjective. Of the "bigger towns" that we visited, Lucerne was far and away the most breathtaking while Zurich was very nice, but more of a typical busy city. I would go back to Lucerne in a heartbeat. Of the small villages, the two French villages, Strasbourg and Riquewehr, stole my heart. Both villages are picturesque in that special wood timber, Hansel and Gretel kind of way. The cathedral in Strasbourg is gorgeous.

The weather was problematic. It was cloudy and overcast most of the first half of the cruise. We spent the morning inside, while we were passing the castles on the Rhine. It was that nasty. I still got some amazing photos though. I would be prepared to layer should you encounter chilly weather. Hopefully by the time that you cruise, the bad stretch of weather will be past and you can enjoy the sun!!

Thank you for the insight and information. Other than the normal be aware of your surroundings, do you have any advise about safety concerns? I may have read too much....some sites/reviews make it sound like pickpockets are rampant, especially in Amsterdam.

Looking forward to this trip a great deal. I'm the planner so just trying to gather as much information as I can.

I go over having read the same warnings and being prepared to tell myself "stay on guard, stay on guard." The only place I actively saw pickpockets was in Strasbourg, right outside of the cathedral. They were dressed as gypsy types, usually with a baby in their arms. A stern NO as they approached would make them withdraw and look for an easier mark. Our guide made sure that we knew that they were part of an organized pack of beggars.

That said, we walked around with very little cash, left the expensive jewelry at home limiting our exposure if we were pickpocketed. Other than what I mentioned above, I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. Hope this helps!