Toilet / Pipe Noise - Seabourn Odyssey

NickNak69

First time on Seaborn (have been with Silversea many times) - booked late and they only had 'dungeon deck' (deck 4) GTY available. Was a bit sceptical about being so low and not having a balcony but thought I'd give it a try.

A brief word on everything else except the noise....was all great, very similar to Silversea, maybe just a tad below.

The Noise - I took the liberty of recording it on my iPhone so I had hard evidence when I presented it to management to report it. It is the sound of the vacuum toilet system flushing and the contents being whisked down the walls / through the roof to the tank (or wherever it goes) not just your neighbours toilet (which you can understandably hear - but every toilet on the same deck it seems) - after listening to the noise management said this is normal and no malfunction is exisiting. I had to clarify this with head office as I couldn't believe something this loud could be 'normal' but they also confirmed this. If I go with Seabourn again I'll be sure to get a room on a higher deck (hopefully they are well away from the trouble)

Has anyone else experienced similar noises ?

Not sure how much you have cruised but all the plumbing pipes run through the walls on most ships. On some ships the walls are thicker and you don't hear a thing. Most if not all ships use the Vacu Flush system and yes it does have a sound. This is not a house or a hotel.

Real problems of the world.:rolleyes:

First time on Seaborn (have been with Silversea many times) - booked late and they only had 'dungeon deck' (deck 4) GTY available. Was a bit sceptical about being so low and not having a balcony but thought I'd give it a try.

A brief word on everything else except the noise....was all great, very similar to Silversea, maybe just a tad below.

The Noise - I took the liberty of recording it on my iPhone so I had hard evidence when I presented it to management to report it. It is the sound of the vacuum toilet system flushing and the contents being whisked down the walls / through the roof to the tank (or wherever it goes) not just your neighbours toilet (which you can understandably hear - but every toilet on the same deck it seems) - after listening to the noise management said this is normal and no malfunction is exisiting. I had to clarify this with head office as I couldn't believe something this loud could be 'normal' but they also confirmed this. If I go with Seabourn again I'll be sure to get a room on a higher deck (hopefully they are well away from the trouble)

Has anyone else experienced similar noises ?

This sucks! :) Thanks for posting.

Seriously, can you post your room number so we can all avoid it? Seabourn should not be allocating a room like that to paying guests.

Hi NickNac69,

I haven't had exactly your problem but I do find Deck 4 to be noisier then elsewhere. We have sailed on that Deck twice, the second time was to grab a last minute cruise. The first cruise we did was noisier then the second. We would only sail that deck again if that was all that was available, the cruise was short and take earplugs.

However I admit I am sensitive to noise when trying to sleep. For example when we had a port stop in Moorea I didn't opt for the overwater bungalow when my friends and I stayed overnight at a hotel. I knew from experience the sound of the waves on the reef would keep me awake.

I know from speaking to others on the ship, they didn't seem to have the same problems. I know many who really like Deck 4, just not for us or it seems yourself.

Julie

I am surprised (not disagreeing). We have several times chosen deck 4, when it was the cheapest thing going, usually around 426 or 428, and had no problem. In every suite, including balconies, we have heard next door's loo flushing if we were in the bathroom, but nothing otherwise.

Apart from that apparent problem, we have found deck 4 quiet, as you have a small corridor on your own side of the ship, so fewer people passing by. And the suite is the same as the balconies, just with a fairly large window and no balcony - no problem if cruising in likely cold or wet weather. I think in the A grade nearer the bow you would hear anchoring etc.noise more.

We have stayed in 419 on Sojourn. The loudest noise in our suite was not the flushing, but the anchor or bow thrusters on docking. This would not be an issue on a transatlantic crossing, but it was our daily wake-up call in the Med.

I am surprised (not disagreeing). We have several times chosen deck 4, when it was the cheapest thing going, usually around 426 or 428, and had no problem. In every suite, including balconies, we have heard next door's loo flushing if we were in the bathroom, but nothing otherwise.

Apart from that apparent problem, we have found deck 4 quiet, as you have a small corridor on your own side of the ship, so fewer people passing by. And the suite is the same as the balconies, just with a fairly large window and no balcony - no problem if cruising in likely cold or wet weather. I think in the A grade nearer the bow you would hear anchoring etc.noise more.

I agree when we sailed deck 4 we were so far forward we did get the wake up call from docking, but we also got to watch the dolphins racing ahead!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Yes, we had some wierd loud knocking noise when we cruised Seabourn Odyssey last year. I think we were in Cabin 428. It was annoying but also very intermittent. No one could tell us what is was from. Our neighbor complained but really got no answer.

In spite of that we loved our cruise and would still book a Deck 4 cabin. For our cruise next year we are trying a A1 guarantee. Maybe we will get a balcony but if not we are fine with Deck 4. It does seem ridiculous to pay so much for a cruise and have to take earplugs but you can't do much about ship design. I would prefer the knocking to noisy neighbors.

We did a 16 day Trans-Canal on the Odyssey on deck 4. I cannot remember any strange or loud noises. We have experienced "unusual" noises on some other ships but we were simply thrilled with the Odyssey. Others have complained about a vibration that we never noticed either. Perhaps we were too busy enjoying ourselves to notice? I was very pleased with the cruise, the ship, the crew and most of the passengers.

We have only done one cruise on Odyssey - and were in a balcony. There certainly was vibration, waking you up and preventing sleep some nights. We have, however, also been in the 420s on both Sojourn and Quest, more than once, and never noticed the toilet flushing or any other noises. Certainly no vibration.

Odyssey was the first of these ships, and we have more or less decided not to go on her again. Could it be that it was a bit of a forerunner, and problems got sorted out during the build of the others?

• 2 months later...

I'd second the recommendation for a white noise machine. I bought a Lectrofan from amazon and it works a treat. Obliterates most room creaks and rattles for me and I am a light sleeper.

If the OP searches this forum they will find a similar complaint from an earlier poster -deck 4, multi toilet noise. Sadly they were flamed a bit in some replies.

I have never heard noises from other toilets on ships of any line - including on Seabourn, although Quest is their only one I have been on and never on deck 4, sorry. So in my experience, while your own toilet does make a noticeable vacuum suction noise when flushed, any intrusive multi toilet noise is not normal for most cabins - if this was usual it would be complained about all the time, but is not - and presumably may depend on location of main drainage terminals for the toilets. I know also you can search for noises (knocking type noises) on Seabourn on deck 4. I believe it has been mentioned that the large wall beside the end of the stairwell on deck 4 is to blame -some panels flexing more than expected, as far as I can recall.