Guarantee suites

divsec

What is the punishment suite?? And Isklaar how far out from sailing are you? Wondering when upsells appear ...?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There isn't an actual punishment suite. :)

But for me, it would be an interconnecting suite with noisy neighbours. It's a risk I'm prepared to take on this cruise. I'll pack earplugs and it's only 14 days!

I'm just over 21 days from sailing. I believe divsec had his initial offer quite far out, maybe 6 weeks or so?

Upsells don't always appear, it depends on how well the cruise has sold and how many have taken the GTY option. In fact this is only the 3rd time I've been offered an upsell.

If you booked with a TA they'll contact you if an upsell is available for you.

Save

Save

Save

There isn't an actual punishment suite. :)

But for me, it would be an interconnecting suite with noisy neighbours. It's a risk I'm prepared to take on this cruise. I'll pack earplugs and it's only 14 days!

I'm just over 21 days from sailing. I believe divsec had his initial offer quite far out, maybe 6 weeks or so?

Upsells don't always appear, it depends on how well the cruise has sold and how many have taken the GTY option. In fact this is only the 3rd time I've been offered an upsell.

If you booked with a TA they'll contact you if an upsell is available for you.]

We did get one offer from our TA a couple of months ago, which would have been ~4 months from sailing, so I have assumed if they are going to offer any more, that they may also be closer to sailing. I also wonder if being first time Seabourn passengers makes any difference in the likelihood. I rather doubt we would take one, given that we don't even know much about what matters to us and what doesn't yet!

We did get one offer from our TA a couple of months ago, which would have been ~4 months from sailing, so I have assumed if they are going to offer any more, that they may also be closer to sailing. I also wonder if being first time Seabourn passengers makes any difference in the likelihood. I rather doubt we would take one, given that we don't even know much about what matters to us and what doesn't yet!

That's interesting, it's the first time I've heard of an offer being made quite so far out.

I don't know whether being first timers or not affects it. I wasn't offered an upsell until I was quite high up the SB loyalty ladder, but it could just be coincidence.

It's actually never occurred to me to barter with them before I read your posts. I may give it a try if they send a second offer.

In all fairness SB did make a small improvement on the offer in their second upsell, not enough to tempt me but they tried. Should be half way to Athens in 48 hours!

What is the punishment suite?? And Isklaar how far out from sailing are you? Wondering when upsells appear ...?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't worry we are all joking, all the suites are delightful. Some slightly more so than others but still massively above average. There is no punishment suite!

Don't worry we are all joking, all the suites are delightful. Some slightly more so than others but still massively above average. There is no punishment suite!

I mostly knew that, but did think that maybe there was one suite that everyone hoped they would not get. Am just excited about the trip and when we signed up for OB I did it with the thought that the worst thing that would happen is that we would get a lovely suite on a great boat. And Drakes passage is only a small part of the trip!

I mostly knew that, but did think that maybe there was one suite that everyone hoped they would not get. Am just excited about the trip and when we signed up for OB I did it with the thought that the worst thing that would happen is that we would get a lovely suite on a great boat. And Drakes passage is only a small part of the trip!

We had a bit of a 'blow' in the Drake passage coming back up to Usuhaia but it only lasted for around 12 hours and did not disrupt either lunch or trivia. We just stayed off the outside decks (the Captain closed them) and on the lower decks. The stabilisers did a nice job of preventing the ship from rolling so it really wasn't all that bad.

Edited by Roxburgh

We had a bit of a 'blow' in the Drake passage coming back up to Usuhaia but it only lasted for around 12 hours and did not disrupt either lunch or trivia. We just stayed off the outside decks (the Captain closed them) and on the lower decks. The stabilizers did a nice job of preventing the ship from rolling so it really wasn't all that bad.

It sounds like that happens a lot, although I know it can be very rough and make people miserable for a while. I am choosing not to get worried about it ahead of time - either the swells or the cabin! It won't help and keeping my attention focused on the wonderful aspects of the trip put those few days in perspective, even at worst.

Too far out for a cabin countdown but it will be fun when it gets closer :D!

We were with Roxburgh and we were told by the expedtion staff that if one was right handed place an ear plug into your left ear and that would help with seasickness as its all to do with balance

If left handed plug in your right ear

I think thats the story if I remember correctly

It wasn't rough enough for us to try it

Safely aboard now, suite as expected, excellent lovely stewardess. Deck 5 steel balcony not noticed, and no problem.

Good to hear from you divsec.

I'm waiting for suite allocation and have never been on deck 5 previously so your reassurance about the balcony is most welcome.

No updates on improved offers from SB, I think a further offer may come through in the the next couple of days.

Have a fantastic cruise! Glad your stewardess is lovely too.

Back ashore now in Venice Airport. Suite 534 was excellent, no noise, negligible movement. Just fine. Quite a few changes since we last sailed. Food and serving wines improved, NF still pretty naff. Amazed to find the grill closed on two nights out of seven, also reservations required or recommended on all nights in Colonnade. Observation lounge early morning coffee gone, evening help yourself canapes gone. Crew still excellent but stretched. Good to see a few celeb S on board, and credit to all they were not pestered at all.

Pleased to hear you had a good time!

Shame about the observation lounge coffee, as so convenient for PH suites.

Do you happen to know who the maitre'ds were?

My friend has just returned from odyssey two weeks ago and mentioned some recognisable people were on board. Was one of them famous for his service to someone very famous?

My thoughts exactly. Apparently the person was very much into attention seeking!

If it's who I think it is, I can believe that about attention seeking! I think he's currently described as a 'media personality' Must admit I haven't given him a thought for about a decade, since his jungle experiences.

Edited by Isklaar

Just to update on the guarantee suite. I sail in less than 14 days and don't have an allocation as yet, which is my usual experience. A friend who is on Quest before me had allocation about 21 days before.

Received news from TA about a further 'offer' of an upsell to PH. Certainly not an amount that would tempt me for a short cruise. Also an offer to upgrade to a V6. Not at all tempted by that as for veranda suites I prefer deck 6 anyway.

If it's who I think it is, I can believe that about attention seeking! I think he's currently described as a 'media personality' Must admit I haven't given him a thought for about a decade, since his jungle experiences.

Flaming June - another Pinteresque moment for you. Or is it more Samuel Beckett?

Flaming June - another Pinteresque moment for you. Or is it more Samuel Beckett?

:confused:

What did I say ?

Or is Flamin June our mystery 'celeb' ? :eek:

Save

Edited to add I've just seen some other posts on similar vein and if someone has a problem with my use of English, it's not my first language.

Edited by Isklaar

Back ashore now in Venice Airport. Suite 534 was excellent, no noise, negligible movement. Just fine. Quite a few changes since we last sailed. Food and serving wines improved, NF still pretty naff. Amazed to find the grill closed on two nights out of seven, also reservations required or recommended on all nights in Colonnade. Observation lounge early morning coffee gone, evening help yourself canapes gone. Crew still excellent but stretched. Good to see a few celeb S on board, and credit to all they were not pestered at all.

I could not tell from your posts what ship you were on, but I can tell you that on the Quest in September there was coffee, juice, muffins, croissants etc in the Observation lounge each morning. (I was there at least half of the mornings). And at least on the several evenings I was there pre-dinner, there were canapes - both plates available from the bartender as well as passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app