Has anybody arranged a tour to Eagles Nest from Linz or Passau

knoxclone

We will be on Viking Danube waltz later this year. On DH's bucket list is a visit to Berchtesgarden Eagles Nest. I am looking at possibly hiring a guide/driver to take us there on the day we are in Linz. Has any body done this or have any suggestions?

Our other option is to go after we depart the ship, but we only have 48 before our flight home from Munich, and based on past experiences we will be exhausted! :)

Thanks!

It is certainly feasible to go there from Linz, by car it is around 1h and 40 mins. according to google maps. From Passau it is about 2h. As regards the two towns personally I find Passau a superior experience and would miss out on Linz rather than Passau. You could ask at the company that offers tours what they can suggest might be possible for you: https://www.eagles-nest-tours.com/

I have not been there but I am sure it is very interesting. The landscape alone (I have been to Salzburg) is worth a trip out from the Danube. To make things a little easier (money-wise) you can take a train from Linz to Salzburg: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?

You can go from Munich, yes, but that is also 1h and 40mins. according to google maps.

I hope it will work out for you.

notamermaid

The OP didn't say when exactly they were going. In Late July or August it can take an hour, or more, to get from Salzburg up to The Eagles Nest, each way. The times quoted on google maps is optimal times, and ones I wouldn't count on during tourist season. Additionally, they have been doing construction on the Autobahn between Salzburg and Linz, so one never knows when that stretch will be closer to a parking lot, than a freeway. If it were me, I'd do it during that 48 hour extension, after the cruise so not to be so rushed.

We will be cruising in September. With Octoberfest starting, we are trying to avoid Munich as much as possible, except for flight home (which we have booked airport hotel the previous evening). would like to able to do tour in one day with no luggage ( hence the day trip from Passau).

The tour we are looking at ( thanks to Notamermaid) begins in Bertchesgarden - not Salzburg, so ideally we would like to go straight from Passau to Bertchesgarden.

Sorry about the confusion. My point is, there is mostly only one road in and out of Bertchesgarden which runs along the river just west of Salzburg going southward. For your options, one way in, one way out. It will be the same road used regardless of whether you were traveling from Linz, Passau, or Munich. It can be a traffic nightmare. Perhaps that make it easier to understand.

Given that this is a 'bucket list' item for your husband, I'd really suggest doing this on another trip. The whole area around there really deserves more time. On our last river cruise, we got off the boat in Nuremberg and picked up a rental car to drive to Berchtesgaden. Some of the alpine roads were some of the most beautiful and scenic I've ever been on. We spent three days in Berchtesgaden and the area around it (don't miss a cruise on Lake Königssee) and really would have happily stayed much longer. Afterwards, the drive to Munich airport took about 60-90 minutes.

If you stay overnight in Berchtesgaden, you get a free regional bus ticket that allows you to travel throughout the whole area. You can also take the bus to Salzburg (about 30 minutes away) for 5 Euros.

Thanks to those who have responded! DH was stationed in Stuttgart for 6 mos, so we have spent quite a bit of time touring in southern Bavaria - Munich Chimsee and Salzburg - we have just never made it up to the Eagles Nest, due to a variety a factors - including the fact that it was closed most of the time we were there due to the season.

Was hoping to be able to just do a one day "down and back" with either a private guide or car hire/driver. However it sounds as though it may be tough to pull off. :(