One piece of advice for a new solo cruiser?

Lorraine1756

I've visited London twice myself and York once and now at 32 I'm taking the leap 8 October to go on a Mediterranean cruise! What would your one piece of advice to me be? I have puzzles around how can I go in the pool and keep my stuff safe and also around formal night but any tips would me much appreciated. Already got so much from this website but thought I'd ask those in the know, Thank you

I would recommend reading Europe Through the Back Door by Rick Steves. I call it my travel Bible. [emoji23] Definitely wear a moneybelt on land. A waterproof cell phone lanyard will keep your things dry and WITH YOU at the pool. Sit at a large table at dinner to meet lots of interesting people. For nights on the ship all you need to carry is your room keycard. A minipurse or clutch will work great if you find a lanyard tacky with evening wear. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another Welcome to Cruise Critic!

My most important tip for a solo cruiser, usually being one myself: If you wish to meet your fellow cruisers, when you enter a lounge for a drink, sit at the bar, not at a table. Usually, it is easy to engage others, including the bartenders, in a conversation if this is what you want.

Welcome, and well done for booking a cruise as a solo... :)

There will be a safe where you can keep all your valuables... it's unlikely that you'll need your passport again after you've arrived, but listen to the advice from the bridge, and check your daily paper which should tell you... Croatia can ask for passports in some ports. Only take enough €€ for a drink/meal/transport, and hide anything else, because ports do attract pickpockets.

You'll be safe by the ship's pool- all you'll need is your cruise card, which is how you pay for everything on board, and things like sunscreen. It's easy enough to pop back to your cabin for anything else.

Formal night is really formal on British managed ships, but not so much on other lines, so if you're with P&O, Cunard, Fred etc, expect the vast majority to dress up, at least with evening trousers and a special top.

On all ships you can opt out by eating in the buffet that night.

Listen for the singles meetings- on some it's for afternoon tea- because you might meet people who are going on excursions together, or joining a quiz team.

Oh, and make photo copies of your passport's page showing the number and place of issue, and of your insurance policy... we hope nothing happens, but it's better to have them with you. ;)

Do you have an EHIC card? Vital for the Med... if you haven't you can apply on line (free) but make sure it is the government's page, or some scrounger will apply for you and charge you! :eek:

Enjoy preparing- and don't stress- once you're on board it will all fit into place.

When I'm at the pool I have my key card, sun screen, some water, and maybe a book (actual paper book). Nothing anybody would want to steal. It's easy to head to my cabin for other items.

Everything else on the ship you generally enjoy the way everybody else does. You dress up for formal nights if it pleases you, or eat in the buffet if you'd rather not dress up. The beauty of solo travel is that you get to do as you please - you don't have to compromise.

I have cruised solo over 100 nights. It is great, you please only yourself. I generally ask for a large table at traditional dining but have also found anytime dining with a large table is good. Just be careful with anytime sometimes they want you seated so will offer/pressure you to take a single table.

Dining room for breakfast and lunch are open settings where you will meet other passengers. Nearly all lines hold a singles solo cruiser event where you can meet others cruising on their own.

I go to trivia and gave always been invited to join a group. Security on all ships is good, don't be concerned about leaving your things by the pool. Take a paperback to tuck your cruise card in if you are concerned.

If you are not familiar with ports consider taking a ship excursion or joining a private tour, lots of info on cruise critic ports board and if course Internet.

Even old ladies on their own like me can attract unwanted attention, let alone a young chicken like yourself.

Best thing is enjoy your cruise, take all normal precautions you would at home and have a great time.

My advice would be: don't feel self-conscious being solo. I've found that most people don't really "notice" that you're cruising alone, especially these days when there seem to be more and more people traveling on their own. Join in if you want to, or don't. Either way it's fine and you'll have a great time.

AT the pool on the ship, simply put your stuff into your tote, tell the folks sitting near you that you'll be taking a dip...and that should do it! You don't need to bring much to the pool...only your ship's key and personal stuff...like a book, sunscreen, towel.... You do NOT need any cash or credit cards with you on the ship! No one wants your cover up or flip flops!

I would request a large table at one of the traditional seating times, so you'll have tablemates to chat with....unless, of course, you WANT to eat alone!

Research your ports, so you will know something about places you've never been! A guidebook is very handy!

Thank you all for your replies, I'm definitely picking up lots of great advice. I've been looking through other posts and as long as I'm sensible I reckon I should be ok. And like a lot of folk are saying it is my holiday so I can do what I like and shouldn't worry what others think.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm definitely picking up lots of great advice. I've been looking through other posts and as long as I'm sensible I reckon I should be ok. And like a lot of folk are saying it is my holiday so I can do what I like and shouldn't worry what others think.

Absolutely correct. It is your cruise, do what you want. You do not have to sit at a large table if you do not want to. You do not have to do group tours if you do not want to.

for the pool: a pair of shorts with a pocket will keep your ship card. Or, if you want, a lanyard (personally, I abhor them). I keep my sunglasses on when I go into the pool, so no issue for me. At the beach: I have a waterproof case on a waistband that keeps ships card, a credit card, my ID, and a little cash safe and handy. In the city: I only take what I need for that day with me. I don't take a special anti-theft bag, just my cross body that I use in everyday life. I walk like I know where I'm going (even if I don't). I keep my wits about me and use common sense - many in group tours leave their common sense on board because the "herd" makes them feel safe and drop their guard.

