Fincantieri Shipyard Seized, including Vista

SeeBurd

We are in 1/14/17. Hope and pray everything is good by then. I'm paid in full so really don't want to miss this trip!

I am on the 1/22/17 sailing and I am not even remotely concerned. There is plenty of time between when the ship is to be finished and our cruises :)

Carnival Vista will leave the dry dock Saturday, 07/04 at 8:00 am as planned. The seized area is only waste storage.

This looks like an exact quote by poster Alberto Jacchia without any mention or credit.

This looks like an exact quote by poster Alberto Jacchia without any mention or credit.

Bravo and how astute you are as the quote was shared from the CCCC FB page where Alberto posted the information too. Keep up the great document forensic work and of course Grazie Alberto!

I haven't seen the FB reference (don't do FB), but from previous news reports, this was known, as stated that 150 workers were required to move the Vista from drydock to make room for the blocks of another ship, and the courts had agreed to this. I don't see any mention that work will resume on the Vista, and since Fincantieri sent 4000 workers home, I doubt that the "seizure" is restricted to a waste dump. While the dump is the site of contention, all assets physically located within the yard would be seized to ensure the yard's ability to pay any fine imposed. Vista and the Princess ship blocks would be included in those assets.

Edited by chengkp75

I haven't seen the FB reference (don't do FB), but from previous news reports, this was known, as stated that 150 workers were required to move the Vista from drydock to make room for the blocks of another ship, and the courts had agreed to this. I don't see any mention that work will resume on the Vista, and since Fincantieri sent 4000 workers home, I doubt that the "seizure" is restricted to a waste dump. While the dump is the site of contention, all assets physically located within the yard would be seized to ensure the yard's ability to pay any fine imposed. Vista and the Princess ship blocks would be included in those assets.

Are there any precedents in actions of this type?

Bravo and how astute you are as the quote was shared from the CCCC FB page where Alberto posted the information too. Keep up the great document forensic work and of course Grazie Alberto!

No clue what that is but that's not where I saw him post it. And without anything to back it up, I see someone repeating something that has no fact base.

Are there any precedents in actions of this type?

Do you mean with ships under construction being seized? Sure. Happens fairly frequently. My company had some tugs being built at Bender's Shipyard in Mobile, when we got wind that creditors were circling. We sent a bunch of engineers down there real quick to get the boats capable of being towed to a different shipyard, and took them before the yard's assets were seized and frozen.

Given the array of subcontractors used in shipyards, and the marginal profit structure of ship building/repair, there are frequent problems with yards not paying subs on schedule, or at all, and in many jurisdictions, even a ship under repair (which is not owned by the yard) can have a lien placed against it. I was on a ship in Tampa Shipyard when the US Marshals came down to seize the ship because the yard had not payed a subcontractor. That was when Tampa Ship was a Bender subsidiary, so his shady dealings were going on for quite some time.

And as I've said, the Regal Princess was seized for a short time last year in the same Fincantieri yard.

Edited by chengkp75

Do you mean with ships under construction being seized? Sure. Happens fairly frequently. My company had some tugs being built at Bender's Shipyard in Mobile, when we got wind that creditors were circling. We sent a bunch of engineers down there real quick to get the boats capable of being towed to a different shipyard, and took them before the yard's assets were seized and frozen.

Given the array of subcontractors used in shipyards, and the marginal profit structure of ship building/repair, there are frequent problems with yards not paying subs on schedule, or at all, and in many jurisdictions, even a ship under repair (which is not owned by the yard) can have a lien placed against it. I was on a ship in Tampa Shipyard when the US Marshals came down to seize the ship because the yard had not payed a subcontractor. That was when Tampa Ship was a Bender subsidiary, so his shady dealings were going on for quite some time.

And as I've said, the Regal Princess was seized for a short time last year in the same Fincantieri yard.

Interesting, add in some local politics (such as it is) and it becomes a real funhouse. We shall see how it all works out.

I'm just getting back to this thread after a couple of days and have to say I'm glad you've joined to lend your experience and expertise. I've been fascinated and well informed by your posts over the years, it's been invaluable to us wannabe ship building and operating experts. ;)

Are you sure? I heard it went from dry dock to wet dock presumably same shipyard.

John Heald posted on his FB page earlier today that it moved from dry dock to wet dock - no other details beyond that.

Carnival Vista lascerà il bacino a secco sabato 04/07 alle ore 8 come previsto, la zona interessata al sequestro è solamente quella riguardante lo stoccaggio dei rifiuti.

Carnival Vista will leave the dry dock Saturday, 07/04 at 8:00 am as planned. The seized area is only waste storage.

Carnival Vista will leave the pelvis to dry on Saturday 04/07 at 8 hours as planned, the area is only interested in seizure that concerning the storage of waste.

Carnival Vista will leave the dry dock Saturday, 07/04 at 8:00 am as planned. The seized area is only waste storage

It was in the news. The lift on the seizure was lifted last Friday. It wasn't really the Vista being seized n The Vista still belongs to the ship yard so it was part of the yard being seized. And JH has pictures of the ship in the water being moved to it's wet dock.