How much money did you spend after booking the cruisetour and ship excursions?

aloanldy

I'm doing a cruisetour in July this year 12 nights. I have booked my excursions for while i'm on the ship already. My question is this... how much did you spend on the land portion excursions, going out, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how much money I should bring. I like to gamble some while on the ship, so that money will be separate.

Thank you,

Charlie

I'm doing a cruisetour in July this year 12 nights. I have booked my excursions for while i'm on the ship already. My question is this... how much did you spend on the land portion excursions, going out, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how much money I should bring. I like to gamble some while on the ship, so that money will be separate.

Thank you,

Charlie

Hi Charlie, I am also doing an Alaskan cruise tour in July. For the land portion I am spending about 440 dollars. Doing the white water rafting in Denali, an alpine hike at the hotel alyeska, and upgrading to the Kantishna experience tour in Denali national park. I figure, might as well do as much as I can :)

Unless meals are included you will have to budget for meals and tips as well as tips for bus drivers and other people who provide a service along the way..like the train manager/narrator on the Anchorage to Denali train and the bus into the park. Put the meals on the credit card and plan to carry cash for tips in $1, $5, $10's.....depending on whether you are tipping for one or two.

This is such a personal question...

Assuming you are talking meals - Do you get an appetizer & dessert, or just the main? Do you choose expensive cuts of meat? etc.

I agree with regarding the meals. Like I still am not sure if breakfast will be included during the morning of my anchorage stay. Personally for me I don't need an appetizer and desert, or alcohol for my dinner, so I am saving money there. I'm bringing 300 dollars for my 4 day land tour, and I have my credit card just in case

Thanks. For me its a trip of a lifetime, and I don't want to come up short. I want to make sure i've not forgotten anything.

Totally with you there aloandy, this is indeed a trip of a lifetime and wanna see and do as much as I can :)

I advise taking a credit card with you. Most cruise tours do not include meals and they are not inexpensive in Alaska. If you like a drink, wine or beer with your meal, add that in. Plan on booking additional excursions on the land portion, more money there. Want to stop for a drink on your way back to the hotel or ship, more $. Land transportation at the beginning and end of the trip will add to your costs. Take the cash you are comfortable with spending but have the credit card as a back up.

We do like to indulge ourselves so do not budget and you might have a stroke if I told you how much we spent outside of prebooked items, but again, Alaska is expensive.

I advise taking a credit card with you. Most cruise tours do not include meals and they are not inexpensive in Alaska. If you like a drink, wine or beer with your meal, add that in. Plan on booking additional excursions on the land portion, more money there. Want to stop for a drink on your way back to the hotel or ship, more $. Land transportation at the beginning and end of the trip will add to your costs. Take the cash you are comfortable with spending but have the credit card as a back up.

We do like to indulge ourselves so do not budget and you might have a stroke if I told you how much we spent outside of prebooked items, but again, Alaska is expensive.

Oh ya. I believe ya. Outside of the cruise tour cost, im up to 6000 including the independent tours I booked. I have no shame lol. And upgrading to the kantishna experience tour in Denali just because I think it would be amazing to come back and say I did the full distance of the park :)

JP and that is why I ask. I know I have to eat, so the food part isn't really a concern with the money to bring as is the excursions that I don't know about yet. My cruise part excursions were expensive. I want to be able to do it all, and not stress about not having brought enough money with me.

I will bring a credit card and part may go on the card until I get home to pay it off.

I am just wondering if the land excursions are going to be equally expensive as the cruise port excursions.

This trip so far has cost me far more than my 14 night Med cruise. But it's ok. It's my bucket list and i'm going to go in style!!

Charlie

JP and that is why I ask. I know I have to eat, so the food part isn't really a concern with the money to bring as is the excursions that I don't know about yet. My cruise part excursions were expensive. I want to be able to do it all, and not stress about not having brought enough money with me.

I will bring a credit card and part may go on the card until I get home to pay it off.

I am just wondering if the land excursions are going to be equally expensive as the cruise port excursions.

This trip so far has cost me far more than my 14 night Med cruise. But it's ok. It's my bucket list and i'm going to go in style!!

Charlie

Haha! Bucket list and I'm going in style!! I love it! I have the same mentality. Great minds think alike! Ya now I totally understand with people say everything is expensive in Alaska. But look where you are! That's why. Did you book all your excursions with the ship?

JP - I did book all my excursions with the ship. I read different threads on independents, but i've never had a problem with the cruise line excursions.

I am whale watching, going on the deadlist catch boat, helicopter on a glacier, and a train and dog sledding.

My land portion is a cruise tour thru Celeberity for 5 nights. Just not sure what to do on that part yet.

Charlie

JP - I did book all my excursions with the ship. I read different threads on independents, but i've never had a problem with the cruise line excursions.

I am whale watching, going on the deadlist catch boat, helicopter on a glacier, and a train and dog sledding.

My land portion is a cruise tour thru Celeberity for 5 nights. Just not sure what to do on that part yet.

Charlie

That's gonna be awesome Charlie.

Good choices. saver each minute man

Charlie

I can't imagine them being any less expensive - same dynamics in play...

(I too am spending way more on this cruise - probably more than my previous cruises combined!)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find the Princess meal package a preferred option. Significant will be the reluctance to try some great eateries in Alaska.

For meals, I always suggest budgeting 50% more than you would at home.

With a 5 day add on, a lot of that time is just going to be in transit. You don't mention where you are going, so, it would important to figure out if you have any interests where you are going and what tours you want to do.

Does your cruise tour, have the Natural History tour? or the Tundra Wilderness tour? If the NHT, then my opinion would be that it is essential that it be upgraded.

I don't find the Princess meal package a preferred option. Significant will be the reluctance to try some great eateries in Alaska.

For meals, I always suggest budgeting 50% more than you would at home.

With a 5 day add on, a lot of that time is just going to be in transit. You don't mention where you are going, so, it would important to figure out if you have any interests where you are going and what tours you want to do.

Does your cruise tour, have the Natural History tour? or the Tundra Wilderness tour? If the NHT, then my opinion would be that it is essential that it be upgraded.

Agree 10000% with budget queen about the Denali tours. I would

Never ever in my lifetime settle for the NHT lol