Yagtzee River Cruise

msypdxct

I will be going to China for the first time in April 2017. We will be there for about 3 weeks. I would like to know what is the best luxury river cruise I can take for 3 or 4 days or longer.

I am considering a longer river cruise, but have never taken a river cruise. I have only been on ocean cruises so not sure what to expect.

I also considered taking the Crystal cruise for 11 days, then taking a 3 or 4 day river cruise so I could see the Yangtzee.

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

MSYPDXCT

The 3 1/2 day cruise through the gorges is sufficient imho. The ship travels through a beautiful area with excursions by boat and on foot into gorgeous side canyons, to a temple and to the famous dam. The shores outside these areas are industrial. For a longer cruise, I would recommend the Mekong or a European river cruise.

We booked this cruise as part of a 4 week land tour. I think you should consider such an arrangement because the dock on the lower end of the cruise was far from transportation hubs. Our travel company was China Focus out of San Francisco and they had hired a bus to take us there.

Somebody her on cc mentioned a new luxury ship doing this cruise, but I do not remember its name.

Edited by Floridiana

Thanks so much for the information. I thought 3 days on the river would be enough. I love ocean cruise ships so much that I am sure it will be a disappoint on one of the china river cruise ships since there is not as much to do.

I just saw a cruise on Crystal from Singapore to Hong Kong with stops in Vietnam and Cambodia. I was told this is a very interesting area, so we may consider this one, along with a land tour for Terra Cotta Warriors, Great Wall and Beijing.

I heard Sanctuary River Cruises is a luxury river cruise. If you find out about another one, I would love to know.

Try posting your question on the River Cruising forum here. There are also quite a few threads there you can read about Yangtze River Cruises. The 3 or 4 day cruises are often part of land tours.

We did one as part of a three week land tour with Abercrombie and Kent. If I had it to do over again I would choose a China tour without this. Originally, these river ships started this as the three gorges were spectacular scenery along with beautiful countryside. Now, the three Gorges Dam is complete, the river valley was flooded. Millions of farms were flooded and their occupants moved to hundreds of almost identical 20 story buildings and many of the original sites to see are underwater. The gorges, while also flooded, are still beautiful but not what they were.

China is huge!! You'll be flying from one place to another to see the country as you would have to do in the US. While many others did enjoy the cruise, I would rather have spent that time elsewhere in the country.

Thanks so much for the advice. What river cruise company did you use?

The cruise was part of the tour. I'm sorry I don't remember the name. We did LOVE Abercrombie and Kent for the tour though, if you haven't already chosen a tour.