Just do what you do when you venture to any place alone and you'll do well.

Absolutely correct. It is your cruise, do what you want. You do not have to sit at a large table if you do not want to. You do not have to do group tours if you do not want to.

for the pool: a pair of shorts with a pocket will keep your ship card. Or, if you want, a lanyard (personally, I abhor them). I keep my sunglasses on when I go into the pool, so no issue for me. At the beach: I have a waterproof case on a waistband that keeps ships card, a credit card, my ID, and a little cash safe and handy. In the city: I only take what I need for that day with me. I don't take a special anti-theft bag, just my cross body that I use in everyday life. I walk like I know where I'm going (even if I don't). I keep my wits about me and use common sense - many in group tours leave their common sense on board because the "herd" makes them feel safe and drop their guard.

Just do what you do when you venture to any place alone and you'll do well.

I love your style and confidence. That's exactly who I want to be and hope I can be. I have to wear a lanyard for work so really don't want to wear one, I have a cross body bag that I use daily that I'm taking....I did consider a small backpack but decided against it. Backpack is for hand luggage only.

Don't try to eat everything on the ship on the first day. Your system may take a day or two to adjust to the amount and type of foods you are likely to consume.

Top Tip: if you do not know something ASK. The staff are generally trying hard to please and will tell you if they know, and will refer you to the right place if they do not. Most answers can be found by reading the daily activity sheet thoroughly, however.

I have to wear a lanyard for work so really don't want to wear one

I have them punch a hole in my card, and then attach it to a bracelet so I don't have need for a pocket or purse (on the ship). I don't want to wear a lanyard either, and I bracelet idea works well for me - I have several bead-on-elastic style bracelets that I wear; they're easy on/easy off, and inexpensive enough that I can have flashy or low key ones to match my mood.

I love your style and confidence. That's exactly who I want to be and hope I can be. I have to wear a lanyard for work so really don't want to wear one, I have a cross body bag that I use daily that I'm taking....I did consider a small backpack but decided against it. Backpack is for hand luggage only.

I think my attitude comes from years of traveling solo for business and now the past 10 years for pleasure. I can take quite a bit in my cross body bag - I haul a lot in everyday life in it, so I just take out the stuff I won't need and add in the vacation stuff. My latest one looks like a leather cross-body messenger (it's actually faux), so it does not scream "hey, I'm a tourist." I'll adjust my gait to the "locals" around me - if they walk fast, I'll walk fast, slow, whatever.

I find it better now to take an iPad/iPhone/Android device with me than a tour book. If I need to look at something (directions, map), I can always find someplace where everyone else is looking at their devices - dive into a cafe/bar/store. Good excuse to grab a quick drink while looking up things.

Hi,

If you can manage London and New York, a cruise will be a piece of fabulous cake! The best part of cruising solo is that you can indulge yourself and do what you want when you want, guilt free. It's all about you. Most cruise people are outgoing and friendly, so don't be afraid to make eye contact (unlike NYC, LOL!) and say hello. And don't feel bad if you want quiet time on your own. The best part of solo travel is that a trip can be whatever you want it to be. Enjoy!

Hi there Lorraine1756.

I am older than you (60). I had cruised with my husband for several years prior to his death. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer he told me he'd love me to keep cruising because he felt like I would be travelling with a small, safe, friendly community (or large one in the case of the really big ships :D )

Since his death three years ago I have done three ocean cruises and two river cruises alone by choice. My husband was a very easy-going travel companion - he left all the planning and booking to me and enjoyed everything I had planned for each day. I have very limited finances now and from months of research for each trip I know what I need to see. I literally cannot afford to compromise because I don't have the money to return to see something I missed because I did something my companion preferred. I guess that sounds pretty selfish but needs must.

I am lucky that I am content with my own company most of the time. I find people are very open to chatting at the ship's rail, in buffet queues, sitting waiting for shows, lying by the pool etc. These short chats are often enough for me - there are many hundreds of people around you onboard which makes for great people-watching but can get a bit much. I have only eaten in the Main Dining Room twice - neither time was pleasant with loud, self-opiniated, bullying men dominating the conversation. I was put off for life!!!

The hint of taking a paperback, sunlotion, room key etc in a small tote when going to the pool is a good one. I wouldn't tempt fate by taking a tablet or kindle poolside, even if it was out-of-sight in a bag. I have never ever had anything stolen on board but there's always a first time.

The hint to use your cellphone for directions, maps etc on-shore is a good one (provided you have off-line maps or global roaming). Unfolding a huge map is a red-flag to a pickpocket! As the "slidergirl" says, everyone's burying their noses in their devices so you will look very much like a local.

