Butterfly Farm - St Maarten

JamesEM

I will be sailing on the Allure next and have a stop in St Maarten and was thinking about taking a ship's tour or maybe going on by my own to visit the Butterfly Farm. Does anyone have some advise or information they care to share about activity?

Thanks,

We went to the Butterfly Farm on our own last month when we sailed on the Oasis. Got a taxi right outside for the four of us for $32 plus tip, he drove us over and offered to pick us up later at the beach. We spent some time their then walked down the road about 1/2 mile to Le Galion beach, rented a couple chairs and umbrella, had lunch and kids played in the sand and water. Taxi came back at 2pm to pick us up, shared the ride with another family of 3. All-in-all a really nice day.

Loved the butterfly farm. Apparently it is best to go in the morning, something about the butterflies being more active then, if I remember rightly.

Also, just as an aside, if anyone happens to have any euros left over from a previous trip to Europe they can be used up at the butterfly farm since it's on the French side of the island.