Will I need an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

Are Americans required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in Australia?

Just remember we drive on the opposite side of the road. Lots of tourists have accidents because they forget that. ;)

Not required. The IDP acts more as a translation document for your licence so if your licence is in English (which US ones are) it's not needed. Just make sure you carry your US one with you all times when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have noted, we drive on the left. It may be useful to also brush up on Australian road rules which may help avoid accidents and possible fines. I have provided the link for NSW as this would be most useful if coming into Sydney.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2008/179/title

Other states have their own legislated rules but would be similar.

The road rules are very similar here to the US. The one glaring difference was the ability in US to turn right on red if the road is clear. You can't do the corresponding left turn in Australia unless there is a sign telling you 'left turn permitted after stopping'. On all other occasions if the light is red you have to stop until it turns green.

When I first hired rental cars in the US, the rental guy couldn't believe that my Australian driver's licence didn't have a photo it. We didn't have our photo on anything, or official ID, except for our passport photo, which I produced.

A lot of the rental cars at international airports have numerous signs about keeping on the left side of the road on the dashboard, etc.

Not to mention the exit ramps on freeways have the big "WRONG WAY GO BACK" signs.

The big thing the Americans need to watch out for is roundabouts, or as they call them "traffic circles". Was hilarious watching my American mates trying to navigate them.

Not to mention the exit ramps on freeways have the big "WRONG WAY GO BACK" signs.

The big thing the Americans need to watch out for is roundabouts, or as they call them "traffic circles". Was hilarious watching my American mates trying to navigate them.

Hope they are not planning to drive in Canberra.:p

When I first hired rental cars in the US, the rental guy couldn't believe that my Australian driver's licence didn't have a photo it. We didn't have our photo on anything, or official ID, except for our passport photo, which I produced.

Which state are you from. I have had my ohoto on my licence for at least the last 15 years

The road rules are very similar here to the US. The one glaring difference was the ability in US to turn right on red if the road is clear. You can't do the corresponding left turn in Australia unless there is a sign telling you 'left turn permitted after stopping'. On all other occasions if the light is red you have to stop until it turns green.

Also, take note that the amber/orange light also means stop, if you are safely able to do so.

And, there are the speed and red light cameras all over the place.

Which state are you from. I have had my ohoto on my licence for at least the last 15 years

WA and QLD had the option for no photo (no idea why) up until a few years back. I remember a family friend who had a WA licence with no photo and is brother (who had no licence) would always drive with it. Racking up a lot of fines too. Made no sense to offer licence without a photo and don't think they do it anymore.

In Melbourne, you have to know about:

Hook turns

Not passing trams which have stopped to allow passengers on and off.

And even if you drive there every few years it takes some concentration.

And even if you drive there every few years it takes some concentration.

Those hook turns, only a man could cone up with that. Scary stuff when you first drive there. Lol

In Melbourne, you have to know about:

Hook turns

Not passing trams which have stopped to allow passengers on and off.

Even after driving in Melbourne for nearly 44 years I avoid hook turn intersections if possible. I will drive a few extra blocks if necessary.

Leigh

Even after driving in Melbourne for nearly 44 years I avoid hook turn intersections if possible. I will drive a few extra blocks if necessary.

Leigh

I prefer not to drive in Melbourne if possible, park on the outskirts and use the tram/train to get in.