Spending money during cruise

mariamva2

What is the best option for spending money when off the ship? We are sailing Barcelona to Monte Carlo and know that we would like to have drinks/lunches at some of the ports when we are off the ship. Prepaid credit card (3% foreign transaction fee); cash; Travelers checks (do they even have these anymore? LOL)......

Thank you for your replies..

Use the cards where possible. I usually get some cash at an ATM in case the place I want to go doesn't take cards. If it's Euros or Pounds we save the leftovers for the next trip, if it's some odd currency, spend or donate it at the airport.

I always find it interesting that even in the markets, they'll tell you cash only, until you're ready to leave, and then a card machine magically appears.

Nobody takes travelers checks any more.

Of your three options, cash is the only good one. Consider getting a regular (not prepaid) credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Agree it is worthwhile sourcing card/s which do not have the 3% ftf. I use Citi debit and 28degrees CC and almost get the XE rate of exchange. The Citi to withdraw cash and the 28deg for CC use. Have saved paying the bank the 3% every O/S trip ... well worth it.

A Visa/MasterCard credit card is safest and most vendors take them. Just make sure you won't be slugged for overseas transaction fees. Cash is convenient for small purchases. Amex is not widely accepted in Europe and travellers cheques are almost obsolete.

Agree it is worthwhile sourcing card/s which do not have the 3% ftf. I use Citi debit and 28degrees CC and almost get the XE rate of exchange. The Citi to withdraw cash and the 28deg for CC use. Have saved paying the bank the 3% every O/S trip ... well worth it.

Where do you get these and how long does it take? We are leaving next Tuesday.

At this point, I would use the MC and Visa cards you have. If you charge $1,000 you'll lose $30 in fees. No hassles and the route you are taking, no problem with CC acceptance. Changing currency is going to cost more than you need to spend in time, aggravation and cash. There are plenty of credit cards offering no foreign transaction fees......for those not cutting it so close.

At this point, I would use the MC and Visa cards you have. If you charge $1,000 you'll lose $30 in fees. No hassles and the route you are taking, no problem with CC acceptance. Changing currency is going to cost more than you need to spend in time, aggravation and cash. There are plenty of credit cards offering no foreign transaction fees......for those not cutting it so close.

Thank you. Agreed, the transaction fee is pretty minimal (3%). Next time I will arrange to get a no fee card. We will take a little cash for places that don't take cards. THanks for the information everyone! :)