That aggravating third piece of checked Baggage

johnjen

We'll have three checked baggage items.

This "third" checked bag is a garment bag. I had assumed each passenger is allowed TWO free checked bags but I'm getting conflicting information, a few weeks back, DW flew to Paris via United, she had two checked bags and wasn't charged at all.

Is this third bag going to be charged? It'll not nearly weigh much at all. I know....I'll duct tape it to one of the cases. j/k

The RT flights are all booked under AA but on the first leg we're flying BA0326 IAD/LHR. What's the baggage allowance on AA or do we fall under BA for baggage? Both sites are rather confusing. Maybe the confusion rests over the fact we're booked AA but taking a BA flight over. Thanks for any help with this question.

This "third" checked bag is a garment bag. I had assumed each passenger is allowed TWO free checked bags but I'm getting conflicting information, a few weeks back, DW flew to Paris via United, she had two checked bags and wasn't charged at all.

Is this third bag going to be charged? It'll not nearly weigh much at all. I know....I'll duct tape it to one of the cases. j/k

The RT flights are all booked under AA but on the first leg we're flying BA0326 IAD/LHR. What's the baggage allowance on AA or do we fall under BA for baggage? Both sites are rather confusing. Maybe the confusion rests over the fact we're booked AA but taking a BA flight over. Thanks for any help with this question.

The airline website should have info about checked and carry-on luggage.

It usually varies by class of service (number of items and also weight).

It might vary by "domestic" or "international".

With interline flights, the baggage policy of airline where you will actually board will be followed. In your case, it's BA.

Last year, we had a UA EWR-LHR r/t flight. But the one-way EWR-LHR flight was operated by Lufthansa. We were told on check-in that Baggage allowance for Lufthansa flight will be applied.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For carry-on baggage you follow that of the cabin and airline on that particular flight.

For checked baggage you follow the most generous allowance on your itinerary.

Also, BA326 if a flight between LHR-CDG. BA's IAD-LHR flight numbers are 292 and 216.

For carry-on baggage you follow that of the cabin and airline on that particular flight.

Also, BA326 if a flight between LHR-CDG. BA's IAD-LHR flight numbers are 292 and 216.

Thanks...I meant flight 6167. I just hope I don't have to fork out $100 for a garment bag. There was a time you could get away with it, but the greedy airlines are nit picky and just want more cash.

Just a thought. We may just try packing without the garment bag...and pack extra light this time. Two pairs of underwear for 14 days! Yes! It can be done!!

This "third" checked bag is a garment bag. I had assumed each passenger is allowed TWO free checked bags but I'm getting conflicting information

You'll be checking in with BA, and per the BA website, if you are traveling in coach and don't have any elite level loyalty with BA, you'll each get 1 checked bag. That means you'll pay to check the garment bag. The fact that it's a garment bag and not a suitcase is irrelevant; either way it's a checked bag.

As far as I can tell from the AA website, you also get just 1 (free) checked bag if traveling in coach and have no elite level loyalty, so that policy is no more generous than the BA policy.

The "1 free checked bag" is pretty common. On the flight when your wife got 2, was she perhaps traveling in a higher fare class than regular coach? Or does she maybe have elite status with United or may be a branded credit card that allows more baggage? Or maybe that's just United's policy.

You'll be checking in with BA, and per the BA website, if you are traveling in coach and don't have any elite level loyalty with BA, you'll each get 1 checked bag. That means you'll pay to check the garment bag. The fact that it's a garment bag and not a suitcase is irrelevant; either way it's a checked bag.

As far as I can tell from the AA website, you also get just 1 (free) checked bag if traveling in coach and have no elite level loyalty, so that policy is no more generous than the BA policy.

The "1 free checked bag" is pretty common. On the flight when your wife got 2, was she perhaps traveling in a higher fare class than regular coach? Or does she maybe have elite status with United or may be a branded credit card that allows more baggage? Or maybe that's just United's policy.

Duct taping the garment bag to one of the two checked pieces is getting more an attractive idea.:evilsmile:

See, it USED to be this way. Overseas flights didn't charge you until you reached maybe that third checked bag. It was only domestic once. Every time we flew overseas, NEVER got charged extra on a checked bag.