Wifi on Odyssey

Westiesheepie

How good is the wifi on Odyssey? Is the signal strong enou to make VOIP calls via Messenger or wifi calling on TMobile? Thanks.

Welcome to CC! I've not been on Odyssey, but on the Soujourn, i had no problem making Skype phone calls via wifi.

I was on Odyssey September 2015, Athens to Istanbul, then Istanbul-Istanbul (BTB) on the 9th deck, a PH suite way in front in the bow. Wifi was terrible there, very frustrating, but quite decent at SB Square so that is where I did my work. I don't know if there have been improvements for bow wifi service since, but just be aware that different locations may be quite different and from what the tech guy told me then, the Square would usually be the most reliable and fastest.

Edited by Catlover54

From the FAQs on the Seabourn website. As skype uses quite a lot of bandwidth if too many people use it , then a not very quick service becomes even slower!

Is Internet Access Available?

Yes, you may access the internet onboard either via WiFi connection or in our Business Centre. Due to the limits of satellite bandwidth, we ask that you use Seabourn internet access for email communication or web browsing only. Please do not download high-volume data such as videos, movies, or Skype and similar types of services, as this will interfere with other users.

We sailed on Odyssey in Jan/Feb 2016 from LA to Sydney and Sojourn in July 2016 in the Med and we found the Odyssey WiFi not as good. We also did the Sojourn in 2015 from South Africa around Asia and Myanmar and I would still say the Wifi on Sojourn was better. I am no techy so maybe it was where we were sailing but I noticed a difference.

I did find on Odyssey I had much better results when I went up to Seabourn Square. My husband had better results with his 2015 Surface Pro in our room then I had with my 2013 Macbook.

The crew and cruises were wonderful I just had to modify my patterns with my computer.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

We sailed on Odyssey in Jan/Feb 2016 from LA to Sydney and Sojourn in July 2016 in the Med and we found the Odyssey WiFi not as good. We also did the Sojourn in 2015 from South Africa around Asia and Myanmar and I would still say the Wifi on Sojourn was better. I am no techy so maybe it was where we were sailing but I noticed a difference.

I did find on Odyssey I had much better results when I went up to Seabourn Square. My husband had better results with his 2015 Surface Pro in our room then I had with my 2013 Macbook.

The crew and cruises were wonderful I just had to modify my patterns with my computer.

Julie

WiFi on Odyssey was (notoriously) 'upgraded' in mid December 2015 just before the Panama Canal holiday cruise.

It was terrible to the point of being barely usable on the holiday cruise. Even Steve Wozniak with all his expertise and gizmos struggled to get a decent signal! ;)

I haven't commented on this thread as I've not been on Odyssey lately, but I hadn't realised the problems were ongoing into Jan/Feb this year when you were onboard. I wonder if it's been resolved yet?

Save