data on cruise

skellyj

I have O2 travel and I will be travelling on Royal Caribbean to Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Will it be cheaper to use my O2 travel or purchase onboard wifi? Its £4.99 day with O2 but I'm unsure if Royal Caribbean has its own satellite

The O2 "£4.99 a day" tariff does not include cruise ships (nor any of the destinations your are traveling to). It includes 30 select countries that are available on O2's site. I would advise you to turn off your phone a cruise ship. It could lead to very expensive roaming charges. Pay for shipboard wifi and you can use whatsapp, Facebook, etc. It's $9.09 a day (US Site) if you pre-purchase it on the cruise planner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Also, don't have too high of expectations for speed. Passenger data streams sort of take a back seat to operations traffic. Skype, Video streaming and IP phone apps will probably choke. Large uploads (photos) may not be practical. Basic web searches like for weather info or news are OK. Email I compose in Notepad and connect, copy/send then disconnect to reduce connected time.