Tracy Arm access May 2017

DougH

Hi

Just visited Tracy Arm yesterday on the Adventure Bound excursion from Juneau. Pretty fair amount of ice in the water and I doubt the cruise ships will attempt if they encounter the same conditions. Even with the small boat Capt Steve did not even attempt to head to the South Sawyer Glacier as the channel was filled wall t wall with ice. We did divert to the face of the North Sawyer for a visit but really no calving during our stay. Looks like cruise ships will probably head for Endicott for a while.

Only saw a few seals but we did stop for several bears along the waters edge, probably saw 6-7. Would be hard to spot from the cruise ship but visible if you are really looking

Good luck

Winona met us at the Coral Princess then drove us the the boat and we boarded at the dock by the Twisted Fisk/Taku cannery next to the Mt Roberts Tram. First time I've sailed on the Captain Cook

DougH,

We are booked with Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm on May 30th.

If not making it to Sawyer Glacier, can you give me a description of the day's trip. Eg. is the trip as good as the final destination?

Thanks

DougH,

We are booked with Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm on May 30th.

If not making it to Sawyer Glacier, can you give me a description of the day's trip. Eg. is the trip as good as the final destination?

Thanks

Doug did make it to one of the glaciers in Tracy Arm.

Yes - the trip to Tracy Arm is fascinating, even if you don't make it to the glaciers. Capt Steve may also decide to go to Endicott Arm instead (Dawes Glacier) but he decides first thing in the morning.

Doug will answer when he can.

Thanks Doug for the update. This is Jimbo's wife. How was the boat ride itself? was it a very choppy ride or was it pretty smooth all the way in as far as you got?

Think we are more confused now whether to stick with AB or just do a whale watching excursion on this trip to Juneau and try a AB on another trip?

What was the weather like? What did you wear? was it raining at all?

As Coral mentioned the trip is still great with just the ride. We had a nice day, I spent the entire day sitting outside behind the main cabin. Ride is not what I would consider rough at all but I'm sure in bad weather it could be.

We did make it to the face of the North Sawyer Glacier, too much ice to reach the South Sawyer which is usually the main destination. We stopped 3-4 times for bears along the shoreline and a couple times for whales. I still consider it a great trip as it is a different experience being at water level with the icebergs etc.

Thanks Doug for the update. This is Jimbo's wife. How was the boat ride itself? was it a very choppy ride or was it pretty smooth all the way in as far as you got?

Think we are more confused now whether to stick with AB or just do a whale watching excursion on this trip to Juneau and try a AB on another trip?

What was the weather like? What did you wear? was it raining at all?

I can tell you Doug always book AdventureBound when he can in Juneau. He doesn't always book whale watching - AdventureBound is his preferred trip (and mine).

You really will not regret going with AB.

I was on Adventure Bound today, and we went to both the South and North Sawyer glaciers. It was their first visit to the south glacier this season.

I debated about doing the all-day trip to Tracy Arm, but I'm so glad I did it!

Still no cruise ships in Tracy Arm.

I was on Adventure Bound today, and we went to both the South and North Sawyer glaciers. It was their first visit to the south glacier this season.

oh YAY!! thanks for letting us know! I'm booked with Adventure Bound and so looking forward to this excursion!!

So glad you made it and enjoyed the trip!

How was the weather and the ride on their boat? was it choppy? any rain? what did you wear?

How was the weather and the ride on their boat? was it choppy? any rain? what did you wear?

It was overcast but no rain. The sun came out as we left the fjord, and it was quite sunny on the 2-hour ride back to Juneau. It was a bit bumpy on the ride back, as we were going very fast.

I wore a long-sleeve shirt, fleece sweatshirt, and North Face jacket, plus hat and gloves. I wore jeans, but also had long underwear bottoms and rain pants in my backpack - in case I wanted more layers. Had I spent more time outside on the boat, I would've worn all of my bottom layers.

You can purchase sandwiches, snacks, and drinks on the boat at very reasonable prices: $5 sandwich, $1 chips, candy, water/soft drinks. Or, bring your own snacks - although technically you aren't supposed to bring food off your ship.

Our welcome email asked us to preorder lunch sandwiches so they could plan. Did you do that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My confirmation didn't mention preordering lunch. However, a gentleman on our roll call reserved the boat just for our group, so 43 of us were on the Captain Cook.

Our welcome email asked us to preorder lunch sandwiches so they could plan. Did you do that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I forgot to do that one time and thankfully, they had enough food on the boat for me. I thought what they charged for food was quite reasonable IMO considering we are a "captive group". I would probably email if you want sandwich.

We have boarding passes all ready. So do we still need to take a taxi to 76 Egan Drive to check in ? or do you think we are suppose to go right to where the boat docks or is 76 Egan Drive where the boat docks where we board?

Is 76 Egan Drive in Anchorage or Seward? (I'm thinking Anchorage.) The ship is in Seward - ~3 hours from Anchorage.

I just spoke to the lady at Adventure Bound Alaska, She said someone would meet us at the dock and either walk us over or drive us over to the boat and I did go ahead and tell her we wanted lunch she said make sure we bring cash to pay for lunch that they didn't have anyway on the boat to take credit card payments