Queen Victoria - C3 or A6 cabins

Cruisingforfun2000

Hi, am I better off getting a C3 cabin (Deck 1, oceanview, somewhat middle of the boat) or getting a A6 cabin (Deck 4, balcony, towards the end of the boat)? I'm worried about any fumes or noise at the back of the boat.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

When is your cruise and what area are you going to?

Assuming there are no strong budgetary reasons for choosing the C3 over the A6 then I would go for the balcony. We have had balcony cabins on 5 Deck and 7 Deck, both of which were near the stern of the ship and we encountered no problems with noise or fumes. However, if you are going somewhere in winter, particularly Northern Europe or North America, then the weather may mean that you don't get as much use out of the balcony as you would in say the Mediterranean in summer, so the cheaper ocean view cabin may be a more sensible choice.

J

Thanks for the tip on the weather. I didn't even considered that issue. Clearly you can tell I'm still a novice :p

It's a 7-day cruise beginning on November 24th. Starting in Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Cartagena, Gibralter, 2 sea days and ending in Southampton.

The difference in price is not that much (~40/person) so I rather just go for the better room. The square footage seems about the same.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the tip on the weather. I didn't even considered that issue. Clearly you can tell I'm still a novice :p

It's a 7-day cruise beginning on November 24th. Starting in Rome, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Cartagena, Gibralter, 2 sea days and ending in Southampton.

The difference in price is not that much (~40/person) so I rather just go for the better room. The square footage seems about the same.

Appreciate the help.

Nice itinerary. The weather in the Med in November can be a bit iffy, but personally, I'd still go for the balcony. Hope you have a terrific cruise. QV is a lovely ship and you will really enjoy yourself on board.

J

Oops, made a mistake. A6 cabin (deck 4, balcony) is at the front of the boat, not the back of the boat. Does that make a difference? Will it rock more in the front vs. the back?

I've never had a cabin in the forward part of the ship, but there is some anecdotal evidence on here that noise levels are higher in the forward cabins (it seems that there is some kind of mysterious creaking that goes on). One of the problems is that everyone has a difference level of "noise tollerance", so a noise that will keep one person awake all night wouldn't trouble another person in the slightest. Personally I could sleep through a small tactical nuclear strike but, hey, that's just me. I will say this though, QV in general terms, is about the quietest ship I've ever travelled on.

I still say go for the balcony - it's a great place to be when entering and leaving port, for instance and, even with the doors shut you still have a nice sea view.

J

I have had an A4 right near the front (6011) during a cold Norway trip. The sea was pretty flat most of the time but we noticed no movement at all andcertainly no noise. It was a lovely room and I would certainly recommend the balcony rooms as Cruachan has already said.

Sarah

I would avoid 4001 at all costs. I had it last Novemeber and it was a free upgrade from a C5, BUT it was right next to a door marked Crew Only, which was in frequent use day and all night. The door was allowed to slam and on one occasion a crew party kept me awake till I phoned to complain at 2am!

Archived