Most expensive per night cruises

galeforce9

As a counter to the cheapest per night thread, what about the most expensive (up to sailing, not currently)?

My thoughts would be Norwegian fjords and northern Atlantic cruises, holiday cruises and Antarctica cruises.

I have a 7 night freebie for 140 redeemable days coming up next year and want to make the most of it (obviously also to a destination I am interested in). My current thoughts are to use it to pay for half a 14 night Norwegian fjords cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found that most expensive per night cruise using Seabourn's brochure pricing is the Christmas cruise to Antarctica with the Baltic second in high season alongside the Path of the Vikings annual cruise.

About making the most of your 7 night "free" cruise, you may need to reconsider your approach. As I understand it, Seabourn calculates the

average price per day you have spent on your cabin and uses that number for a credit towards a cruise times 7 (days). So if you choose the most expensive cruise of the year you may get a credit that is less than what you might expect. (The best example is 140 days of those less expensive trans-atlantics.) This means that you are getting a subsidy and not a free week, as such, on a very expensive cruise.

This approach is fair enough and I imagine that if you are usually e.g. a V1 person or couple your money will most efficiently be applied again if you choose a V1 cabin for the cruise that includes the 7 day subsidy.

It's best to contact your travel agent to ask about this and you will get the final word once he/she hears back about the calculation Seabourn will make and availability on the cruise you want.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Based on my recent experience - redeeming 14 nights - you get the 7/14 nights free and the category of suite you are entitled to is based on the category of suite you had the most paid nights in toward reaching the magic number. (So if you typically take a V1 do not expect a V6) It has nothing to do w/ per diem paid - 140 nights = 7 days, 250 = 14 days regardless of the chosen complimentary cruise. If you apply the redeemed nights as part of a longer voyage, Seabourn will pro rate the additional days at a per diem rate, so if you want to maximize your redeemed cruise it certainly makes sense to find an Alaska or other high priced voyage and pay the additional 7 or whatever days rate as the first 7 do not cost you, as you already paid for them with your loyalty and hard earned dollars.

Thanks everyone. 2sailingnomads that was my understanding too. 7/14 nights are free and the cabin depends on the average grade paid for over the previous 140/250 sailed days. Wipro destination is key but I have already travelled to most destinations (not always with seabourn or even on a cruise) and am very open minded, with many places I would love to return. I think some places will be more magical with seabourn and that is a consideration, especially if the cruises would usually be on the more highly priced side.

One of the most expensive cruises on any line is a trip around the UK.

It is very popular especially with folks from The USA and understandably so [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not so tempting to a Brit though!

No it's not but I always look and gasp at the high price that cruise lines ask for a round the British isles trip.

You are obviously charging them top whack for excursions to your various stately homes and castles on the way round:'):')

Making the most of it is finding a cruise you want to go on and places you want to visit, not finding the most expensive per diem. jmo.

This is excellent advice from Henry.

OP, if you have traveled most of the places then I would pick ones you would like to revisit. You are right the experience will be likely better then on other cruise lines. At the same time none of us can possibly see all there is to see on a cruise and places change overtime as we do so we always enjoy revisiting new places.

As to per diem, I really would stay away from that. Remember per diem is often supply and demand and if demand is high that is not necessarily the best time to travel. For example, I would rather sail the Med in April, May or September into early October. Prices are likely more reasonable then the summer and the downside of summer is that it is very hot, humid and crowded in many of the ports.

I would begin with time frames and the times of the year and not worry about per diem pricing IMHO.

Keith

Agree completely with Keith. And also the remember the experience onboard will be the same np matter what the per diem is. They don't give you better service for a higher per diem nor vice versa.

I would definitely go for a Norway cruise, one up to the North Cape and back. It is a lovely trip - especially if you are lucky enough to get good weather, as we did last time- and is one with a high price per day which might make some of us hesitate to book it otherwise.