On my Greek Islands cruise last year I started with a week of rail travel (Milan-Florence-Portovenere-Civitavecchia) and after my 9 night cruise I stayed on in Rome for 4 days. Like the other poster said, act confident and keep your cross-over bag against your body and you won't look like a potential victim. I had read posts with dire warnings of pickpocketing at Milan Centrale railway station. I spend hours google street-mapping places I intend to visit, to the point they seem very familiar when I get there. I got off my train, walked straight to the staircase I had seen on the internet and waited for my next train drinking coffee on a mezzanine high above the crowds. That relaxed coffee set me up with confidence for the whole of my month's trip!!

I do a mixture of ship's tours and DIY (do-it-yourself) tours. Again lots of Google street-mapping, researching public transport, etc. If it looks time-consuming, tricky or unsafe to do as a DIY shore excursion, I opt for a ship's excursion. My husband said to me "It's only money, keep safe!" I have never joined a shore excursion via the Roll Call on Cruisecritic but that could be a good option for you. Read the Roll Call for your sailing to get a sense of the personalities of the people travelling on your cruise - if they sound like your kind of people, I'm sure they will welcome you. From what I have read on Roll Calls, their private excursions aren't massively cheaper than the ship's offerings and they are often in mini-buses. They are, however, crafted to the cruisers exact requirements. People criticise the big buses the cruiselines use - I don't know about you, but being squeezed into a little mini-van to save $20 or so isn't my idea of good value.

But it's all "horses for courses." I love being in charge of my own holiday - ticking my must-see boxes, eating a light meal from the buffet back on my balcony in the peace and quiet after a day surrounded by people, watching a show or movie just a short stroll from my cabin.....just winging what I do, when I want to do it, not trying to second guess if a companion is hungry, happy, bored, tired etc.

Cruising is such a lovely safe way of travelling for all kinds of people, but especially for solo travellers. You can have company if you want it or solitude if you'd prefer.

I hope you have a wonderful time and get "bitten by the cruise bug!"

:)

Hi,

One piece of advice I can give, not just for solo's but for anyone is take a "normal" watch with you, either wind up or battery, because if you rely on a mobile phone for the time when off the ship in ports it may not be the same as "ships" time, it will automatically adjust to local time and they can be different.

Pete

Hi,

One piece of advice I can give, not just for solo's but for anyone is take a "normal" watch with you, either wind up or battery, because if you rely on a mobile phone for the time when off the ship in ports it may not be the same as "ships" time, it will automatically adjust to local time and they can be different.

Pete

For people who never wear a watch, another option is to just set the timer on your phone for however long you have to be on shore (eg you must be back at the dock in 6 hours and 30 minutes). That way you only need to look at the timer to see how much time you have left ashore, but can still have the clock register the local time.

Hi,

If you can manage London and New York, a cruise will be a piece of fabulous cake! The best part of cruising solo is that you can indulge yourself and do what you want when you want, guilt free. It's all about you. Most cruise people are outgoing and friendly, so don't be afraid to make eye contact (unlike NYC, LOL!) and say hello. And don't feel bad if you want quiet time on your own. The best part of solo travel is that a trip can be whatever you want it to be. Enjoy!

Ah, I think that Lorraine from Scotland meant the original York, not the New one! :)

Lorraine, you'll find that almost everyone you meet on board, from crew to passengers, will go out of their way to be friendly and help you.

Being on a ship is not at all like spending a night in a hotel, trying to make conversation with other people. Cruisers love to chat and share experiences.

Enjoy preparing, and enjoy that wonderful moment on board, sailing away, when you realise that you don't have to do anything at all if you don't want! :cool:

Elkay1955, you sound like a kindred sprit. I'm just a little older than you (62).

I always have to laugh at the people who say we must join the roll call, sign up for the group excursions, take a large table at dinner. I wonder how many of them have actually traveled solo.

I had the ugly experience on my first few cruises of having to sit in the MDR with others. Always got the "pity" play - "why are you by yourself", "you are so brave", etc. Some tried to "adopt" me as if I were some orphan who needed guiding on the cruise. I don't cruise to be pestered by a bunch of strangers, I cruise for the destinations and the SOLITUDE I can find on a ship. I actually do not enjoy the cruise environment for the most part, but I have do do what I have to do to do an itinerary I want to visit.

Elkay1955, you sound like a kindred sprit. I'm just a little older than you (62).

I always have to laugh at the people who say we must join the roll call, sign up for the group excursions, take a large table at dinner. I wonder how many of them have actually traveled solo.

I had the ugly experience on my first few cruises of having to sit in the MDR with others. Always got the "pity" play - "why are you by yourself", "you are so brave", etc. Some tried to "adopt" me as if I were some orphan who needed guiding on the cruise. I don't cruise to be pestered by a bunch of strangers, I cruise for the destinations and the SOLITUDE I can find on a ship. I actually do not enjoy the cruise environment for the most part, but I have do do what I have to do to do an itinerary I want to visit.

Different strokes........I travel solo almost all the time, and enjoy a large table at dinner and meeting different people. I don't mind if people think people should they should pity me because I'm traveling solo, because it says more about them than me. I won't be adopted, but I'm not offended by their offers - I know they're offering me something they think is valuable. The beauty of a cruise is that it's easy to choose either option (alone or socializing), or anywhere in between.