Seasick

famreynoso

we use ginger root pills, you can start taking them about a week out, but we don't. If we ever begin to feel nausea we just take one and its gone! btw.. we've tried all the others.. patches, bracelets and the pills, but the ginger works the best for us.

There are any number of home remedies. They work for some folks, not for others. Bonine (Meclizine) and Dramamine work for some folks. For my wife, patches are the ONLY thing that worked. Fortunately, they work great. You have to start them a day ahead of time and they are by prescription. If you have a problem, do something before the sea sickness starts. Its easier to prevent than get rid of.

Bonine works great, won't make you sleepy like Dramamine. Also seabands (acupressure bands) work amazing if you want to try something that is drug free. You may not need anything though, I get horrible motion sickness on land in a car and even carnival rides but very little problems on cruises. Only have light problems in certain areas like some of the show rooms I'll start to feel a little queasy but as soon as I get some fresh air I'm fine. Also felt it a bit during a couple of major storms we hit but everyone felt it then. Otherwise I've been 100% nausea free on board.

I suffer greatly from seasickness and ginger capsules or tablets do the trick for me. They are chemical-free and you just need to take it when you start feeling queasy (or even better, before then if you can anticipate it.) Relief is quick and no side effects like drowsiness. ( They are also pretty cheap).

But having said that, cruise ships are really stable and I only have had to take them once on over 10 cruises. I do, however, always have to take them on small boats.

Best to prevent than to deal with it after it starts. Trust me I know from experience!! [emoji40] I always used bonine but then someone told me it's just an antihistamine & I could take Benadryl instead so that's what I did last cruise & it worked great. With bonine I would always have some swelling in my ankles but had none of that with Benadryl. You will need to figure out what works best for you, but as I said, prevention is definitely preferable than trying to treat seasickness once it's started!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get severe motion sickness. I have good luck with Helio seeds, seabands and Dramamine or meclizine. All used at the same time. I keep ginger or ginger candy in my pocket at all times.

Helio seeds are teeny tiny acupuncture seeds that are put on your ear. They are n a tiny bandaid and will stay stuck on your ear for a week or so. I used to work with a Homeopathic Dr. he gave them to me. You can get the on line.

Watch those patches that go behind your ear. They gave me double vision and when I took them off I was violently ill.

Watch those patches that go behind your ear. They gave me double vision and when I took them off I was violently ill.

The patches do have a side effect of blurred vision. I experienced this when my patch fell off and I replaced it. At least for me it was caused by basically doubling up the dose. I still swear by these, for me it is what makes me able to enjoy my cruise. I do suggest reading the side effect info before using.

A Passenger asked my daughter where he could get seasick meds on the ship, she said one of the shops. Can you go to guest services and get something? We were experiencing rough seas the last day and a half. Our daughter was sick to her stomach for the entire last day. I didn't have anything to give her.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Seaband accupressure wrist bands work really well for me. On my recent Arctic cruise I only took bonine twice when the seas were particularly rough. Otherwise I was fine.

If you decide to try the patch, make sure you try it when you're safely at home first. That medication makes me hallucinate, and I'm really glad I found that out in my safe house and not on an unfamiliar ship.

Every cruise I've been on has dramamine tablets at reception or guest relations when the ocean gets rough. It'll make you very sleepy, but it works.

If you decide to try the patch' date=' make sure you try it when you're safely at home first. That medication makes me hallucinate, and I'm really glad I found that out in my safe house .[/quote']

My pharmacist made a point to tell me not to try while feeling fine at home that you are more prone to the side effects when you do not require the medication. Not sure if that is accurate or not. I have always waited until right before we leave port and fond the patch to be great.

I always start my "prevention" by picking the right cabin. Lower part of the ship, in the middle of the deck. And never stay inside, you must have at least a window.

After that, whatever works for you. For some people even salty crackers with green apples are enough. Some need a patch. Some take bonine or Dramamine. For some ginger works.

Edited by Dayenu