music on my balcony

jiggs

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

It would be low key stuff, nothing offensive or anything like that.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

-Is it okay, kept no louder than voices would be anyway.

-Just leave it inside and enjoy your noise in there if you must.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

leaving in a few days for another trip south to San Juan for a cruise on the Liberty. While packing I grabbed my bluetooth speaker that now goes with me a lot of places when I travel...I have no concerns with using it in the cabin as it would never be louder than my TV, but my question concerns my balcony.

Would it be considered rude to my neighbors next door, above, and below to have my music on my balcony. I'm pretty sure that there is no volume that I could set it at that some noise wouldn't escape my space. We're in a grand suite, so I do have more real estate between me and the next cabin.

So, say at sail away while I'm having a cocktail on the balcony waiting to get ready for dinner watching the island disappear into the distance, I have my bluetooth speaker on driven from my cellphone - at a volume my neighbors may know it is on, but probably can't identify the music...

-Am I 'that guy' - will I be made an example of on John Heald's FB page when someone responds 'I got a GS and the jack@ss next door played too much Jack Johnson'.

I know there are no shortage of opinions around here and that is why I am asking, so sound off!

I would say it would be okay if the volume is low. Just realize that the music you so enjoy may not be what others like. You may get someone who is playing something you totally dislike at a very high volume to cover your music:)

Most would tell you to use headphones. Personally, while it wouldn't bother me to "overhear" your music at a reasonable volume, I would find it very annoying to hear music coming from more than one source - lido, someone else's balcony, etc.

Don't have it on 24/7: be judicial about when you use it. Plenty of times you will be out there by yourself. If you see people out on their balconies, maybe lower volume. At some points, turn it off altogether.

Just be reasonable and it shoud all be good.

I just got off the Liberty and our neighbor had some music on one evening. As soon as he heard us talking he turned it off. There was no need to. The music was at a low volume and didn't bother us in the least (and it wasn't our style of music either). Playing it at a low volume is the same as talking on your balcony. I wouldn't expect myself or my neighbors not too talk on their balcony. As long as its at a respectable volume and is not filled with offensive language, then I say go for it. I brought mine but never got a chance to use it.

PLEASE don't play your music outside. I live in a small condo community and nothing is more annoying than being forced to listen to someone else's music.

It's rude! Just don't do it. That's why we have earphones and earbuds.

We do it all the time. The volume is low and I put the speaker on the little table right next to me.

If someone on either side comes out on their balcony, I turn it off.

It sounds like you are considerate of others so enjoy your music.

We do it all the time. The volume is low and I put the speaker on the little table right next to me.

If someone on either side comes out on their balcony, I turn it off.

It sounds like you are considerate of others so enjoy your music.

This! I also use mine out on the balcony quietly. For me, I have yet to find earbuds that are comfortable. I use them on the Lido if I want my music but I use my bluetooth speaker on the balcony and am very careful to keep it low and always turn it off if I hear a neighbor come outside.

With me, it isn't the music you have to worry about. It is my bad habit of wanting to sing along! Can't say I am the best singer, but I sure love to sing with my music. :D:eek:

This is a great thread. I have a balcony for the first time. I love music, I love the ocean, and I love a great cruise vacation. I wouldn't mind someone listening to their music on their balcony as long as it isn't loud or filled with a lot of curse words. I have three sea days on the cruise I am taking. I plan on listening to my music in the early afternoon on low as we are sailing the seas.

I'm in the do it camp. I don't think there is any question about your potential understanding of neighbors and politeness. You aren't bringing the Lido deck line dancing to your balcony. Earbuds are pretty difficult if you are having a conversation with a spouse, low music is easy to talk over.

On our last cruise we had one of the L shaped balcony rooms. Lounger, spent tons of time there. Neighbors were obviously older and couldn't hear each other. She came back from a spa session about some sort of detox and spent close to an hour telling her husband about the benefits of whatever the package was they were trying to sell! He had as much interest in hearing it as we did :p. We heard every detail when she told him, repeated it louder so he could hear her, and then again as she restarted and rehashed it twice! BUT, we coped and it wasn't an issue. Life is all about give and take, and no where is that more important than floating in the ocean!

A little music off and on from the next balcony, oh well. And really, it seems like neighbors are hit or miss and sometimes we never even hear them out there throughout the cruise!

Edited by jdcml

Mixed feelings on this one. Sometimes after all the noise of the day you may be annoyed by a neighbor playing music. I try and be considerate of the cabins around me so I would most likely use headphones.

I have to agree with this, sorry. If I'm going to pay a lot for a balcony, it's going to be so that I can unwind under my own terms. With the peace and solitude of the ocean. While you might find your music relaxing, I and others around you, might not. I would wear headphones.

If you kept the volume low and turned it off whenever anyone entered a balcony around you, I would not object.

I think I would go crazy though if I paid that much for a balcony and tried to unwind out there while people on balconies on each side of me were playing different music.

And though I like country music, island music, rock and classic, it would irritate me to hear rap or hip hop even at a low volume and people who like rap and hip hop would probably be irritated by hearing country.

Edited by tallyho8

I bring a Bluetooth speaker all the time. I keep it on really low right next to my chair. When I stand up to go back in the cabin, I can barely hear it. So I know its probably not bothering the neighbors.

That being said, yeah, if someone wants to rock out for a bit at a reasonable time of day, I'm not going to complain. We all have our moments. :)

headphones are an option for lido, but as a previous poster said, it will be 3 of us and it would just be background music. I don't know if I'll even use it, but I just wanted to see what the reaction to the question would be.

I respect other's personal space and understand not wanting to hear my music. We also paid a lot of the space and do spend more time than many in our cabin and want to use the space. I'll set it up in the middle of the balcony and travel to each end and see what the experience is.

I'll see how it works out. If the sound travels off the steel and windows more than I predict I'll just keep it in the room. They're going to hear us eating breakfast out there and a six year old playing with his cars and planes out there as well.

Please don't do it. There is nothing worse than forcing your own music preference onto others. I am a music lover, but sailing on a balcony cruise next door to someone who played their music loudly and continuously the whole cruise was enough to make me want to jump ship. Play it in your cabin or in your shower, but please don't play it on your balcony.

Why take the chance of intruding on your neighbors idea of a vacation. Use earphones or take it indoors. Just seems like the polite thing to do.

We have so much noise in our lives these days with all manner of rude and intrusive ring tones, key pad bleeps and folks on cell phones in the most inappropriate places. A lot of folks might just want to sit on the balcony and enjoy the peace and quite.

Edited by travler27

We book balcony cabins so we can listen to the ocean, not our neighbor's music. We've had "that guy" playing music on his balcony and we were quite annoyed. Please use headphones when on your balcony.

I commend you for your thoughtfulness in asking.

Well, you're definitely not "that guy" because you are making an effort to be considerate of others. I would say use headphones/earbuds when the ship is at sea, but if you stay aboard on a port day, then play your music without the headsets.

Hope you have a great trip!

Play your music on the balcony at a reasonable volume. To me it's the same as listening to people talk on the balcony. There are no rules stating one must be silent on their balcony.

Just be considerate with the volume. In my opinion, it should not be louder than a conversational volume.