Drink Package, unable to purchase?

We sail on Freedom March 17, 2018. My cruise planner allows me to book dining, excursions, internet, but not any beverage packages. It just says "Sorry, not able to book this package, check on board".

At first, I thought it may be to far out to book and waited. The cruise has been booked for two months and this is the only thing that can't be purchased.

Is this typical? Just curious as to why it's not open to book. And calling RCI I get the same info as website with no timetable as to when it'll be available.

We sail on Freedom March 17, 2018. My cruise planner allows me to book dining, excursions, internet, but not any beverage packages. It just says "Sorry, not able to book this package, check on board".

At first, I thought it may be to far out to book and waited. The cruise has been booked for two months and this is the only thing that can't be purchased.

Is this typical? Just curious as to why it's not open to book. And calling RCI I get the same info as website with no timetable as to when it'll be available.

Yes, typical. Just keep checking the Cruise Planner.

No real hurry, it's not like they will run out.

Drink packages on the cruise we are booked on in a couple of weeks, weren't available in cruise planner until about 5-6 months before the cruise.

We always like to buy them before the cruise, one less thing to pay for at the end of the trip. As much pre-paid as possible for us!

We usually wait till we are onboard anyway. The first bar we go to we just buy it. Just be careful not to get any drinks from the waiters before you sign up.

I know now that they run the sales if you buy in advance and now that they let you access your on board credit before sailing a lot of people like to save the $50-90 by buying it before sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, typical. Just keep checking the Cruise Planner.

No real hurry, it's not like they will run out.

Thanks, no hurry on my part other than curiosity of price or if there will be the glorious 20% off....ha ha.

Thanks, no hurry on my part other than curiosity of price or if there will be the glorious 20% off....ha ha.

I know last Black Friday they ran a 30% off. We sail Harmony on 3/17/18 and are kinda waiting to see if they do that again

I know last Black Friday they ran a 30% off. We sail Harmony on 3/17/18 and are kinda waiting to see if they do that again

My thoughts too. I'm planning on the highest price considering it's Spring Break time.

My thoughts too. I'm planning on the highest price considering it's Spring Break time.

We sail in March and October each year and usually pay the same for the drink package . Our October was actually higher last year than our March because we got the Black Friday sale for march not October

We sail 12/31 and same thing. I'm not worrying about it. I check every couple days. I'd like 20% off too although my cruise is only 5 nights so not sure we'll get it. I guess we'll see. . .

Drink packages on the cruise we are booked on in a couple of weeks, weren't available in cruise planner until about 5-6 months before the cruise.

We always like to buy them before the cruise, one less thing to pay for at the end of the trip. As much pre-paid as possible for us!

We also book ahead of time, one less line to stand in, plus this frees up the bartenders who have to take the time to sell the package. This allows them faster serving of drinks to the other passengers. Just my thoughts.

We also book ahead of time, one less line to stand in, plus this frees up the bartenders who have to take the time to sell the package. This allows them faster serving of drinks to the other passengers. Just my thoughts.

For me (and pretty well everyone outside of the US) it makes so much more financial sense to purchase online before hand. My Feb cruise on Explorer I got the drinks package at something like $69 a day - Australian Dollar, including the gratuity. On board we were able to purchase it for $69 a day - US Dollar. And probably the gratuity on top of that.

With a conversion rate of about 73 US cents to the Australian Dollar, that $69 per day on board could have easily ended up more than $100 Australian dollars per day.

Thank you for this thread.

I look every day for drink and dining packages and booking a cabana on Labadee.

I'm willing to give RCCL my money for 11 people for above but they won't take it yet LOL

I sail on Oasis August 2018.

Oh well.

For me (and pretty well everyone outside of the US) it makes so much more financial sense to purchase online before hand

We had a discussion about this with a crew member our last cruise. He said selling the packages online with a discount is the best thing for that Royal has done for the customer but it hurts the crew since they don't get the gratuity they would with the full priced package onboard. I told him I'd compensate him well but I can definitely see how it would affect them overall.

I'm just hoping that the gratuity charge we see purchasing online actually goes to the crew...

We had a discussion about this with a crew member our last cruise. He said selling the packages online with a discount is the best thing for that Royal has done for the customer but it hurts the crew since they don't get the gratuity they would with the full priced package onboard. I told him I'd compensate him well but I can definitely see how it would affect them overall.

I'm just hoping that the gratuity charge we see purchasing online actually goes to the crew...

Honestly the difference in gratuity between buying in advance and on board is around $1 per person per day....which we tip more than that extra per day